mylar burning my plants?

• Thread starter CheebaMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CheebaMonkey

temps high 70s but I'm wondering if the newly installed mylar in my grow box is causing hot spots. The soil feels quite warm. But I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

photo-12.jpg
photo-111.jpg
photo-10.jpg

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

What kind of light are you using and how close to the seedlings is it? I have had seedings in a room lined with mylar and had no problems at all. Also are you feeding them yet? If so, what?

C

CheebaMonkey

the two on the left had a feeding 2 days ago and are looking better so maybe it was just a deficiency. I'm using an air cooled 250W hps so not a lot of heat from that. It's about 2 feet away from plants.

I'm using foxfarm grow big veg nutes. The soil is called "Just Right" potting soil. Normally I use Foxfarm Light Warrior for seedlings but my local hydro store stopped carrying it.

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

i would check the soil Ph. I've never had to feed a seedling so early, it leads me to believe it has something to do with the soil being too "hot". Ph not temperature.

Venom818

Venom818

im almost sure its the soil or the nutes how much are u feeding these babies and how often whats the ph of the nutrient solution and the ph of the soil are u using tap water or RO

dextr0

dextr0

just right xtra:

Our ph in this mix is 7.01 which are perfect to keep the bacteria and fungi from destroying or decomposing. There is no need for adjustment of your pH of any nutrient you add to this mix.

We suggest no nutrients for a couple weeks. When you wet this mix with de chlorinated water the runoff will be around 1300ppm which is hot and will aid in Germination of any seeds or cuttings.

B

BongToker

ya agreed venom and headgrow im definitely thinking its the soil being to hot, i start all my babies under a 250 with mylar on the walls and unless the ventilation isnt good there shouldnt be a problem.. i usually keep my light about 3 feet above them to make sure the dont stress but i dont think thats is the problem here

A

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

We suggest no nutrients for a couple weeks. When you wet this mix with de chlorinated water the runoff will be around 1300ppm which is hot and will aid in Germination of any seeds or cuttings.

:fighting0085:are you suggesting germ'ing seeds in soil that has a 1300ppm runoff if so..... thats horrible its way way way to hot for germing seeds or even young seedlings.... ideally young seeds should be placed in something that is 300ppm or less depending on age... the only thing 1300ppm is gonna do is excatly whats being shown by the OP... fucked up seedlings... az

dextr0

dextr0

:fighting0085:are you suggesting germ'ing seeds in soil that has a 1300ppm runoff if so..... thats horrible its way way way to hot for germing seeds or even young seedlings.... ideally young seeds should be placed in something that is 300ppm or less depending on age... the only thing 1300ppm is gonna do is excatly whats being shown by the OP... fucked up seedlings... az

Na, simply quoting what you read on pretty much every website that sells this product and is probably on the bag. I know for a fact arnt to many people familiar with this brand so i thought i should share. Important shit to know when trying to diagnose whats goin on....for what its worth I do believe the LUCAS FORMULA comes out to about the same ppm and alot of people start seedlings clones etc in it.

A

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

actually theres 2 formulas for lucas not mentioning anyone else's style like rezfrogs who uses a modified lucas formula.... the veg is susopsed to be 5ml micro an 8ml bloom per gal which is about 800ppm... an most when feeding a plant ina compleatly neutral media will cut it down to about 1/3 strength to feed seedlings.... the flower one is 10ml bloom with 16ml micro which comes out to about 1250 ppm which is good for flowering plants but some have found it a bit too strong an use rez pez's which is only about 1100ppm... az

dextr0

dextr0

i meant the LUCAS FORMULA.

"Hello cb

good to chat with you

majdub is fool of god, as in Sufism, the Mullah Nasrudin http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Nasrudin#The_Burning_Hat is a Majdub. (the link has fables, I dont recommend reading the interpretations) Majoum is cannabis edibles, which Majdubs consume to bring them closer to god.

The current Lucasized Formula with GH Flora is still 0-8-16 as you said. Other nutes, such as PBP can also be made to approximate similar NPKMg values, for example PBPBloom @ 15ml/gal plus 5ml/gal Cal Mag.., or 8ml/gal Flora Nova Bloom

Both with target TDS @.7 of about 1300ppm (use less FNB, like 6ml/gal if your TDS exceeds 1400 with 8ml)

The original reservoir strategy I learned from pH was to dump and replace as you described, once an equal volume of addback water has reached. IOW, when a 20 gallon res, got 20 gallons of top up water, the res was dumped and refilled at fresh 0-8-16. This was not with pH adjusted water, because it works best to allow the res pH to fluctuate within a range of 5.3 to 6.3

An alternate reservoir management strategy I now prefer, is to add nutes to the reservoir in the addback water. The goal is to bring the reservoir back up to 1300ppm. In this strategy, I feel a single res change at harvest is sufficient.

Despite the obvious concern that this non dumping approach allows toxins to build up, I never experienced toxin buildup. this surprised me and caused me to alter my thinking about plant metabolism. It seems they do not excrete toxins the way organisms with digestive tracts do.

How much nutes goes in the addback water varies by res to light ratio. For example, a 50 gallon res under a single 1k can be topped with 33% of 0-8-16, and the 1300 tds will be approximately achieved... Im not a stickler for that number, and am happy fluctuating anywhere between 1100 and 1500ppm over the course of a week, such that if one chooses to top only with water for a few days, the nuteing can be done in a single session each week.

