need a rez for my ebb & flow

• Thread starter gudkarma
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gudkarma

i bought this very nice, very sturdy, very inexpensive, thick abs plastic concrete mixing tub.

my plan is to use it for an ebb & flow set up.

my question is :

does anybody know of a rez that is:

1) fairly low profile
2) holds 15 to 20 (ish) gallons of h20
3) thick & sturdy plastic
4) has a removable lid
5) is priced reasonably

i run dwc so i know totes are an option.

i was thinking about something like those buckets guys/gals are using with undercurrent set ups.

any other options?

especially something i don't have to order online.

TIA

~gudkarma

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Totes or simply build one out of plywood and plastic sheeting. If you want a tougher solution, line it with hpde or vinyl available at homedepot. (the stuff for shower pans).

G

gudkarma

i live right outside a major city.

never considered it & definitely have to look into that.

H

hailo

I used this setup to grow cucumbers a while back....but i used rubbermaid roughnecks...
they were too flimsy....

i say try the tuffboxs that mpbs are using....

G

gudkarma

i agree : the totes are not where its at.

and, i was looking for the name of those containers : tuffbox

good looking out.

B

Bobby Smith

just an idea that may help you...

In my area there are wholesale supply distributors and repackagers for cleaning supplies and bulk restaurant food.

They buy bulk product in 20, 50 or 80 gal barrels. They remove the product from these bulk containers and repackage them in small 10 to 40 fluid once containers. (the process sound familiar? haha)

Anyways, these large bulk containers are put out for recycling, sometimes 50 to 100 a day. As long as the container stored food or a non toxic cleaner like mild dish soap you can easily sterilize them for your use.
A lot of these have removable tops or large threaded access sections.
I have a couple old olive containers I used to use a my rez... had a bunch of 30 gal feta containers I chopped in half and used as outdoor planters .

The best part is if you ask nicely they typically let you take as many as you want for free.

good luck

Any barrel is WAY too tall for an E&F reservoir - height's always the biggest problem with those setups.

For my old 4x4 Botanicare tray, I ran a 45 gallon sterilite underneath it, and built a wooden frame around it to help it keep its shape and not bow from the water pressure.

Worked fucking great, and is one of the only useful ideas I ever came up with on my own.

Took about two minutes to put together - reservoir and wood were <$20 for the whole setup.

I'd show you a pic but my hard drive got wiped clean - if you're interested in seeing it though, PM me and I'll send you a link to an old grow journal on another site.

G

gudkarma

For my old 4x4 Botanicare tray, I ran a 45 gallon sterilite underneath it, and built a wooden frame around it to help it keep its shape and not bow from the water pressure.

great idea!

i actually have 2 black, abs, rezzy barrels @ 35 gallons each.

i am using one as storage for nute water. the other is a gift for my home boy.

right on point, too tall.

i need a lower profile unit since my flower room is only 6' tall.

i thought about a bucket style ebb & grow set up with remote rez ...but i can fit more plants in the space with tables ...& do it for a fraction of the cost.

besides why grow lollipops in buckets?

B

Bobby Smith

genius!

i actually have 2 black, abs, rezzy barrels @ 35 gallons each.

right on point, too tall.
i need low profile since my flower room is only 6' tall.

i thought about a bucket style ebb & grow with remote rez ...but i can fint more plants in with the table ...abd do it for a fraction of the cost.

besides why grow lollipops in buckets?

I did 25 plants my first run in it last year, and then since I knew it was my last run before I gutted and renovated my garage (taken $10K and the last month of my life and we're still counting) I ran 142 plants in that 4x4 tray my last run.

Now that was a fucking SOG.

G

gudkarma

lol... you had me at 142 plants.

how did you do the grow medium & containers?

B

Bobby Smith

4" square pots (get the "deep" ones if possible, much more root volume).

Hydroton.

Flooded every hour for five minutes.

R

RMCG

s7_013317_imageset_01

B

Bobby Smith

RMCG, have actually been thinking about using one of those for my rez for my vert setup, but can't seem to find any bigger than 40 gallons except for marine coolers, which are like $500.

G

gudkarma

holy shit... shwing.

mad boner!

a cooler.

yes.

makes sense ...i've seen people rocking them for dwc.

R

RMCG

google 150qt marine cooler.

Coleman 37.5g and its already insulated.
~150$

I don't support Walmart, but they sell it too.

B

Bobby Smith

google 150qt marine cooler.

Coleman 37.5g and its already insulated.
~150$

I don't support Walmart, but they sell it too.

Lol.........I had my eye on that Coleman 150 quart one, but 37.5 gallons wasn't quite enough for my application.

Also, they've unfortunately stopped carrying it and now only carry the 100 quart version - too bad, because at $80 (they had them both the same price) it was a fucking steal.

Curb Feeler

Curb Feeler

We make homemade hydroponic "pods" from the large, black masonry trays available at most hardware stores.

We found that this tray fits snugly into the top of 30 gallon sterlite containers.

All you have to do is drill some smaller holes in the bottom of the tray, about pencil diameter so the tub can completely drain after the flood.

You will need a few larger holes up on the sides of the masonry tray, this is your fill level.

Last, you just need a timer and a pump with a hose running from the Sterlite up to the masonry tray. Flooding 15 minutes every 3 hours seems perfect.

Cheap and simple. They are great for growing out clones, but can also be used for budding.

Sterlite is $10

Masonry tray is $8

300 gph pump is around $25

A 15 minute increment timer is around $15

Good luck!

J

Jalisco Kid

If you want to spend 150 on 150 QT container I build systems and I could make you one to spec. all double sided fitting with large port hole. A 50 gal barrel(apple juice) on its side would work cheaply just nowhere near the quality of my tanks. JK

T

Tr33

shit 142 plants! insane.
damn I thought I was packing my 2x600watt 4x4 tray at 60+ back in 2000
I went from 10oz -12oz at 60+ plants
to
3lbs with 36 plants under that 1200watts

you got me.

G

gudkarma

I here ya.
The place by me has some squat barrels too ... My Feta ones are wider then tall... and some can work well on their side in a wood rack.

my initial thought was to use my 35 gal barrel rez on its side in a cradle.

i'd love to find a squat barrel too.

i really think the cooler idea is best for my flower room conditions & i know people rock them with a high degree of success in dwc set ups.

finally, if the mixing tray i bought fits INTO a 30 gal sterlite container... i may go this route for the space (height) savings.

while my wife is the opposite, i hate waste & love to re-use anything & everything.

in this case however, i need fuction over form due to space (room dimensions) limitations.

you guys rock!

...maybe somebody will drop a few nuggets of wisdom in my other post.

~karma

Top Bottom