My sour diesel transplant

• Thread starter Tlegacy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
They look good. One suggestion I might add. Plant them deeper into the pots, try to get them roots deep from the beginning, as you don't want a bunch of empty space in the dirt below, and if anything, the root's are going to migrate up at that point, rather than down. Not like it did when it was younger, as the plant matures, the roots move outward, and upward in a planter like that.

Personally, I would grow them out in 2's or 3 gallon bags, and then transfer, but as long as their totally root bound, you should be fine.

Last, but most important, I would not, under any circumstances, keep them in those drip containers with standing water in them, that's a recipe for disaster, and root rot. Avoid that at any cost. Especially if their outside, standing water is the enemy, and let them gals dry almost completely out, before watering them again.

Some of those bigger plants are going to soak up more water than the smaller ones, so keep that in mind, and act accordingly. I would keep good tabs on your ph results, and keeping them girls roots well oxygenated.

If you accidentally over dry them, keep a spay bottle on hand to spritz them. But getting them properly drained, and dried out, is paramount to encouraging healthy root growth. Get familiar with the weight of them, when they are dry, and when they are properly hydrated (ie. not soaked).

You might also try to elevate them on stands, as that will get much needed oxygen to the bottom, where your potential problems seem to be concentrated. Looks like airflow could be an issue, as you don't have a constant air source, besides the wind.

If there drying out too fast, then set them back on the ground...
One of these might help your situation also.

IMG 20200704 215310   Copy
IMG 20200704 215331   Copy
Last edited:
Tlegacy

Tlegacy

what do you use for nutes? Mine dry out 2 times a day. I have to water here in my location because it’s 100 degrees F and very dry high elevation desert sandy soil that gets freaking hot and dry quick here.
They look good. One suggestion I might add. Plant them deeper into the pots, try to get them roots deep from the beginning, as you don't want a bunch of empty space in the dirt below, and if anything, the root's are going to migrate up at that point, rather than down. Not like it did when it was younger, as the plant matures, the roots move outward, and upward in a planter like that.

Personally, I would grow them out in 2's or 3 gallon bags, and then transfer, but as long as their totally root bound, you should be fine.

Last, but most important, I would not, under any circumstances, keep them in those drip containers with standing water in them, that's a recipe for disaster, and root rot. Avoid that at any cost. Especially if their outside, standing water is the enemy, and let them gals dry almost completely out, before watering them again.

Some of those bigger plants are going to soak up more water than the smaller ones, so keep that in mind, and act accordingly. I would keep good tabs on your ph results, and keeping them girls roots well oxygenated.

If you accidentally over dry them, keep a spay bottle on hand to spritz them. But getting them properly drained, and dried out, is paramount to encouraging healthy root growth. Get familiar with the weight of them, when they are dry, and when they are properly hydrated (ie. not soaked).

You might also try to elevate them on stands, as that will get much needed oxygen to the bottom, where your potential problems seem to be concentrated. Looks like airflow could be an issue, as you don't have a constant air source, besides the wind.

If there drying out too fast, then set them back on the ground...
One of these might help your situation also.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
what do you use for nutes? Mine dry out 2 times a day. I have to water here in my location because it’s 100 degrees F and very dry high elevation desert sandy soil that gets freaking hot and dry quick here.

Yea, my suggestion would be to put them in the ground then, and water them at night with cool water if possible. But they need good drainage. Also, I would consider using something like this.... The first is a solar aerator stone pump, if you can get plenty of oxygen to the root zone (bury this below the roots, then place some gravel/stand over it, and then dirt, then the plant) and use the second device to slowly drip cool water into the root zone, from a cool water source.... But make sure it's getting plenty of OXYGEN.

you can get the pumps on ebay for $7 for the pumps, and about $12 for the aerator stone setup. (if I remember correctly)
IMG 20200704 232328   Copy
IMG 20200704 232411   Copy

Essentially it's turning a dirt grow into a hydro hybrid setup, sorta like a deep well culture, but with dirt. It will grow faster, and keep your temps under control. If you've got access to electric, you could even bring in a chiller, like this..
S l1600 4

And I find, it's good to think proactively, mitigating problems before they occur, so you want to set back and say "what if", it's going to get hotter, dryer what is my "plan of action".... Same with bugs, you should be thinking about those things in advance, and have measures on hand.... Because the worst is yet to come.