If the same 50 gallon res is used under twice as much light, it will probably require twice as much nutes in the addback water.

The most primary concern is to achieve the TDS increase, while staying within pH range

adding nutes lowers pH, so sometimes one can avoid pH adjusting, by adding more or less nutes
adding water raises pH, so dont adjust a reservoir, until it is topped up with water and nutes

> What size trays would you suggest?

I think in terms of 4x4 footprint per 1k, although with high plant numbers, it can work with 3x3 footprint

so for a 2k project, either a 4x8 or 3x6 table

plant numbers vary by veg time. with 3 weeks of veg (counting starts the day rooted clones are transplanted), 10-12 plants per 1k is enough. With 1 week of veg 30-40 plants per 1k is enough.

disclaimer, plant numbers increase legal penalties. I do not encourage you to break the law, you should only use my advice if you are a qualified patient and are able to cultivate legally. However, even then, Federal Law still makes cultivation in the US illegal. Dont break the law on my advice.

The suggested amount of medium per 1k is 30-50 gal, so 10 three gallon pots is the same total as 30 one gallon pots

> What media would you recommend- corn, coir/perlite, rockwool, etc…?

As a hydroponics medium, I prefer clay balls
other denser mediums work if they are not overwatered

> As a corollary: if rockwool is an option, what size cubes will produce the most productive results?

Other than cloning in a dome, I have no positive experience with rockwool in larger blocks. It usually succcumbs to algae, which is a breeding zone for many problems. I do not recommend blooming in rockwool. But Im sure there are others with more experience than I have working with it, that can contribute their safe operations parameters.

---

Hello IS

thanks for your kind words, and for giving me a forum for my opinions

> I was wondering what your current thoughts and opinions are in regards to changing out your reservoir? Should I bother changing it out? Or not...? Is the 5 ml, and 8 ml of Flora Nova Bloom still the standard when it comes to veg and flower?

I dont think it is necessary to change out the reservoir until harvest. But it should be kept full, so the nutes dont get too concentrated. I dont have a weaker formula for veg.. The only time I use weaker nutes is under fluorescent lights.

I did at one time create a complex mathematical formula to predict how much nutes you need to addback for a given res TDS. But rather than recreate it, I invite someone to post it.

The main concept is to bring the TDS back to 1300-1400.

Here is a practical example.

Imagine a 1k light with a 50 gallon res, starting at 1300ppm. The nute is FloraNovaBloom in RO water @ 8ml per gallon, plus about 1-2ml of pH UP per gallon.. depending on the type of pH UP you use... I think Earth Juice Natural pH UP works fine, so does GH brand pH UP

Each day for 6 days the res is topped up with plain RO water. After adding the water, a TDS reading is taken. If its more than 1100, dont bother adding nutes unless you like the task. (how fast the TDS drops depends on how big the plants are, just focus on the TDS number, not the number of days in this example)
On day 7 a TDS reading shows 1000 ppm, so a guesstimate is made that 2ml/ the 50 gallons res size (thats a little less than 33%) , might bring the TDS back to 1300.
So the gardener puts 100ml of Flora Nova Bloom into the res, waits a few minutes for stirring, and does a TDS reading.

If it comes out to more than 1300, then the operator uses less than 100mls the next time TDS drops to 1000

soon a pattern will emerge, and nutes dosing becomes predictable, both for pH and TDS

hth
Lucas"

A

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

well since im not gonna argue with a c&p'er... ive done actuall work with the lucas formula the 5-8 is the accepted young plant early veg formula with the 8-16 being the flowering form... an rez found this as did otherr growing varities that nute sesnitive this was too hot for a general rule of thumb... some strains you can push further but not all... an since this was about the fact you just c&p'ing off a soil bag you havent tried germing at 1300 an telling others that its ok is fucked up... please people germ seeds in a very light nute mix if your not neutral... az

dextr0

dextr0

I wasnt advocating the use of anything in anyway just explainin whats goin on with that specific bag of mix. Ive used the lucas fomula for two years. Have you used it?

"ive done actuall work with the lucas formula the 5-8 is the accepted young plant early veg formula"

and thats a strait lie. Lucas himself never advocated
anything but the 0-8-16 for the most part. Anything else was just complicating the recipe.

A

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

Lucas himself never advocated
anything but the 0-8-16 for the most part. .

for the most part he said it was too strong for young plants:character0110: which is why it was suggested to run the 5-8 for young plants.... an obiviously i do run it since the ppms i got from my reading were almost spot on with the 10-16 that lucas reported threw his readings... like i said its easy to argue with a c&p'er:rasta2:.... :mooning:mooning..an like ive stated not all strains like the 10/16 which is why some have kicked it down to 9/15 for nute sensitive varities....whats that o yea more in the know grow info...az

an heres a bowl of meds to help your cramps an bleeding vagina

DSCN0918
N

Northwest Skunk

I don't know anything about the Lucas stuff but if you want to save those little things you have to flush the shit out of the soil mix until you see a run off of 400ppm or less. You can't raise those fragile little things in 1300 ppm like Azgrow is telling you.
You may have to put a hose on the soil and let it run steady for awhile to get all the nutes out of it that you need to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom