My solution for growing from seed everytime

• Thread starter HypnoToad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HypnoToad

So, from my research (new grower here, so it's all "research" at this point), it seems that the biggest drawback to growing from seed is the lack of consistency in phenotypes as you would see in a series of clones, and the fact that you will have to cull the males if you wish to grow Sinsemilla.

So, basically, growing from clones is easier.

But I want to try different strains, and yes dammit, I want to grow a plant from seed. Typically in any field, doing things manually at first helps develop a best practice mentality instead of bad habits.

And so, I've bought the seeds, and here is how I plan to grow them:

1. Using 2 Ikea Hopen Wardrobes, I will create 2 flowering chambers.
2. The wardrobes are 92" tall by 24" deep and 31" wide, providing me with plenty of room to add a cloning germination station inside 1 unit, and a veg chamber in the other if I wish.
3. To keep things simple, everything will be grown in smart pots (2-3 gallons), and fed a 1 part organic compost tea nutrient formula that I got from eBay. The medium will probably be a soiless medium or an organic soil that's not "too hot". In addition to the 1 part organic compost tea formula, a foliar spray tonic will be applied . The entire feeding schedule is TBD so far.
4. The lighting is simple. Both flowering chambers will be lit with a single 250W CMH or a single 400W CMH bulb that will be in an air cooled reflector.. The 250W will be used if the electrical bill becomes an issue with my roommates.
5. If I decide to expand by adding more chambers, they will use HO T56 bulbs since they have a very low profile.

So basically, once things are running, all the plants will start out in one flower chamber. Once sex can be identified, I will remove all but the best male and 1 female over to the second flower chamber.

Using this method with a small veg chamber to get the seeds started, I could grow indefinitely and never run out of seeds while still growing sinsemilla. What do you think?

Thanks,
HT

R

Rolln J

once your weed is seeded buds and thc production pretty much stop...

why wouldnt you just take clones?

for this to work you would have to have that male somewhere else, collect pollen, put it in small paper bags and selectively hit a few smaller lower branches about 3 weeks before harvest.

really though you should just find a pheno you like and mom out a cut from that...

H

HypnoToad

You are absolutely right that clones are definitely the easier way to go. But, I have never grown from seed before (at least weed, that is). Additionally, I want to sample lots of different strains. Of course, in the future, I may run into that special plant, and if I do, I plan to keep a separate cloning/veg chamber for that purpose.

Lastly, I know that my explanation left some holes, but I plan on keeping 2 flowering chambers at the same time. I will dub them the mens room and the ladies room.

Also, I am now using 3 cabinets, not 2. So that's 2 flowering chambers in 2 different wardrobe cabs, and 1 smaller chamber for seedlings and clones/veg.

So basically, all new plants will start out in the ladies room, but once they are sexed, all males and selected females will go to the men's room to grow out into seed. The ladies room only grows sinsemilla. Does that make more sense now? Yes it's more work, but it'll make me a better grower in the long run. Aside from smoking weed, I just like to garden. Part of why i want to grow is just for the love of it, if that doesn't sound too emo.

Thanks,
HT

PS: this grow room is under construction, so I am not just writing all this down to hear myself speak. I hope to see how this works out by December, if seeds arrive in time.

R

Rolln J

sounds good - I understand the love for it...

not sure what kinda beans you sprang for - but its a good idea to take clones from them and then wait and see if you have a keeper, and if not then sprout more/different seeds.

I guess my point is if your paying for seeds it would suck to regret letting that special one get away, with three cabs you can easily use one for cloning/vegging and seedlings - something to think about!

H

HypnoToad

I am leaving the option open. The reason for 3 cabs is because I have to live in the same 10'x10' space I will grow in.

Cab 3 which I'm calling the "other" room will be dedicated to germination and cloning/vegging should I choose.

This is a whole other unrelated subject, but this grow is a large part of me "pimpin out" my room.

HT

purpleberry

purpleberry

IF i had to live and grow in a 10x10, My plants will get half the space. lol
Since you only need very little pollen, I would grow the males under a few cfls in a box, and collect the pollen. them break down the grow area for the males til u need more pollen.
Also you can keep adding plants in the flower area and run them 12/12 all the time, they wont flower till they are mature, unlike clones that would flower right away.

H

HypnoToad

Hmmm... I may do that, but I still would want to keep any seeded ladies segregated in cab room vs putting a bag over them. But following your advice would make 2 full chambers with nothing but ladies. I'm looking to fit 8 in 3 gallon pots per cab, BTW. I could probably fit up to 12, but they would be really packed in there, and that would probably defeat the purpose of the smart pots.

Incidentally, I've also considered just making one big grow pot to put all the plants in, but that wouldn't be very modular at all.

Peace,
HT

Top Bottom