My window a/c keeps freezing!

• Thread starter Maelstrom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Hey y'all. So, I've been studying air conditioner trouble shooting online and the only thing I can of is that the air flow has been restricted too much by my light trap - a lot of outside light pours in through the vents so a light trap was necessary to keep the room dark during the "night cycle," - but what I'm wondering is whether anyone has discovered an easy solution to keeping the a/c coils from gathering ice. I was thinking maybe spraying a little alcohol on the coils might help. Instinct tells me that's a bad idea, I'm just considering possibilities.

Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Brand name is, "Frigidaire." It works fine most of the time so I don't think it's refrigerant loss. I keep it turned up to 68, any cooler and it's guaranteed to freeze. I'll try taking the light trap off and see if less restricted air flow helps. Just thought of this... Maybe it's not draining the moisture outside. Okay. I'll start with air flow. Thanks.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

If you restrict the airflow there is not enough heat transfer from the air being cooled to the ac coils, and they freeze up.

You may need to come up with a different way to block light. If you remove the restriction and it works, thats it. If not, you will need an HVAC tech to measure pressures.

Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Maybe I could use a vent fan to pull air through the light trap. Forced air through the a/c. That would keep the coils dry. And keep my room dark. Hmmm. Gonna try that first.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
It is in the window with the coils outside?
What are your outside temps?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
If outdoor temps are under 40-45F
The coils will freeze up, there not designed to run at those temps and will freeze up

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If the air conditioner is sized correctly, freezing usually means it's low on freon (or whatever refrigerant gas they use now).

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Hey y'all. So, I've been studying air conditioner trouble shooting online and the only thing I can of is that the air flow has been restricted too much by my light trap - a lot of outside light pours in through the vents so a light trap was necessary to keep the room dark during the "night cycle," - but what I'm wondering is whether anyone has discovered an easy solution to keeping the a/c coils from gathering ice. I was thinking maybe spraying a little alcohol on the coils might help. Instinct tells me that's a bad idea, I'm just considering possibilities.
Provided it is in good working order here are some reasons it can freeze.
Not draining,poor air flow(condensation is sitting on coils),fan set too low letting water sit,air con is too big for area(short on off cycles)

CannaPrecision

CannaPrecision

Lack of Air flow is typically the cause for this to happen, I would start there...

Blastfact

Blastfact

I'm not understanding the light trap at all. If it's a window unit there should be no light in the registers or evap coil where it's freezing up at all. Same with a stand alone unit. And so on with central unit.

Top Bottom