N00b Question, What Is Phenom

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I hear this expression all the time like "Hunting phenoms" or "I've got a phenom, I'm cloning it" ...

what exactly is a phenom? Is it just a plant that is perfect in all ways? Did the plant start sprouting Christmas lights instead of buds? Does the plant talk to you when you ask it a question?

just wondering what people mean when they say "Phenom"

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
To my understanding plants are like humans we have traits of the mother and father. A pheno means the same a true combination of the two with the traits a grower was looking for by combining two different strains. Maybe one was a high yeider and the other a kick in balls kinda high. Pheno hunt is trying to find the perfect example of what the grower was looking for the perfect kid so to speak. All star quarterback with moms good looks kids thing. If I'm wrong please someone correct me.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Phenotype is the type of growth and characteristics the plant shows. A plant that produces seeds can produce several phenotypes of plants from the seeds, each seed may show different characteristics.
For example, someone could pop 10 seeds from the same plant, one plant may be really short and bushy and purple, 4 tall green plants, 3 short bushy green plants and 2 tall purple plants. Those plants would all be different phenos but they may also be 10 completely different phenos because pheno also goes into taste and aroma. One tall purple plant could smell like coffee and chocolate and one could smell like skunk and citrus.
Phenos are basically the type of plant, when you pheno hunt you are looking for specific growth, taste, buzz etc etc

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I hear this expression all the time like "Hunting phenoms" or "I've got a phenom, I'm cloning it" ...

what exactly is a phenom? Is it just a plant that is perfect in all ways? Did the plant start sprouting Christmas lights instead of buds? Does the plant talk to you when you ask it a question?

just wondering what people mean when they say "Phenom"

I think you are asjubg about phenotype.

Plants get genetic material from both parents.

A pheno hunt is growing a lot of plants and choosing the best male and female sbd crossing them to get tge best genetic material you can. If a certain strain tends to go hermaphrodite you would selectively breed to get rid of that trait.

Most seed producers feminize seeds.

I hate feminized seeds with a passion.

You have to buy seeds every grow. But what happens if something bad happens like a faiked crop or a massive fire. Important strains could be lost.

Next year i will be buying feminized seeds for medicinal strains.

I will be crossing the female plants with a strong Hawaiian Dream. Male. Giving a 50/50 genitcs. Will back cross that with anitger pure female. To the 50/50
Giving me 75% pure 25% Hawaiian Dream. I will keep that up till my genetics arr 90-95% pure and the rest Hawai dream.

Thats how they produce auto flowers of Haze, White Widow, etc.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
You can clone feminized seed plants, you dont have to buy new seeds every time. I have a fem cbd lemonaid plant that Ive been cloning and growing for years

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

yeah, I've been cloning a feminized Aurora Indica and feminized Canuck blueberry

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I think you are asjubg about phenotype.

Plants get genetic material from both parents.

A pheno hunt is growing a lot of plants and choosing the best male and female sbd crossing them to get tge best genetic material you can. If a certain strain tends to go hermaphrodite you would selectively breed to get rid of that trait.

Most seed producers feminize seeds.

I hate feminized seeds with a passion.

You have to buy seeds every grow. But what happens if something bad happens like a faiked crop or a massive fire. Important strains could be lost.

Next year i will be buying feminized seeds for medicinal strains.

I will be crossing the female plants with a strong Hawaiian Dream. Male. Giving a 50/50 genitcs. Will back cross that with anitger pure female. To the 50/50
Giving me 75% pure 25% Hawaiian Dream. I will keep that up till my genetics arr 90-95% pure and the rest Hawai dream.

Thats how they produce auto flowers of Haze, White Widow, etc.
Autoflowers are produced by introducing cannabis ruderalis genes to a photoperiod plant, autoflowering strains have very little thc until they are crossed with photos.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

You can clone feminized seed plants, you dont have to buy new seeds every time. I have a fem cbd lemonaid plant that Ive been cloning and growing for years

That may be true for you. But i live at 6,500-7,000 feet elevation and dont see me able to keep a clone alive over the winter luving in an RV.

Some one here said auto flowers couldn't be cloned but was bound and determined to try anyway.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Autoflowers are produced by introducing cannabis ruderalis genes to a photoperiod plant, autoflowering strains have very little thc until they are crossed with photos.

Yes i was aware there are no auto flowering strains witgout Ruderalis genetics but they back cross it until it has about 90% original genetics and 10% Ruderalis.

Top Bottom