Mystery plant, multi colored leaves

• Thread starter AndyBoi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AndyBoi

AndyBoi

Hello all!

I recently got this plant from a friend. For some reason i didnt ask anything about the plant. I know its not auto flower, based on its size.

What I do know.

Gave her some light nutrient water of flora gro, micro, bloom and calimagic. Based on the leaves i assumed the PH was off, so added the nutrient water at PH level of 7.2 . The run off measured 5.6 PH. This forced me to make a new batch of nutrient water with PH of 7.9. The run off was then 5.9 PH.

This plant also has spider mites. I have used "safers insecticidal soap" once so far.

im putting it outdoors during the day and bringing it indoors during the night.

I dont know soil composition, but seems to have good drainage and perlite ratio.

How oftern should i spary with insecticidal soap?

Should i use neem oil as well?

What is causing the leaves to be so light and dark colored?

All input is appreciated

Much thanks

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Just be careful if you use neem oil to make sure you do it just before your lights go out - you do not want to spray neem during daylight or with the lights on after you spray, the neem will react with the light and burn your plants. I recommend using that same brand Garden Safe "Neem Oil Extract" - mix it about half or 3/4 strength as it states on the bottle under "Mites" (It says 2 to 4 tbsp but I usually do 3 for heavy infestations and 2 for light infestations and/or management). Spray once every 3 to 5 days, repeat at least 3 times or until mites are no longer hatching.

Use a decent sprayer and make sure you spray UNDER the leaves very well as that's where mites like to live and lay eggs. You can use your other hand to run your fingers gently up and down each branch as you spray, rub and massage the leaves gently to knock off as many bugs as you can.

Just make sure you're letting your plants get a good 2 to 4 hours to dry out before lights come back on and/or sun comes up - as I said if it's still wet it will burn your plants.

Also don't use neem on flowering plants unless you want to ruin your buds. I recommend Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract because it does not have the active ingredient azidachtrin that most Neem oil's have, and arguably can end up in your flower even if used in veg. And it still works very well at getting rid of spider mites. I use it frequently on a lot of my crops for prevention as Colorado has spider mites like crazy.

Also - pics would help. Good luck! 🤠

AndyBoi

AndyBoi

Just be careful if you use neem oil to make sure you do it just before your lights go out - you do not want to spray neem during daylight or with the lights on after you spray, the neem will react with the light and burn your plants. I recommend using that same brand Garden Safe "Neem Oil Extract" - mix it about half or 3/4 strength as it states on the bottle under "Mites" (It says 2 to 4 tbsp but I usually do 3 for heavy infestations and 2 for light infestations and/or management). Spray once every 3 to 5 days, repeat at least 3 times or until mites are no longer hatching.

Use a decent sprayer and make sure you spray UNDER the leaves very well as that's where mites like to live and lay eggs. You can use your other hand to run your fingers gently up and down each branch as you spray, rub and massage the leaves gently to knock off as many bugs as you can.

Just make sure you're letting your plants get a good 2 to 4 hours to dry out before lights come back on and/or sun comes up - as I said if it's still wet it will burn your plants.

Also don't use neem on flowering plants unless you want to ruin your buds. I recommend Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract because it does not have the active ingredient azidachtrin that most Neem oil's have, and arguably can end up in your flower even if used in veg. And it still works very well at getting rid of spider mites. I use it frequently on a lot of my crops for prevention as Colorado has spider mites like crazy.

Also - pics would help. Good luck! 🤠

Thanks a lot for that info. Ill make sure to keep that in mind.

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
Looks pretty good so far if you apply the neem like I said it should be good. Also spider mites aren't as big of a problem if and when you finally put the plant outdoors to stay - they tend to be a little easier to control outdoors than indoors.

They are starting to look a little hungry, too. You're not sure what kind of soil it is? I wonder if your friend was using something like pro-mix or tupur, coco based? The low runoff pH sounds like whoever you got the plant from was watering/feeding for coco..

AndyBoi

AndyBoi

Yeah.
Looks pretty good so far if you apply the neem like I said it should be good. Also spider mites aren't as big of a problem if and when you finally put the plant outdoors to stay - they tend to be a little easier to control outdoors than indoors.

They are starting to look a little hungry, too. You're not sure what kind of soil it is? I wonder if your friend was using something like pro-mix or tupur, coco based? The low runoff pH sounds like whoever you got the plant from was watering/feeding for coco..
Thanks, i think i will up the nutrients on the next feed. I will continue to post updates on this plant.

My concern for keeping it outdoors is bud rot. As i live near Vancouver BC and its most likely going to rain before flowering is finished.

But it might be a little too tall to put into my 5' grow tent. Might just hang a light from the ceiling and hope for the best

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
Yeah.

Thanks, i think i will up the nutrients on the next feed. I will continue to post updates on this plant.

My concern for keeping it outdoors is bud rot. As i live near Vancouver BC and its most likely going to rain before flowering is finished.

But it might be a little too tall to put into my 5' grow tent. Might just hang a light from the ceiling and hope for the best

You could always leave it outside and leave it in the pot so you can move it inside during rainstorms. I say there's no replacement for the sun. Also keep in mind what I mentioned about the pH, maybe try to find out from your friend what kind of soil he used? Like I said with the runoff being that low it almost sounds like he was previously feeding for coco which is usually between 5.8-6.3 pH whereas regular soil is going to be closer to 6.5-6.8.

If you do find out what kind of soil was used then you can even think about transplanting to a slightly larger pot if you want, which wouldn't hurt.

AndyBoi

AndyBoi

You could always leave it outside and leave it in the pot so you can move it inside during rainstorms. I say there's no replacement for the sun. Also keep in mind what I mentioned about the pH, maybe try to find out from your friend what kind of soil he used? Like I said with the runoff being that low it almost sounds like he was previously feeding for coco which is usually between 5.8-6.3 pH whereas regular soil is going to be closer to 6.5-6.8.

If you do find out what kind of soil was used then you can even think about transplanting to a slightly larger pot if you want, which wouldn't hurt.
Crazy. I didnt know there was a difference in ideal PH levels depending on the soil. Ill try to get some information. Kinda seemed like my friend got it from a friend too, haha.

Thank you

AndyBoi

AndyBoi

Any idea what is causing this?

This is the same plant i initially posted about.

I was told it has spider mites, and i seen some little black dots on the under side of some leaves. i have just given it the second spray of insecticidal soap last night.

Does this look like spider mite damage?

20220618 102628
20220618 102611
20220618 102550
20220618 102535
20220618 102518
20220618 102501
Top Bottom