Need A Little Help With A Huge Problem.

• Thread starter MidwestToker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I have a strain that I use that has been giving me fits for the last few runs. It's a Blue Mango I made from a mix of a 05 DJ Shorts Blueberry (F) and a 10 Mango Haze (M). I've been running this strain for about 5 years now and the last time I had 5 in 3gallon smart pots and only 1 made it to finish. Every thing is fine until around 4 weeks of flower then they start doing this.
Need a little help with a huge problem Need a little help with a huge problem 2 Need a little help with a huge problem 3 Need a little help with a huge problem 4 Need a little help with a huge problem 5 Need a little help with a huge problem 6

Details are as followed. 18 lt. pots of cyco coco with 10% added perlite. 4x4x7 grow box with a 600 watt Hortilux HPS with open reflector. Ventilation is 170 CFM fan with a carbon filter, temps are running 78 degrees lights on and 50% RH. Nute's are GH cocotek 2part at 600 ppm's in veg and 850 ppm's in flower.
As I said I've ran this strain for almost 5 years now without any problems and none of my other strains are being effected.

Toaster79

Toaster79

At first it looks like P deficiency but out of experience i would say over fert. Do you flush regularly? Can you measure your runoff EC?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

At first it looks like P deficiency but out of experience i would say over fert. Do you flush regularly? Can you measure your runoff EC?
Been running this strain for almost 5 years the same way without any problems until now. Coco, drain to waste, Runoff EC is not a viable test from my experience.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Over time genetics become less and less stable. Maybe its had its run my man.
I believe it is either that or a root problem as when the others died you where able to pull the stalk out with very few roots hanging on. I've dealt with every problem that has come in my timely growing experience but this has me stumped. I've checked for bugs, pH problems and there's nothing I can see. Maybe @Seamaiden has experienced with root diseases and the likes.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Measure your runoff, looks like salts built up.

Your mother plant is 5 years old right? Clones produce less and less as they are also 5 years old. And as they produce less, they eat less.

Last edited:
cocoJoe

cocoJoe

To me,,
Your coco/perlite looks dry..
Your plants are eating the fan leaves in their 5th week flower surge and getting close to finishing.. For me normal.. I let my plants eat the fans when they are ripening..
Makes for a nute free/clean smoke..

What I see,,
ccJ

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Thanks' people for your responses. I rarely keep my mothers for more than a year but I have 3 pheno's of GHS SLH that I've keep for 10 years now without much loss in yield or vigor. The mothers for this one has been around less than a year.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

To me,,
Your coco/perlite looks dry..
Your plants are eating the fan leaves in their 5th week flower surge and getting close to finishing.. For me normal.. I let my plants eat the fans when they are ripening..
Makes for a nute free/clean smoke..

What I see,,
ccJ
These are at 45 days of flower.DSCN0628

Same strain before harvest on 04/12/2015 @ 65 Days

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Yes I am purposely letting them dry out more than usual because the last time they stopped up taking any nutes' or water at day 48 and preceded to die. here's a couple of pic of what they are ending up looking like before harvest. DSCN0658 DSCN0659

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

7 weeks of flower?? These two you did not let dry out??
My coco is always wet.. Coco can't be treated the same as soil.. imho
Run to waist water/feeding,, correct??
Tell me more please..

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
This looks like an overall lack of trace elements and potassium.

I'm leaning towards , salt build up or underfeeding.
Do you do any flushes mid grow?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Normally, yes my coco pots get watered with at least 24 oz of water a day with a 20% run-off on the 3rd day. Never strait water always nute'd . I've been using coco for several years in fact my avatar is a SLH that I left in my pole barn under a 400 hps that got nutes' once every 5 days in 5 gallons of strait coco. I've amended my coco with organics and done well. Fact is I prefer coco base over a peat based soil every time.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Normally, yes my coco pots get watered with at least 24 oz of water a day with a 20% run-off on the 3rd day. Never strait water always nute'd . I've been using coco for several years in fact my avatar is a SLH that I left in my pole barn under a 400 hps that got nutes' once every 5 days in 5 gallons of strait coco. I've amended my coco with organics and done well. Fact is I prefer coco base over a peat based soil every time.

I think your running into major salt build up from having a feed feed feed schedule. A mid season flush wouldnt hurt imo.

Best of luck.
Peace

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

This looks like an overall lack of trace elements and potassium.

I'm leaning towards , salt build up or underfeeding.
Do you do any flushes mid grow?

I would agree with you but the only thing that changed was the use of smart pots one time. Same environment same lighting same nutes' as the run on 4/12 this year.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Have you had any trouble with cloning from these plants? I had symptoms identical to your pics, also with lousy root systems. When I harvested, the stem pulled right out of the soil like the root system was rotten.
My diagnosis was fusarium. It was in many of my mother plants and I could hold it off by transplanting, but mid-to-late flower they just seemed to fade. If also made cloning a nightmare. Whole trays would mold up and die almost overnight.
My solution? Actinovate and OG Biowar Foliar Pack. I mixed them in the soil as well as following the directions, and in about 3 weeks my cloning efforts were back on point and the plants in veg stopped drooping an hour before lights off. Haven't seen the issue in my flower rooms since, either.
Good luck, brother.

Top Bottom