Chiller Refrigeration Unit for Hydroponic Fish Tank, but something like this is a bit more into the budget, but well worth it, I've got a 1/2 hp unit myself... Personally, If I was you, I would go for the gusto, (refrigeration unit) as it will pay off in the long run, and solve much of your problems. (If you've got electric).

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Either that, or get an air conditioner and hook it too a leaf blower, and force that cool air too the root zone. (this might be more ghetto, but you get my point). Those roots are the lifeblood of the plant, every focus should be on them, if you can master that, you've solved a huge obstacle to growing in a desert region, they are the main factor of what's happening on up top...

With the sun exposure your getting, you should really be able to hit it out of the park. Especially during flower, if it's dry... That's going to really help things. Address the root problem (temps/oxygen) and you'll have it mastered.

Tlegacy

Tlegacy

I’m not really into plastic either. This is my solution in regards to your root rot solution, thanks for the tip btw. I just watered with emulsified neem oil and diatomaceous earth just to help eliminate fungus or anything that maybe going yucky down in there. I have been using 3 high CFM on the bags since the beginning . Just went outside and found some old dry branches and put them under my bags to increase airflow to under the bag. Thanks for the tip hopefully it will get me 1 step closer to a premium crop with zero costs. I will only do this indoors as outdoors is way way too hot for this scenario. I flower my plants inside anyway.

EB0BD616 1EF5 4119 980C 443AF6E6CF48
69550E27 082B 4375 8B8D 0FDC0CEA787D
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I’m not really into plastic either. This is my solution in regards to your root rot solution, thanks for the tip btw. I just watered with emulsified neem oil and diatomaceous earth just to help eliminate fungus or anything that maybe going yucky down in there. I have been using 3 high CFM on the bags since the beginning . Just went outside and found some old dry branches and put them under my bags to increase airflow to under the bag. Thanks for the tip hopefully it will get me 1 step closer to a premium crop with zero costs. I will only do this indoors as outdoors is way way too hot for this scenario. I flower my plants inside anyway.

Yea, that's perfect. If there' getting too much heat during the day, you can insulate them on the sides, just try and do anything you can to keep those roots cool during the peak times. If your in a really dry area, that could be done with evaporation:

Heat and Evaporation
When a liquid evaporates, its molecules convert from the liquid phase to the vapor phase and escape from the surface. ... Since the molecule is taking heat with it as it's leaving, this has a cooling effect on the surface left behind. ----> Yes, there is real science behind this concept.

So, you could do the following: Insulate the outer parts of the root bases, with a "reflective tarp" or "white" color... Then drip water into the root base with one of the above setups like this:

You'll need to take the top off, and run it from the bucket, and need some sort of waterline probably 1/4 inch. If you've got multiple plants, I would get a bigger pump, and splitters to run it to everywhere, so you can keep your water in a 5 gallon bucket. (you could even cool the water if you wanted, with a refrig unit, but leaving it in the shade should suffice.

Even if your simply getting the roots wet, and just doing it manually, it could work if your on top of it..

Then, run some sort of forced "air" though the insulated bases, (in between the outer layer, and then out again.)
and it will produce a "cooling" effect... (Like a hillbilly swamp cooler ie. evaporative cooler). Your simply using your "roots" as the wick, as the "cooling" point.

You might consider having something like this as a back up system (personally, I would just do it, if it's going to get over 85f++) Because the return you'll get, will be substantial. You might even be able to double, or triple your yields this way, if it would otherwise get hot. In extreme cases, it could save the plants from dying.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Those plants look like the'll do really well, so it's really critical that you keep those roots cool as possible, with as much oxygen exposure as they can get.

If you can maintain that, you'll likely hit it out of the park. I'm actually kinda jealous, I'll be watching this thread.

I've seen plants like that in Cali get 20 foot tall.

Tlegacy

Tlegacy

I have a irrigation system that supplies water as a river bed under my bags twice a day. The canopies and the condensed organization of this garden supplies everything I need to keep the roots cool as the ground is cooled twice a day by the “man made river” I made with my tractor and irrigation well.

2A51F2CE 60E6 4154 ACDF 65E5DBB3093C
Tlegacy

Tlegacy

Survived consecutive days 100 deg F +. Survived 108 deg F peak today.

3CDD3534 A309 4384 A5BC ACBC869C866F
ED8F02D1 D166 489B ABB7 23D6EF430AE9

Latest posts

Top Bottom