Myths About Light During Dark Time In Flower

• Thread starter jinxjj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
It has to do with those genetics that are prone to hermaphroditism and the fact that cannabis *is* photoperiodic.
That sums it up quite nicely imo. Sexual expression of cannabis is a phenotype ( http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10681-004-4758-7 ) and as with most phenotypes, their expression is influenced by the environment.

Could it be that regularly exposing them to light at odd times just gets them used to it or is it just that strand was highly resistant to light stress?
No (unless it was done for many many seed generations). And yes for the second part, cannabis plants that don't herm (show intersex traits) aren't necessarily not prone to herm but may just have high stress resistance.

Even though they said they never have problems, they may simply not notice them (it delays flowering above all and even if no intersex traits show it doesn't mean the plant is running as optimally as it could with a proper photoperiod).

I think it's in "Life, the science of biology" (fun book if you like me didn't pay attention back in school... "because I got high"...) they show a test in which just part of the plant was covered in darkness and it still builds up enough flower hormones for the plant to switch to flowering. Point is, in a setup with 20 small plants with a light leak shining on a single plant in the corner it may more likely cause intersex traits or reveg than for example 4 plants on the same space with only 1 bud site/cola being affected by the light leak. This in turn may contribute to the different experiences people have with light leaks as well.

I have a cross (Late Night) that I suspect might have a selfed grandparent and while I've only grown out two so far, I've moved them in and out my closet, from dark time into daylight and back, as in really messing up the photoperiod over and over, and I just cannot get it to hermie. As they say, ymmv.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Try d
That sums it up quite nicely imo. Sexual expression of cannabis is a phenotype ( http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10681-004-4758-7 ) and as with most phenotypes, their expression is influenced by the environment.

No (unless it was done for many many seed generations). And yes for the second part, cannabis plants that don't herm (show intersex traits) aren't necessarily not prone to herm but may just have high stress resistance.

Even though they said they never have problems, they may simply not notice them (it delays flowering above all and even if no intersex traits show it doesn't mean the plant is running as optimally as it could with a proper photoperiod).

I think it's in "Life, the science of biology" (fun book if you like me didn't pay attention back in school... "because I got high"...) they show a test in which just part of the plant was covered in darkness and it still builds up enough flower hormones for the plant to switch to flowering. Point is, in a setup with 20 small plants with a light leak shining on a single plant in the corner it may more likely cause intersex traits or reveg than for example 4 plants on the same space with only 1 bud site/cola being affected by the light leak. This in turn may contribute to the different experiences people have with light leaks as well.

I have a cross (Late Night) that I suspect might have a selfed grandparent and while I've only grown out two so far, I've moved them in and out my closet, from dark time into daylight and back, as in really messing up the photoperiod over and over, and I just cannot get it to hermie. As they say, ymmv.
Try droubt stress....

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I've grown it in too small hempy bottles making it one of the few I have to manually water, which I haven't done nearly as often as I should. The messed up light schedule was just part of the abuse, I've also tried nute shock, and major ph and temp fluctuations. It has only a few great traits I'm a little hesitant trying to cross that into a better yielding strain because of its uncertain origins and the amount of work it will require to beef it up. If it continues to be so stress resistance it might give me an excuse to use it anyway so I'm going to continue testing it for a while. I will give drought stress specifically a try next time I run one.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I've grown it in too small hempy bottles making it one of the few I have to manually water, which I haven't done nearly as often as I should. The messed up light schedule was just part of the abuse, I've also tried nute shock, and major ph and temp fluctuations. It has only a few great traits I'm a little hesitant trying to cross that into a better yielding strain because of its uncertain origins and the amount of work it will require to beef it up. If it continues to be so stress resistance it might give me an excuse to use it anyway so I'm going to continue testing it for a while. I will give drought stress specifically a try next time I run one.
You can try to put it much further from light and or much closer....or throw a cup or sleeve over a branch...just thinking out loud last resort grow it into the deepest ripeness you can

Mr.growz

Mr.growz

Evolution ? The moon only reflects 8-12% of the suns rays plants evolved to handle that much light without stress?
And the 12 % if you looked it up also does not give off the spectrum that stimulates the hormone for flower production...but that's just another thing you've learned and by the way... dont use any blog sites for knowledge only for hearing experiences with scenarios and situations. Google and all the other engines will give you scientific data that's what you should be looking for. Also, the spectrum the moon gives off is green which stimulates growth but does not signal the hormone for flower production. Lastly, 99% seems good to me. I've had 95% with no issues and tested it when I went pitch black by comparing grow journals. So from my experience you dont have to be 100% and keep all spectrums of light except green led during dark cycles, and no that it does not interfere with the hormone but does effect photo synthesis ect. Which wont kill you but will shock your girls with little to no side effects showing. Also you'll be thinking your doing good considering the green spectrum is the spectrum that give the your girls their girth, shield on the leafs ect.
I've seen a commercial medical grow with nothing but a door in between veg and bloom - They were constantly opening the door and going between rooms with veg lights on and bloom in dark period and they said they never had any problems.

