My "secret" to killer edibles.

• Thread starter socks4free
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ninjadip

ninjadip

haha that's awesome! Now you got me all riled up and ready to make a batch of oil and perhaps take a dive into making gummies.
Yes!! i'm so excited, i already got rid $$ of all of them but one for me. Using that Insta Pot for canna oil was really easy, big game changer for me. No need to put money into another one-use appliance.

Just ordered a lollipop mold and some flavors to do some canna pops. Got a few request for lollipops, people say they are gummied out lol. Making a gummy nerd-rope is on my list though, i saw that mold online as well.

I most likely will make a thread on my edibles or something. I can see me having a weekly menu for my local peeps.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Yes!! i'm so excited, i already got rid $$ of all of them but one for me. Using that Insta Pot for canna oil was really easy, big game changer for me. No need to put money into another one-use appliance.
If you haven't had an explosion yet, you haven't been using your insta pot long enough.

the rrock

the rrock

I started growing weed back in 2019 and as such I had a lot more bud than I had access to before and I quickly realized It was more enjoyable for me to just eat edibles than smoke as it last so much longer so I started making edibles and slowly perfected the process I use.

Here's the process I use to make my coconut oil extract. First you start by preheating the oven to 235°F. Now start breaking up any bud you are gonna use by hand into little chunks in a Pyrex glass dish. (I use pie dishes* for this) You fill the dish with however much bud you want then cover it good with tinfoil so it doesn't completely stink and so any THC that gets vaporized will stay within the dish so it should be as airtight as possible. Throw this in the oven for 45-75 mins depending on amount in the dish. Take it out of the oven and let it sit for 5-10 mins so any vaporized cannabinoids will re solidify onto the bud. Now your bud is decarbed (activated) For the next 12 hours I put this bud with as much coconut oil as you are trying to use (I use 1-3 cups usually), a couple cups of water and the decarbed weed in a crockpot on slowcook, high temp. Stirring occasionally. Then for the next 12 hours you want to turn it to slowcook low temp. then strain the weed out(put weed in potato ricer** and squeeze liquids out over 8" steel mesh strainer***) so all the liquids go into pyrex glass dishes (i use bread pans****) and then throw the dishes in the fridge(let the oil solidfy for 12 hours). then add fresh oil and water to the crock pot to do a 2nd batch of oil from it and let that sit for another day on low temp stirring occasionally. Then I again strain the weed out so all the liquids. (But this time I really squeeze the potato ricer** good to make sure I get every ounce of liquid out of it)go into pyrex glass dishes and throw the dishes in the fridge and let the oil solidfy for 12 hours again. once that's done you take the oil off the top keep that and dump the water. The 2nd batch of oil I save until the next time I need to make oil and I'll use that as about half of the oil I use for the next batch. This has brought my edibles from good to "the best" anyone I know has ever tried, after consuming my edibles anyone else's edibles I've tried even the dispensary ones just don't cut it.

Right as I put. The freshly decarbed bud in with the water and oil and mix it up a little.
View attachment 1319277after the first batch of oil is extracted it is basically just mush
View attachment 1319278
View attachment 1319279

View attachment 1319280

View attachment 1319282
View attachment 1319283
View attachment 1319281
MBM machine ive been using for 20+ years makes life so much easier, I can go from bud to full blown killer edibles in 6hr or less(including decarb).
Somehow someway this machine gets even the heavyweights laid back Lenny.Instapot is what they should have named it.
Again this is a great thread with lots of info, thank you socks

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Everclear is available in Indiana at 190 proof works even better- and yes water container affects quality in my opinion
My kids live in Indiana. It would be pretty easy to get one of them to bring me up a bottle of it next time they come this way. I'll mention it to my son-in-law. I will be seeing him soon.

Sitka_Bruce

Sitka_Bruce

Question about using jars in a crockpot, I have seen some recipes that utilize almost a double boiler method, putting the oil and bud in a mason jar and cooking it in a slow cooker water bath. I would like to do this to cut down on the smell mainly. Some recipes I have seen for this method don't use water, not sure why.
My question is should I still use water? Does this method change the necessity for it?

M

MotaMan4560

Question about using jars in a crockpot, I have seen some recipes that utilize almost a double boiler method, putting the oil and bud in a mason jar and cooking it in a slow cooker water bath. I would like to do this to cut down on the smell mainly. Some recipes I have seen for this method don't use water, not sure why.
My question is should I still use water? Does this method change the necessity for it?
If you just put the jars in with no water then they just heat from bottom - with the hot water the solvent/bud solution is heated evenly all around. I just use a Magic Butter Machine - throw in solvent / decarbed weed - set and forget.. Reclaim your alcohol solvent with your tabletop distiller or cook with your coconut oil extraction.

My coconut oil is killer and makes a great rice krispie and gummies too.. I just did a batch of MMO (MotaManOil) - packed in oral syringes and can either ingest or smoke - winner winner chicken dinner!

But I digress - I would use a water bath.

MotaMan

Sitka_Bruce

Sitka_Bruce

If you just put the jars in with no water then they just heat from bottom - with the hot water the solvent/bud solution is heated evenly all around. I just use a Magic Butter Machine - throw in solvent / decarbed weed - set and forget.. Reclaim your alcohol solvent with your tabletop distiller or cook with your coconut oil extraction.

My coconut oil is killer and makes a great rice krispie and gummies too.. I just did a batch of MMO (MotaManOil) - packed in oral syringes and can either ingest or smoke - winner winner chicken dinner!

But I digress - I would use a water bath.

MotaMan
Oh awesome, thank you, I will definitely do a water bath
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I am asking if when using this method, should I still use water as an ingredient in the oil? Or does using a water bath method in jars eliminate the need to add water to the oil?

steamroller

steamroller

No water in oil.
Just place jar in water bath to cook.

sambapati

sambapati

This is a pretty well-written piece on the molecular structure of edibles and how their consumption differs from other methods of ingesting weed. It is a few days old, but haven't seen it on our site.

salon logo
subscribe

Search
Contribute
Keep Salon Independent

Why eating cannabis edibles feels so different from smoking weed, according to experts​

Nightmare trips are much more common when eating edibles. There's a bizarre scientific explanation why that is​

Staff Writer

PUBLISHED MARCH 4, 2023 2:00PM (EST)​

Edible cannabis products are displayed at Essence Vegas Cannabis Dispensary before the midnight start of recreational marijuana sales on June 30, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
Edible cannabis products are displayed at Essence Vegas Cannabis Dispensary before the midnight start of recreational marijuana sales on June 30, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
https://www.salon.com/2023/03/04/wh...rent-from-smoking-weed-according-to-experts/#

Ask anyone who's experimented with ingesting cannabis edibles, and you're apt to hear at least one uncomfortable story involving them. Mary, a retired nurse from Oregon, said she once went to a party, ate too many marijuana brownies and woke up under the coffee table hours later.
"I barely knew the people, and was very confused when their dog started licking my face," Mary told Salon. She also relayed another uncomfortable incident when she took 100mg of THC capsules on an airplane. THC is the active drug in marijuana that makes people feel stoned. "I went to the bathroom and got lost and had to have the flight attendant help me find my seat. I was too high to be embarrassed," she recalls.
What makes edibles so unpredictable in a way that inhaling cannabis doesn't? The reason is that eating cannabis produces metabolites that are technically a different drug from THC entirely.
Advertisement:
Others shared stories of gobbling cannabis candies like, well, candy, which triggered horrible panic attacks or feelings of psychosis. Sometimes these stories were more amusing than uncomfortable, such as falling asleep in the parking lot of a concert and waking up when the show was over and everyone was leaving. After accidentally ingesting vape cartridge oil, Jamie, an editor from Oregon who requested not to use her real name, thought her hands were disappearing.

"I forgot where I was for over an hour and had to use Google on my phone to find… myself," Jamie told Salon. "I didn't sleep at all, even after taking some of my prescription Xanax, so acute was the panic. I could tell I was in an Airbnb, but I couldn't remember what city or country I was in."

