Nearly silent compost tea brewer

• Thread starter Compost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze

Blaze

So one question I've never been able to get a straight answer for that comes to mind, is that is it possible to over-do the dissolved oxygen levels? Usually it seems like most people take the "more is better approach" with it. If your levels get too high can it be a hinderance?

C

CT Guy

So one question I've never been able to get a straight answer for that comes to mind, is that is it possible to over-do the dissolved oxygen levels? Usually it seems like most people take the "more is better approach" with it. If your levels get too high can it be a hinderance?

I have yet to see anyone over-do it on the air, short of sending the water shooting out of the bucket.

C

CT Guy

Thanx for the response, My brewer is a 40 gallon trash can and I mix what I want, usually about 20 gallons, I must admit I have like 50 pumps and air pumps and stones galore. So when I brew I use 2 air-pumps and 4 air-stones. I do make brews without greatwhite and I still get the foam if I let them go for like 36 hrs. I don't always run the great white and I really cant smell the molasses, I usually also add Kelp, The Alaskan Sea Kelp I forgot to mention that. Im really curios as to what exactly a store bought brewer does that Im not doing or cant do unless I buy one.

I thought I explained the difference between a store bought brewer and your trash can setup. How about this:

Your tea is just some brown water that may or may not be beneficial. You have no idea what sorts of organisms you have in regards to quantity or diversity. In a store-bought system you would have the assurance (provided it's a reliable company) and the knowledge to make a high quality tea every time.

I'm not saying your system sucks or that you need to run out and buy one versus making your own. If testing isn't important to you, then don't worry about it. I'm just saying that aerated compost tea is not something that can be evaluated without a microscope and a little bit of microscopy knowledge. If your plants are happy it may be from your tea or it may be from something else. You may get happier plants from a store bought tea or you may not see a difference.

Either way, I hope your plants are happy!

Cheers,
CT

C

CT Guy

Do thestore bought brewer's create bubbles/foam when its ready?

No brewers do this. The foam in not an indicator of any importance. I could make mine foam just by adding EWC and molasses. The craziest foam I ever saw was from straight alfalfa meal.

The KIS brewer has an air hole near the top of the bucket that blows air across the water surface to help reduce the foaming.

S

slunk

I just bought some pvc, pvc bits & tubing to make my own cleanable airstone. Now I just need to order an Alita air pump, and I'll be prepared to produce some most excellent teas!

B

baldhead

I think I read adding some vegetable oil will reduce foaming.

C

CT Guy

baldhead, that is true, though you don't need very much. Maybe a teaspoon or two for a 5 gallon brewer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom