Need advice for a hydro setup please

• Thread starter Satla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Satla

gonna build a drip system, net pots in tubes
and i was wandering what material to use for the tubes, can wood work?

i'm not sure about the medium yet,
i was thinking to use rockwool cubes but i heard they don't manufacture them anymore.
any advice would be appreciated.

the strain is jack herrer
and this is my first hydro grow..

aldus

aldus

No idea about them not making rockwool cubes anymore, but if you are relying on gravity to get water down / around the pipes I would go with something that would allow the water to easily flow through like hydroton.

I saw a build that used PVC pipes if that's what you're planning on using I believe by Heath Robinson.

G

GroHi

lol... never tried growing in wood before? the bomb! ;-)

You can line the wood trays (if thinking 1"x8"x4' or the like) with a black poly... just make sure no holes/tears. You'll need rims on either side. Go 5mil minimum thickness. They make pond liners that is super thick but a little more pricey. Don't try sealing the wood though, especially recirculating.

BTW, Heath is off the chart... if you want something to aspire towards. Peace.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Rockwool isn't goin anywhere, it is the largest commercially used hydroponic media in the world, it will be around for decades to come.....Grodan is actually expanding the last heard.

6"-8" PVC with 2"-3" netpots with hydroton in them, top drip on timed intervals and a constant flow through the tubes themselves after the roots take over.

Wood is porous and will soak up water if not lined and warp and crack as well as deform. Wood my also be treated at the sawmill level with different chemicals that will leech out over time into your grow..Heat and moisture will cause the wood to break down over time...just not the material I would choose personally.

Tex

J

Jalisco Kid

I would use misters in the pvc rather then 7/24 constant feed. More aeration.JK

S

Satla

a constant flow through the tubes themselves after the roots take over.

You mean the pump will work 24/7?
and the water is flowing through a seperate hole in the high end of the tube?

I came to realize that the hardware store sells 8" PVC pipes for 15$ a foot...
does that make any sense?
what are my other options besides PVC?

and how much space should i leave between the bottom of the pot to the bottom of the tube?
something like a half?
these plants are gonna flower for 10 weeks. and will be pretty big by the end of the cycle.

appreciate your help. :passingjoint:

Top Bottom