And there are dozens of tales of taking an edible, feeling nothing, then taking way more. Of course, when it finally does kick in, it can be an overwhelming experience, as happened to New York Times writer Maureen Dowd.
Yet smoking a joint or puffing a THC vape pen doesn't tend to send people spiraling in quite the same way. What makes edibles so unpredictable in a way that inhaling cannabis doesn't? The reason is that eating cannabis produces metabolites that are technically a different drug from THC entirely.
Our bodies have nervous systems, digestive systems, immune systems and they also have endocannabinoid systems (ECS). The research on the ECS is still relatively new, so we're not entirely sure how this system works, but it plays a big role in mood, immunity and homeostasis, or general balance throughout the body. It was discovered in the '90s by scientists studying cannabis, hence the name.
Cannabis plants coincidentally produce drugs like THC and CBD, a more medicinal cannabinoid, that can operate on receptors in the ECS. This is why THC gets people high, while other cannabinoids like CBG, CBN and THCV can stimulate different health-promoting pathways in the body. THCV, for example, is associated with lower weight, though the way it works is too complex for weed to constitute a weight-loss drug.
Advertisement:

People take cannabis for a lot of different reasons, but how they take it, known as the route of administration, is just as important as the dose or the type of cannabinoid. Smoking brings a drug directly into the bloodstream via the lungs. Eating the same drug changes the way the body breaks it down, which can result in a totally different intoxicating effect.
"Oral ingestion of cannabis, such as THC and CBD, results in significant first-pass effect, which means that the cannabinoid compounds are circulated to the liver where they are metabolized or broken down into compounds called metabolites," Dr. Bonni Goldstein, author of the book "Cannabis is Medicine," told Salon. Goldstein is also the medical director at Canna-Centers, a California-based medical practice devoted to medical marijuana treatment.
The main metabolite that edibles produce is called 11-OH-THC, its full scientific name being 11-hydroxy-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. Even though it has THC in its name, 11-OH-THC is technically a different drug than THC, full name delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. Both drugs will get you stoned, but 11-OH-THC is estimated to be about four times as potent as THC. The high also lasts much longer and can be more sedating for many people, Goldstein says.
Advertisement:

Want more health and science stories in your inbox? Subscribe to Salon's weekly newsletter The Vulgar Scientist.

This is partially due to the fact that 11-OH-THC crosses the blood-brain barrier more easily, traversing the protective layer between the blood vessels in the brain and the brain tissue itself. More of the drug in the brain can equal more intoxicating effects.
Smoking cannabis produces 11-OH-THC as well, but far less of it. "After oral ingestion, the ratio of 11-OH-THC to THC is about 0.5:1 to 1:1, whereas inhalation results in ratios of 11-OH-THC:THC of about 1:20," Goldstein explains. Depending on one's genetics, however, this ratio can differ. An enzyme in the liver called CYP2C9 is responsible for chopping up THC into 11-OH-THC. Some people have more of this enzyme than others.
"Your genetics will also play a factor in this. Some people have different variants of that CYP2C9, so it actually makes it less effective at metabolizing and effectively getting the THC out," Kyle Boyar, a cannabis scientist based in San Diego who has been studying the plant's chemistry for over a decade, told Salon. Boyar was previously the vice-chair of cannabis chemistry for the American Chemical Society and specializes in cannabis testing and analytical chemistry. He says it can take longer for the body to excrete 11-OH-THC compared to THC. "So you're gonna get higher for longer because it's going to hang around longer in your system," he adds.
Advertisement:

Hence, the reason edibles feel different is because they are literally different drugs involved. Knowing this, it can be easier to use edibles in a way that won't cause a dreadful experience.
First of all, check the package for how much is contained and what ratio of cannabinoids are present. Some products will contain just THC, others include THC and CBD, or other "minor" cannabinoids like CBN or CBG. All of these different cannabinoids have different properties — CBN is great for sleep, for example — and their ratios will impact the experience. A standard dose of THC is considered five milligrams, but its effects will vary based on personal tolerance or how often someone uses cannabis.
"Those new to cannabis should start low and go slow, so as to avoid any adverse side effects. Dosing for new users ranges from 1 to 2.5 mg of THC," Goldstein says.
Second, respect the lag phase. Give it time for an edible to kick in. You can always eat more, but you can't eat less. If it's a product you haven't tried before, don't eat half the package.
Advertisement:

"It is recommended to wait one to three hours for the effects to kick in," Goldstein says. "If no effect is felt after three hours, another low dose can be taken or wait until the next day to try a slightly higher dose."
Delta-8-THC, which is literally only one carbon bond different than delta-9-THC, can feel radically different.
Some marijuana edibles are designed to kick in faster. Many dispensaries offer edible products that use specialized ingredients to increase the bioavailability of the drug, or how much is absorbed by the stomach. Some are nanoemulsified into tiny oil-in-water droplets or tweaked to attach to a sugar molecule, which means the THC molecule is specially modified so that it is soaked up into the bloodstream faster and stays intact longer. That means presumably less 11-OH-THC, if that's something you're trying to avoid.
Advertisement:

"Basically, these are all just different systems of encapsulating your molecule so that the bodily more readily uptakes it," Boyar says. "Getting it into a form where the body will absorb it more readily will basically prevent less liver transformation and get it more in its native form."
Unfortunately, the proliferation of hemp-derived cannabinoids have made the entire cannabis industry a little more unpredictable. Thanks to a loophole in the 2018 Farm Bill that legalized hemp (a breed of cannabis that can't get anyone stoned), many companies are selling products like delta-8-THC or other semi-synthetic blends of THC analogs including HHC, THCP and THC-O acetate, though some of these were recently banned by the Drug Enforcement Administration.
Many of these THC analogs have a higher potency than THC, meaning they can make someone feel more intoxicated or stoned. But delta-8-THC, which is literally only one carbon bond different than delta-9-THC, can feel radically different.
"There's certainly less anxiety associated with delta-8 products. It's associated with a little less discomfort or anxiety," Boyar explains. "So some people prefer delta-8 for that very reason. It is a different high entirely."
Advertisement:

The chemistry of cannabis can be complex, and even slight changes to these molecules can change how the body reacts to them. Delta-8 occurs naturally in cannabis plants, only at much lower levels. So the problem isn't this particular cannabinoid, but how it's produced.
"Hemp-derived cannabinoids such as delta-8-THC and THC-O-acetate are problematic," Goldstein says. "These compounds are made through a process called acid catalysis, which also results in the production of a number of other synthetic compounds that have not been subjected to toxicology evaluations. Emergency rooms throughout the U.S. are seeing increased visits due to adverse effects of delta-8-THC, such as psychosis, depression and suicidal ideation."
"As a cannabis clinician, I have been advising my patients to avoid these synthetic products and only to use home-grown cannabis or tested cannabis products from state-licensed dispensaries," Goldstein added. "Since there is no oversight or regulation of the manufacturing process of these synthetic cannabinoids, contaminants such as heavy metals and other impurities are a major concern in addition to the unknown safety profile."
Advertisement:

The problem is the delta-8 market isn't as well regulated as the legal cannabis markets in some states. Shoddy chemistry is part of the equation, but we also know very little about what metabolites form from these newish semi-synthetic THC analogs. And the problem seems to be worse in states like Texas or Alabama that don't provide regulated access to delta-9 products.
Cannabis chemistry is complex, but simply paying attention to what you're ingesting is a prudent way to avoid a bad time. But while some people argue that perhaps cannabis shouldn't come in candy form at all, education on this issue can be lacking, so it's not always someone's fault if they overdo it and didn't know better. Just as beer bottles have labels warning consumers to drink responsibly, edible consumption requires the same level of personal duty, but better regulation is also critical.
Read more
about cannabis and marijuana

By TROY FARAH​

Troy Farah is a science and public health journalist whose reporting has appeared in Scientific American, STAT News, Undark, VICE, and others. He co-hosts the drug policy and science podcast Narcotica. His website is troyfarah.com and can be found on Twitter at @filth_filler

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Herbal & Butter Infusion Machine • Make Magical Herbal Infusions with Press of a Button • Herbal Butter Just Like Magic https://a.co/d/gwmYg1R

This is my secret 😉 it's so easy and perfect every time.

M

MotaMan4560

Good article Sam - interesting read.. Buzz from ingesting was always different and now we know why - better in some cases. No water in oil Sitka --

MotaMan

Top Bottom