My seeds won't sprout

• Thread starter Maelstrom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Maelstrom

Maelstrom

I started growing back in 2009, and for several happy years I got nearly a %100 success rate sprouting seeds and rooting clones. I don't know what happened or what I'm doing wrong but it seems like, no matter what methods I'm using, I can't get seeds to sprout or clones to take root since about 2015 (I stopped growing except for clones gifted to me by friends). I live in Southern California. Could there be some kind of mold growing in my house preventing my success? If you have any insight as to what my problem could be I would love to hear from you. Cannabis was my livelihood for 6 years. I would like to get back in the groove.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
How are your clones dying? Are they just falling over in the dome to death? How many days till you feel they are dead?
I’ve had big problems with clones in the past but now I’m in the 90% sucsess range.

Maelstrom

Maelstrom

The clones stay green and perky for 2-3 weeks but they won't sprout roots, after 3 weeks algae grows on the pods and the clones yellow and die. My methods used to get roots in 5-7 days with all pods uniformly ready to plant by 10 days (Jiffy pods, Great White, seaweed, Hygrozyme, under 40w fluorescents). Some people have said I'm overdoing it but my success was undeniable. With my seeds I always just went straight in to Jiffy pods with plain water, nothing fancy. But the seeds rot in the pods now. I've moved on to the pre-moistened pods (Root Riot) but still no success.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I started growing back in 2009, and for several happy years I got nearly a %100 success rate sprouting seeds and rooting clones. I don't know what happened or what I'm doing wrong but it seems like, no matter what methods I'm using, I can't get seeds to sprout or clones to take root since about 2015 (I stopped growing except for clones gifted to me by friends). I live in Southern California. Could there be some kind of mold growing in my house preventing my success? If you have any insight as to what my problem could be I would love to hear from you. Cannabis was my livelihood for 6 years. I would like to get back in the groove.
So cal here as well and no issues popping seeds and my best plant last fall was a clone of my best plant (killed by a gopher).

Give us a little more info, where are you trying to pop seeds, indoors? What methods/mediums are you trying? Temp?

I'm an outdoor grower and pop seeds in a heated tray (when it's cold) in either coco or rockwool with no issues. Just popped a dozen purple basil and a dozen snap peas.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
The clones stay green and perky for 2-3 weeks but they won't sprout roots, after 3 weeks algae grows on the pods and the clones yellow and die. My methods used to get roots in 5-7 days with all pods uniformly ready to plant by 10 days (Jiffy pods, Great White, seaweed, Hygrozyme, under 40w fluorescents). Some people have said I'm overdoing it but my success was undeniable. With my seeds I always just went straight in to Jiffy pods with plain water, nothing fancy. But the seeds rot in the pods now. I've moved on to the pre-moistened pods (Root Riot) but still no success.
I can’t comment on the seeds but as far as clones I think you need to drop the great white seaweed and hygrozyme.
I’d go with soaking the cubes in a 1/4 strength veg mineral base with a tad of Calmag. Make sure your not squeezing your plugs just shake a bit of the water out of them.
From here if you take the dome off daily for 5-10 minutes then spray the dome real well with a small spray bottle of plain water and put the dome back on. If you do this you shouldn’t have to actually water the rooters until you have roots popping out. Sounds like maybe you are keeping your plugs to wet and not enough humidity in the dome.

Lisa22

Lisa22

I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same problem with not getting my seeds to sprout. Question - after the coffee filter method and you have placed your seed in soaked rock wool (have order root riot cubes to see if helps) do you then put them under the lights or do you keep them in the warm dark until they come up? I am putting mine into the rock wool in small cup after rock wool soaked with a dusting of dirt on the top and then on heating pad in domed tray, but then they don't come up. The seeds I'm losing are expensive - ouch! Looking for advice.

growsince79

growsince79

Temperature is very important. I like 80-85f for seeds and clones. Put them in wet (not soaked) paper towel and place in ziplock bag. Set them on top of the hot water tank. They should pop in 2-5 days.

Lisa22

Lisa22

Temperature is very important. I like 80-85f for seeds and clones. Put them in wet (not soaked) paper towel and place in ziplock bag. Set them on top of the hot water tank. They should pop in 2-5 days.
Just did that. But I did get some of them to spout but then after putting them in rock wool they did not continue to come up. Will try straight from spout to dirt. After spout put in dirt/rockwool do you then put them under lights or back in the dark?

growsince79

growsince79

Just did that. But I did get some of them to spout but then after putting them in rock wool they did not continue to come up. Will try straight from spout to dirt. After spout put in dirt/rockwool do you then put them under lights or back in the dark?
I keep them under cfl 24hrs for the first 2 days then 18-6.

growsince79

growsince79

Thank You. If seeds have not come up (sprouted then put in dirt under lights but then did not come up) for 7 days should I give up?
i guess that would depend on how many seeds you have.

Lisa22

Lisa22

i guess that would depend on how many seeds you have.
So they still might come up? I'm just not up to speed on seeds - have sprouted twice and did not have this problem. This time I've tried 3 different sets of beans from 2 different vendors and none are coming up. So trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Wonder if it's winter and so just not warm enough but have on warming pads - wondered if they just take weeks instead of days and I'm being inpatient.

How far do you have starts from lights? Have leds and have them at 21 inches.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Thank You. If seeds have not come up (sprouted then put in dirt under lights but then did not come up) for 7 days should I give up?

I have had some seeds take up to 20 days and other strains consistently come up in 2-4. If the heating pad is not enough try using warm water.

Lisa22

Lisa22

I have had some seeds take up to 20 days and other strains consistently come up in 2-4. If the heating pad is not enough try using warm water.
Thank you - will try being more patient - great farm you have going there. Really really beautiful to see everything so healthy and happy.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Thank you - will try being more patient - great farm you have going there. Really really beautiful to see everything so healthy and happy.

Much appreciated ☺

edit: Just incase you are talking about the video, that's not me.

Last edited:
Lisa22

Lisa22

This is great - thank you. It's amazing how much time you can spend looking on line and NOT find something that shows it like this. Already has helped - I think my water was room temp buy too cold soaking my rock wool and for watering - the grow room is kept cool to help dissipate the heat from the lights. Again thank you - so nice to have the people on this board!

Lisa22

Lisa22

After watching the video - he keeps talking about putting the seeds in the plugs but never gets to that point. It looks like he does that and then puts them under lights right away - I thought seeds needed darkness to sprout.

Lisa22

Lisa22

Tried to find the full video or the 2nd part of this and can't even find it on his webpage - any other links? Thank you

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

The video I shared was Episode 5 of growers university season 2.

So the follow up videos you are looking for are
Season 2 episode 6

and Season 2 episode 7

Sunset is an og, I fully recommend all of the growers university videos, especially season 1. He never got to finish season 2 because he everything in the fires.

Lisa22

Lisa22

The video I shared was Episode 5 of growers university season 2.

So the follow up videos you are looking for are
Season 2 episode 6

and Season 2 episode 7

Sunset is an og, I fully recommend all of the growers university videos, especially season 1. He never got to finish season 2 because he everything in the fires.
How funny - I can't get 1sr one to play - 2nd one give me a screen that says age restricted - hysterical as I'm old! Is there a cost to subscribe? If I subscribe can I see the videos? Like I said even on his web site they are not there so wondered if its subscribe material. Thanks for the hassle of trying to help!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom