Need advice for my LED

• Thread starter AttackPanda
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AttackPanda

AttackPanda

Absolutely! I can only speak of what works for me. And I have had way more success since Iā€™ve given up on the science that the big nute companyā€™s want us to think!
I def consider it a art form !
sure sure i can only pass along what works for me and the amount of information i can take in via this forum , members like yourself and some great informational videos on the interweb .
BOL

OG
Thanks for keeping it civil guys, I really am starting to like this forum already, this is a great community, but alright I'll do that asap then, God I hate being broke lol, how much do they normally run for? and got any advice on the best brands?

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
Thanks for keeping it civil guys, I really am starting to like this forum already, this is a great community, but alright I'll do that asap then, God I hate being broke lol, how much do they normally run for? and got any advice on the best brands?

cheap set on amazon that i use and they work well for the money. where you at on the planet, maybe a member lives close by and has one to toss ya or drop in the mail? i'm sure most guys who have been farming for any length of time would have several.

BOL

OG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NJR692/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

cheap set on amazon that i use and they work well for the money. where you at on the planet, maybe a member lives close by and has one to toss ya or drop in the mail? i'm sure most guys who have been farming for any length of time would have several.

BOL

OG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NJR692/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Michigan USA, Holland that would be the coolest thing ever lol, you guys are really awesome, like for real, really making my day with all this help and advice. But alright I'll see if I can save up and swing it, not going for a pity party but I'm at the point where even 10$ is a lot lol

Moshmen

Moshmen

U will be alright ! Are you using tap wAter?
Holland huh, Iā€™m from the kazoo area! Lol

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

U will be alright ! Are you using tap wAter?
Holland huh, Iā€™m from the kazoo area! Lol
No way oh wow lol, that is not far at all, worlds a small place sometimes lol but yeah I am, no choice really lol, I know it's not optimal. But it saves me from having to get Cal-Mag and I let it sit for 24 hours to get rid of the chlorine. Thank you for the encouragement. It means a lot.

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

UPDATE: Here's how they are looking now, are they doing alright? Also, I am trying a new light cycle that I heard about that really helps the plants,, cannabis plants can apparently only absorb so much light at once, and so you give them 6 hours of light then 2 hours of dark and repeat that 24/7. And so far it's going real well I think, if anyone has any advice that would be great.

Grow5
Deke

Deke

they look fine. You might want to prop them up straight. They will be easier to deal with later, then lst will be easier as well. You have 265 true watts, that's plenty for the area you seem to be in .50w per as ft is optimal. I start my seedlings at 30" then lower slowly. 24" might be ok, I'm using COB's so it's different. Good luck, remember don't over water, less is more and don't stress out, they are hearty plants just let them do what they do.

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

they look fine. You might want to prop them up straight. They will be easier to deal with later, then lst will be easier as well. You have 265 true watts, that's plenty for the area you seem to be in .50w per as ft is optimal. I start my seedlings at 30" then lower slowly. 24" might be ok, I'm using COB's so it's different. Good luck, remember don't over water, less is more and don't stress out, they are hearty plants just let them do what they do.
Thank you very much for the advice, I'm glad they are looking alright, this is my first time growing so I'm new to everything, Should I top them right about now? or when do you do that? and alright yeah it's just a small closet so I hope it's enough light for 3 plants.

Deke

Deke

Id wait a bit on the hoping. Get them straightened out then top. Look for about 5 to 6 .sets of shoots before topping knowing the bottom ones will be cut. That will leave you with 3 to 4 good sets .
Also just fyi turn the light off when taking pics. Helps us all out.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Best advice i can give is to find the acutal watts of your led system, you can only know by experimenting, maybe make a new seyup with just a 50w led buld or some fluecents to get your seedlings started, on my led system, i have actual watts of 450, i started 24" (inches)veg and 15/18" flower, download a lux light meter or get one from amazon cheap, this will help you determin how much light your plants is hetting.
This is invaluable.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Ele...ocphy=9030872&hvtargid=pla-306572288073&psc=1

I wouldn't top a seedling. In fact when stems get stretchy like those are; you can add more soil and cover up some of the stem. Roots will grow there, and it is a good practice, before they get out of hand. You might consider using a cheapo CFL light for seedlings. You can put them very close and usually stop the stretching.. I top after the 4th node, depending on height. ( a vegging plant..not a seedling)

Last edited:
Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I do not agree that the light was to bright ect, and is what originally burnt some of the plants.

I use a 1000w Hortilux HPS at no more than 24 inches on seedlings, and often times even closer than that. But the temp at the canopy never exceeds 82 degrees. I also always keep a small breeze on them. 24 hours a day.

Im also a firm believer in 24 hours veg vs anything else. On a regular HID I will turn it off for 3 hours every 2 days to cool the ignitor. Been doing this 40 years. I also use DE Gavitas, and Gavita 1700e LED-1700 umolā€¦.

The light being used is 245w actual watts, and are not the best diodes. The very best LED are 1/3 more efficient vs HID Single Ended.... 1000w Hortilux HPS is the standard for SE-HID-1600 umol.

At best the light is close to a 300w HID, and that's being generous.

I myself would get the light much closer, put a small breeze on them, keep the temps 78-82 degrees, and all the fresh air possible. I would watch overwatering, and mainly water a diameter only slightly more than the leafs measure from tip-tip. I would not saturate them. If they are wet longer than 2.5 days, its to much water.

I would get a cheap moisture-ph-light meter at Lowes, use it and never let the needle reach DRY, always slightly above... LOW MOIST, and NEVER TO THE DRY LINE

They are in no way anywhere near healthy, nor big enough to take cuttings. They need to be growing vigorously, so the cuttings will be healthy

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

I do not agree that the light was to bright ect, and is what originally burnt some of the plants.

I use a 1000w Hortilux HPS at no more than 24 inches on seedlings, and often times even closer than that. But the temp at the canopy never exceeds 82 degrees. I also always keep a small breeze on them. 24 hours a day.

Im also a firm believer in 24 hours veg vs anything else. On a regular HID I will turn it off for 3 hours every 2 days to cool the ignitor. Been doing this 40 years. I also use DE Gavitas, and Gavita 1700e LED-1700 umolā€¦.

The light being used is 245w actual watts, and are not the best diodes. The very best LED are 1/3 more efficient vs HID Single Ended.... 1000w Hortilux HPS is the standard for SE-HID-1600 umol.

At best the light is close to a 300w HID, and that's being generous.

I myself would get the light much closer, put a small breeze on them, keep the temps 78-82 degrees, and all the fresh air possible. I would watch overwatering, and mainly water a diameter only slightly more than the leafs measure from tip-tip. I would not saturate them. If they are wet longer than 2.5 days, its to much water.

I would get a cheap moisture-ph-light meter at Lowes, use it and never let the needle reach DRY, always slightly above... LOW MOIST, and NEVER TO THE DRY LINE

They are in no way anywhere near healthy, nor big enough to take cuttings. They need to be growing vigorously, so the cuttings will be healthy
I am sorry but I don't agree, this light is one of the newer better-made LEDS, it is triple chip led, meaning each little LED on there produces 15ws, now I know that's not true wats, but there is 100 of those on there, so 1500 watts, that as to be at least 500 true watts by your 1/3rd ratio which I don't think is correct on the new LEDS. I've tried your approach and it easily causes light burn, I still struggle with these plants now not getting them at light burn, and I even turned my thermostat down to 66!! just to help keep these things cool, I also have a light fan on them. I mean I don't see how that is not light burn when they turn all white then shrivel up and die, unless I am fundamentally misunderstanding something. and I have gotten some conflicting advice so I am wondering who to go with on some of these things but I appreciate it all none the less, I really appreciate you taking your time to tell me your opinions, would you be able to elaborate more on why you think that is the cause? you did look at my posts where I showed the amazon listing correct?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Alright thanks again guys, That is with only the veg light switched on, when the bloom light is turned on it goes from that pink to a deep red. So basically I'll just have to keep a close eye on it and lower the light as it tolerates it then? Should I start at 36" or even higher? Also they just turned about 2 weeks old, I think it's 15 days today actually, so I started giving them small amounts of nutes as well, half what fox farms says to use on the bottle, and I dilute as needed too. does that sound about right? Also how many sets of leaves should they have before I transfer them into a bigger container? Sorry this is my first grow and I am really trying to make sure i have this right, I am always doubting myself lol. My disability always causes me to be in a bit of a fog so it's hard for me sometimes.
If I understand the answers that the manufacturer is giving..that "1500 watt" light draws 165 watts with veg only on and 265 watts with both switches on. (from the Amazon Review questions)

