Natural ways for ph+/-

• Thread starter organikn8
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

organikn8

ive been told not to adjust my ph using hydro chemicals as it will kill microlife, how can I change the ph of my water using something that wont kill stuff .
ph up?
ph down?

K

kes5480

i use apple cider vinager for phdown
and ihave it on hand so i use silica ...something(mad Farmer sample bottle) for ph up

lemon juice works for ph down also

O

organikn8

Im wondering how to adjust the ph of my water for flushing as I dont want to add anything that will add salts to the soil.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
ive been told not to adjust my ph using hydro chemicals as it will kill microlife, how can I change the ph of my water using something that wont kill stuff .
ph up?
ph down?
Mmm... ok, first, there are some things you should know. First, if you're really running a good organic soil, you'll only need to really monitor pH rather than adjust it, because between the plants' ability to make adjustments within the rhizosphere and the microbes' ability to do the same thing, they'll get it handled.

But, let's say you want to adjust pH anyway, just to prevent problems. While I haven't scoped the typical pH adjusters most often used, I know from my years of aquatic experience that a chemical pH adjuster will not kill microbial life simply because it's a chemical. It needs to occur in high enough concentrations. However, if your goal is to keep it 100% organic, then you want to use appropriate adjusters and products.

Make sense?

Now, the other side of the pH adjustment equation has to do with the source water. If that water is very alkaline (not a basic pH, but resistant to pH shift) then you'll end up dumping so much lemon juice or vinegar in the water trying to push pH down that it will end up being lemonade or vinegar-ade. You don't want that. If that's where you end up, then you need to filter the water or work with the pH as it is.

If all you're worried about is water for flushing (yet another debate/discussion on that concept) then don't fuck around with pH.

O

organikn8

Sea maiden thank you for the info as well as making it easy to understand

B

BUDOGHI

if my organic mix is running above seven I fertilize with down to earth fertilizer mix for acid loving plants and some gypsum. if the the mix is in low 6's (not usually the case) I fertilize with down to earth vegan mix and add some dolomite lime. When things are above 7 blood meal and fish emulsion also help bring ph down. the thing to remember don't expect big changes over night and don't over do your adjustments.

Top Bottom