Natural cure for ROOT APHIDS

• Thread starter salmonslammer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Hi i just want too post some findings ive had on curing root aphid problems without useing harmful chemicals! Just add 1 cup of diatamacious earth too your potting mix and about a quarter inch over the top of soil after repotting and your problems with them little buggers are solved, i have been useing this method for quite some time without fail :}

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Good tip! DTE shreds the fuckers when they crawl across it. Great silica source too!

outwest

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sure didn't work for my root aphid problem. Works great for fungus gnats, though.

K

kushsmoker30

this stuff seems to create a layer on top of ur medium that dose not let water penetrate the way it did b4 using it, better if ur in smart pots then the kind with solid sides. JMO

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

I cant say why it didnt work for you seamaiden but it has worked flawlessly for me and my pals without fail and we had some terrible infestations.Also kush smoker you are right that it slows down water absorbsion a little but a wetting agent solves that problem and remember this treatment has no nasty chems! Oh and i thought that i should add that yucca is a awesome wetting agent Peace

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
motiv303 posted the true hammer for these in another thread...spectracide and bayer ..for the win...learn how to use that stuff and you are safe...sprintails are the other superbug..i cant shake them for the life of me o_O

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Just stating what has worked for us without any chems but would also like too add that we had limited success until it was mixed it into the soil at repotting !

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Good to keep in mind. I have some pool grade stuff that I mix in because I bought it, but only very small amounts because it becomes sludgy. It's been buried behind a generator and some other crap now so I haven't seen it in at least two years now.

With the RAs, when I thought they were FGs, I did the DE, but only on top.

You could make that into a song. Not me, I have no talent. You do it.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Good to keep in mind. I have some pool grade stuff that I mix in because I bought it, but only very small amounts because it becomes sludgy. It's been buried behind a generator and some other crap now so I haven't seen it in at least two years now.

With the RAs, when I thought they were FGs, I did the DE, but only on top.

You could make that into a song. Not me, I have no talent. You do it.

The pool grade DE and horticultural grade DE are different, I personally wouldn't use the pool grade stuff in my grows. I am not sure exactly what the differences are, but I would not be surprised if the pool grade DE had other additives in their that may not be so great for the plants. So if you are using DE I would make sure to get the horticultural grade products.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I just throw light handfuls around the property after I learned how it sludges up. However, even the insect stuff crusts up pretty quickly no matter how you're watering.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

They both sludge up. I had great results keeping FG under control in DWC with it. Be extremely careful with pool grade DE. It is different stuff and you do NOT want to breath it in!!!!!

Might as well huff asbestos

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think you don't want to breathe either in, right? I've always thought so, at least.

I don't know if you've tried to use the pool grade DE as a top-dressing for fungus gnats (or whatever) like I did, but the insect stuff doesn't turn to a thick goo the way the pool stuff does. That's what I'm talking about when I say it sludges up. It was like... it was like... it was pasty like baby shit. It was nasty.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I think you don't want to breathe either in, right? I've always thought so, at least.

I don't know if you've tried to use the pool grade DE as a top-dressing for fungus gnats (or whatever) like I did, but the insect stuff doesn't turn to a thick goo the way the pool stuff does. That's what I'm talking about when I say it sludges up. It was like... it was like... it was pasty like baby shit. It was nasty.

EEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!

The horticultural grade stuff does get kinda thick then dries to a crust. But that was why I liked to mix some right in with the soil. I would also just break up the dried crust with a light pound and all was good.

mountain

mountain

You add 1 cup to how many gallons of potting soil?

You sure they were root aphids and not Fungus Gnats?

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Make sure it is the horticultural grade stuff and i am currently useing 4 gallon pots oh and let me tell you they were definatly root aphids u can tell if you look at them and they have two exhaust pipe looking things coming off the top of there abdomen hope that this helps <peace> also if you pull the plant out of its container if you have root aphids they secrete a whitish substance that looks like this

http://t1.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzOJt7Jy9VA9oAw_PnD8uGIynkJc5mmhZIe95VCEL8DGJgZzaefQ

entropy99

entropy99

I've never had any luck using DE on any pest, aphids, fungus gnats or any others.

Phillthy

Phillthy

pyganic 1.4 at 40-50ml per gallon. drench slowly to runoff. knocks down 99% of them the first drench. hit again 3-5 days later then 3-5 days after that.

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Not "natural," but when $ is on the line, Bayer ROCKS, if you want to kill them ASAP and forget about it.

Top Bottom