Not trying to be a dick, but I suggest that you go back and do some reading about growing seedlings in general. Common errors include: nutes too fast, too much water, too much light..in fact too much of anything is bad.

I own multiple high power white lights and my seedlings never see those lights until well after the actual leaves have reached the outer rim of a solo cup (drip line). The only reason I bought this is that I would nave needed way too many CFLs.

Not saying too buy unneeded stuff, but many have daylight CFLs or even screw in lamp LEDs already in their home.
Note: the plant on the left was odd and subsequently culled.

5 3 19 seedlings

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

If I understand the answers that the manufacturer is giving..that "1500 watt" light draws 165 watts with veg only on and 265 watts with both switches on. (from the Amazon Review questions)

Not trying to be a dick, but I suggest that you go back and do some reading about growing seedlings in general. Common errors include: nutes too fast, too much water, too much light..in fact too much of anything is bad.

I own multiple high power white lights and my seedlings never see those lights until well after the actual leaves have reached the outer rim of a solo cup (drip line). The only reason I bought this is that I would nave needed way too many CFLs.

Not saying too buy unneeded stuff, but many have daylight CFLs or even screw in lamp LEDs already in their home.

View attachment 916968

Yup, very safe instruction. If you have a light meter, you can be a bit more tricky. I put my seedlings and clones under the canopy of my larger plants for a few days before letting them out under the big light, when I let them out, I move it a little each day until its fully out.

CFL bulbs work great, so do led bulbs.
Just one bulb, start about 12" away, if you notice stretching, move it closer.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yup, very safe instruction. If you have a light meter, you can be a bit more tricky. I put my seedlings and clones under the canopy of my larger plants for a few days before letting them out under the big light, when I let them out, I move it a little each day until its fully out.

CFL bulbs work great, so do led bulbs.
Just one bulb, start about 12" away, if you notice stretching, move it closer.
I used to keep the CFLs within 3-4 " and no problems.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I am sorry but I don't agree, this light is one of the newer better-made LEDS, it is triple chip led, meaning each little LED on there produces 15ws, now I know that's not true wats, but there is 100 of those on there, so 1500 watts, that as to be at least 500 true watts by your 1/3rd ratio which I don't think is correct on the new LEDS. I've tried your approach and it easily causes light burn, I still struggle with these plants now not getting them at light burn, and I even turned my thermostat down to 66!! just to help keep these things cool, I also have a light fan on them. I mean I don't see how that is not light burn when they turn all white then shrivel up and die, unless I am fundamentally misunderstanding something. and I have gotten some conflicting advice so I am wondering who to go with on some of these things but I appreciate it all none the less, I really appreciate you taking your time to tell me your opinions, would you be able to elaborate more on why you think that is the cause? you did look at my posts where I showed the amazon listing correct?

The light you have says it draws 240w at the wall. I use 1000w everyday, all day for 40 years, and 24 hours of light. At 24 inches at most. I have great airflow too. I never get light burn.

Ive got 1 of the best LED made. A Gavita 1700e. Pulls 645w, and is 1700 umol. 100 umol MORE vs a 1000w Hortilux HPS.

How many watts do you think the sun is per sq/ft?? Over 100w. Up to 125w-sq/ft at high altitude, at/near the equator. Say equador in the Andes.
A 1000w Hortilux HPS is at best 62.5w-sq/ft in a 4 x 4 area.

You also know when you reduce the temps like that, and feed it a strong dose of food you risk nutrient burn>> The cooler the temps, the less food they will consume, less water, and if watered with the same amount vs when temps are 75 or above, the plants have a good chance of developing all kinds of problems. Plants metabolize slower at cool temps, thus reducing the need for food, and water.

