Myths About Light During Dark Time In Flower

• Thread starter jinxjj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jinxjj

So i was talking with a friend who told me the whole "you must have a 110% light proof chamber and not disturb plants during dark cycle of flowering" is pretty much a myth. His basic reason was moon light, which made total sense. In a natural environment plants are going to be exposed to SOME light during the 12hr dark period, outside it is never truly 100% dark at night.

He said he has also taken plants out of flower and put them back into veg without any issues.

So i ask you all, what is the deal with having a light proof chamber for the dark time in flowering? Mine is like 99% but there are some tiny seems between the zipper doors that let in minimal light (which i will probably cover up with some plastic sheet). I haven't really been able to find any hard evidence why people keep suggesting this, only thing i see mentioned here and there is that stressing plants can cause them to hermie, which obviously none of us want.

J

jinxjj

So do you think people get a little carried away when they say it MUST be light proof? I can understand not wanting your veg lights to bleed into the bloom room because they are strong as hell...

What exactly are the negative consequences of light getting in during the dark period?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I don;t really think they get carried away no, Ive seen what happens to even small light leaks which = seeds in a plant

the negatives would be stress, seeds, hermies ruining your genetic lines ect ect.

I guess :D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So i was talking with a friend who told me the whole "you must have a 110% light proof chamber and not disturb plants during dark cycle of flowering" is pretty much a myth. His basic reason was moon light, which made total sense. In a natural environment plants are going to be exposed to SOME light during the 12hr dark period, outside it is never truly 100% dark at night.

He said he has also taken plants out of flower and put them back into veg without any issues.

So i ask you all, what is the deal with having a light proof chamber for the dark time in flowering? Mine is like 99% but there are some tiny seems between the zipper doors that let in minimal light (which i will probably cover up with some plastic sheet). I haven't really been able to find any hard evidence why people keep suggesting this, only thing i see mentioned here and there is that stressing plants can cause them to hermie, which obviously none of us want.
It has to do with those genetics that are prone to hermaphroditism and the fact that cannabis *is* photoperiodic.
So do you think people get a little carried away when they say it MUST be light proof? I can understand not wanting your veg lights to bleed into the bloom room because they are strong as hell...

What exactly are the negative consequences of light getting in during the dark period?
Hermaphroditism, and going back into vegetative growth phase when you're trying to flower them out. I keep forgetting to write up that new thread on the phases to watch out for.

Go look at the thread called phytochrome manipulation. Be prepared to have your mind blown, though, it's very heady stuff.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/phytochrome-manipulation.29747/

Pay close attention to what Desertboy has to say. ;)

sixstring

sixstring

I have run outdoors in the back of my lot where neighbor has porch light about 15to20 feet away, clicking on and off at odd times, crazy bitch.that plant did fine, they get used to these other lights, especially the moon.its a bit different indoors but my theory is a small leak that was there from day one wont harm stable genetics. My veg room door has about a 1 in gap under it and the hallway light goes on and off sometimes plus I close that door at very random times.i guess its my way of finding herms and deleting them.

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
fwiw... i run one of my gardens at night during the summer... pretty much all day ( night time for the girls)light gets in thru my air intakes... havent had an issue yet.. i truely believe its genetics mostly..

do i think you will have a problem if your light turn on for an hour during dark period? yes, but i dont think the room needs to be totally dark

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

IF damn near the entire growing world say it causes hermies then that's is hard enough proof for most..,,
Something tells me your thinking of an experiment or trying to find a casual factor for a shortcoming your observing.....

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Light leaks in a manipulated indoor grow will most definitely cause hermies in my opinion. I've noticed it when I didn't cover the lights on extension cords too, but only plants that are in the vicinity of said extension cord. I've always covered up any green lights (like co2 displays) just to be safe.

Scrappy-doo

Scrappy-doo

Premium Member
Supporter
I always thought it has to do with intensity too. The moonlight is reflected light not direct like the sun.

I've had plants herm from pinhole leaks when there was a veg light close to the leak so whatever light got through I assume was intense enough to cause it, but the same pinhole leaks don't cause that if the light in another part of the room and reflected off the walls then through the leaks.

My current flower chamber is not light proof I just make sure there's no direct light coming through the seams. No herms for a while now.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I've seen a commercial medical grow with nothing but a door in between veg and bloom - They were constantly opening the door and going between rooms with veg lights on and bloom in dark period and they said they never had any problems.

J

jinxjj

Could it be that regularly exposing them to light at odd times just gets them used to it or is it just that strand was highly resistant to light stress?

Top Bottom