Mr.growz

Mr.growz

And the 12 % if you looked it up also does not give off the spectrum that stimulates the hormone for flower production...but that's just another thing you've learned and by the way... dont use any blog sites for knowledge only for hearing experiences with scenarios and situations. Google and all the other engines will give you scientific data that's what you should be looking for. Also, the spectrum the moon gives off is green which stimulates growth but does not signal the hormone for flower production. Lastly, 99% seems good to me. I've had 95% with no issues and tested it when I went pitch black by comparing grow journals. So from my experience you dont have to be 100% and keep all spectrums of light except green led during dark cycles, and no that it does not interfere with the hormone but does effect photo synthesis ect. Which wont kill you but will shock your girls with little to no side effects showing. Also you'll be thinking your doing good considering the green spectrum is the spectrum that give the your girls their girth, shield on the leafs ect.
Oh and here's a good piece of knowledge... if any light hits your plants that is within the spectrum of 420-600nm it will disrupt the hormone that stimulates flowering most plants including my favorite..period..its evolution

Mr.growz

Mr.growz

Oh and here's a good piece of knowledge... if any light hits your plants that is within the spectrum of 420-600nm it will disrupt the hormone that stimulates flowering most plants including my favorite..period..its evolution
Take that back 490 -600 though it may not disrupt the hormone it does disrupt photosynthesis

BigCube

BigCube

You cant have a 110% light proof anything. Math doesn't work like that 🤣

But seriously. It is very strain dependent. Most outdoor strains are able to take little light leaks here and there without much issue. But most indoor strains have been bread through generations of plants in light proof areas. These are the ones that tend to be more picky.

I have heard stories of a neighbor's 60w porch light 200 feet away keeping a plant in veg, I've also heard of stories where street lights have done the same thing.

Bottom line is, why risk it? It doesn't take much to light proof an area. And you risk months of work because of what? Laziness?

In the end, no amount of 2 friends sitting around talking about it or post in a forum could ever prove anything. Double blinded peer reviewed testing is the only way to know. The rest is just mental masturbation. 🤣🤭

Mr.growz

Mr.growz

It's called evolution... plants have been around longer than us...back when co2 ppm were around the 8000 level did you think a floating rock was gonna thwart 2/3 of the earth's living population...nope...

Keegz

Keegz

I don;t really think they get carried away no, Ive seen what happens to even small light leaks which = seeds in a plant

the negatives would be stress, seeds, hermies ruining your genetic lines ect ect.

I guess :D
I don;t really think they get carried away no, Ive seen what happens to even small light leaks which = seeds in a plant

the negatives would be stress, seeds, hermies ruining your genetic lines ect ect.

I guess :D
So altho I agree I'm dying to know, can the reflection of light affect your plants.if so I'm guessing how strong the reflection is makes a difference.

CF89

CF89

I was always told you can put a green lightbulb in the grow room and that doesn’t phase them during their dark hours. True?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I was always told you can put a green lightbulb in the grow room and that doesn’t phase them during their dark hours. True?

I use a green 15w twisty cfl to work in the dark cycle. And my titan controller has a dim green led display. Neither has given me any problem in years in that room.

However i know a grower who had a higher wattage hreen led right over his plants and the plants right below it did not flower properly.

So intensity is a factor.

BigCube

BigCube

Yes and no.

The color doesnt matter, it's the intensity of light that matters.

Different light colors have different thresholds for PAR. Once your PAR is high enough, it effects the plants dark time. Regardless of color.

CF89

CF89

Wow. Very cool. That’s interesting. Been thinking wrong for 20 years now. 🤯

thanks guys.

kyle57843

kyle57843

I know this is probably long time ago but i have muliple light leaks and uae only a curtain on a doorframe for a light shield and have had no herms or seeds perfect healthy plants

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

I know this is probably long time ago but i have muliple light leaks and uae only a curtain on a doorframe for a light shield and have had no herms or seeds perfect healthy plants
I don't even verify if it leaks light anymore I just zip it up and grow. No issues this far

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Lmao you guys are nuts and a perfect example of why you shouldn’t listen to people talking on the internet sometimes.

Do your own experiments and let us know how it goes 😂. When your leaves start clawing you’re already fucked just FYI.

I’d like to see all these healthy buds and plants with no issues up close that have been exposed to even a day or two of light leaks in the mid to late flower cycle because I’ve been doing this a long time now and never once have I seen a pretty outcome from light in the dark cycle and I’ve had quite a few rodeos with it from light coming in all kinds of weird places you wouldn’t guess until you sit in there for a min when it’s dark.

I’m calling bullshit on anybody who says light doesn’t completely fuck the plants up in a dark cycle anywhere past like week 2.

Latest posts

Top Bottom