BigCube

BigCube

You dont need a horrible amount of light just to grow some buds. Lots of great smoke has been grown at low wattage, it's all relative.

1000w hps in 4x4x6 is impressive. But that same light for a 12x12x8 room is a joke.
Likewise 7 100w equivalent led bulbs running for a total of 105 watts in a 4x4x6 tent is laughable, but that same setup in a 1.5x1.5x3 is actually quite good.

The question is; how much do you want to yield?

Find your answer and build your setup appropriately.

I like the idea of having 2 3x3x6 tents with nice lights that fit my needs. Each tent has 240w to 265w of light.

If you read this far... If you take anything away from this, it should be that more light is not always the answer.

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

View attachment 916968
I understand what you're trying to say, but in this case, I don't know, Then again it could have just been weak genetics or something with the last seeds, or maybe even heat, honestly I am thinking more towards heat from what you have all been saying but I didn't give them food or even really water as they died too quickly, and the light was almost 48 inches above them, but I still greatly appreciate all the advice, I'm past the point where I would need those now thankfully as I have almost no extra money for anything else, that's why I bought only the big light, all I could afford right now.

The light you have says it draws 240w at the wall. I use 1000w everyday, all day for 40 years, and 24 hours of light. At 24 inches at most. I have great airflow too. I never get light burn.

Ive got 1 of the best LED made. A Gavita 1700e. Pulls 645w, and is 1700 umol. 100 umol MORE vs a 1000w Hortilux HPS.

How many watts do you think the sun is per sq/ft?? Over 100w. Up to 125w-sq/ft at high altitude, at/near the equator. Say equador in the Andes.
A 1000w Hortilux HPS is at best 62.5w-sq/ft in a 4 x 4 area.

You also know when you reduce the temps like that, and feed it a strong dose of food you risk nutrient burn>> The cooler the temps, the less food they will consume, less water, and if watered with the same amount vs when temps are 75 or above, the plants have a good chance of developing all kinds of problems. Plants metabolize slower at cool temps, thus reducing the need for food, and water.

Then it must of been something with the genetics or heat, I really can't think of anything else. Again thank you for the advice.

You dont need a horrible amount of light just to grow some buds. Lots of great smoke has been grown at low wattage, it's all relative.

1000w hps in 4x4x6 is impressive. But that same light for a 12x12x8 room is a joke.
Likewise 7 100w equivalent led bulbs running for a total of 105 watts in a 4x4x6 tent is laughable, but that same setup in a 1.5x1.5x3 is actually quite good.

The question is; how much do you want to yield?

Find your answer and build your setup appropriately.

I like the idea of having 2 3x3x6 tents with nice lights that fit my needs. Each tent has 240w to 265w of light.

If you read this far... If you take anything away from this, it should be that more light is not always the answer.

Thank you for the advice as well, I am really hoping that this is enough light to at least get a medium yield.

BigCube

BigCube

I understand what you're trying to say, but in this case, I don't know, Then again it could have just been weak genetics or something with the last seeds, or maybe even heat, honestly I am thinking more towards heat from what you have all been saying but I didn't give them food or even really water as they died too quickly, and the light was almost 48 inches above them, but I still greatly appreciate all the advice, I'm past the point where I would need those now thankfully as I have almost no extra money for anything else, that's why I bought only the big light, all I could afford right now.

Then it must of been something with the genetics or heat, I really can't think of anything else. Again thank you for the advice.

Thank you for the advice as well, I am really hoping that this is enough light to at least get a medium yield.

I'm sure it will. Anything led around 200w in a smallish tent will get you medium yields for sure. My 265w $100 x5 cob grew me a few grams short of a half pound šŸ˜€

That's not to say you wont buy a better light, once you save all that money you would have spent on weed!

AttackPanda

AttackPanda

UPDATE: Here's how they are looking now, I think they are growing great, the one on the left is a little crispy but I think it's ok, I think it is a heat issue, trying to cool them down, but otherwise they are growing really well, what are your thoughts on when I should transfer them? another set of leaves or so?

Grow6

Latest posts

Top Bottom