National Geographic On Marijuana

• Thread starter indicabush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
indicabush

indicabush

Science Seeks to Unlock Marijuana’s Secrets
As the once-vilified drug becomes more accepted, researchers around the world are trying to understand how it works and how it might fight disease.

There’s nothing new about cannabis, of course. It’s been around humankind pretty much forever.

In Siberia charred seeds have been found inside burial mounds dating back to 3000 B.C. The Chinese were using cannabis as a medicine thousands of years ago. Marijuana is deeply American too—as American as George Washington, who grew hemp at Mount Vernon. For most of the country’s history, cannabis was legal, commonly found in tinctures and extracts.

Then came Reefer Madness. Marijuana, the Assassin of Youth. The Killer Weed. The Gateway Drug. For nearly 70 years the plant went into hiding, and medical research largely stopped. In 1970 the federal government made it even harder to study marijuana, classifying it as a Schedule I drug—a dangerous substance with no valid medical purpose and a high potential for abuse, in the same category as heroin. In America most people expanding knowledge about cannabis were by definition criminals.

Link: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/06/marijuana/sides-text

indicabush

indicabush

Article published in June 2015 prior to takeover by Murdoch September 2015; relevant fact checkers still in place in June 2015.

Grow4me

Grow4me

He fired 50% of their award winning staff this week.

indicabush

indicabush

This is what I read:

It is reported that the layoff cut 180 of the 2,000 associates – a nine percent reduction in staff, which is the largest to ever hit the 127-year-old organization. Washington Post reports that layoffs hit nearly every department within the society which includes the print publication and television channel. So, this comes as little surprise:

Several people in the channel’s fact-checking department, for example, were terminated on Tuesday, employees said.

9% reduction in staff...several/more than 2 but not many.

Top Bottom