need advice on cloning for sex and pheno

• Thread starter Roskito
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Roskito

Im gonna start changing my approach to indoor on my next run. no more fem seeds. so i need some advice on the process of vegging say reg seeds, cloning them, determining sex, and selecting the best pheno. Theres so much conflicting info on how long to veg before cloning, how long to wait before forced flowering, etc. I know the these questions may be strain specific. im gonna start with 12 GTH #1 seeds. Im trying to step up my game here and need my fellow farmers advice...Anybody have an opinion or informative link?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I personally would find a method that fits with how you do things. For example, to *me*, it makes no sense to pop beans to then clone them before they've shown sex, makes no sense at all. I'd wait til they show sex (alternating nodes are the signal), THEN I'd clone.

R

Roskito

i would clone them and flower the mothers, so i can find the best possible pheno from the finished bunch and work with the 2 clones i took of her. ive read that putting a clone from a flowering plant back into veg is not the proper way of doing this as it can stress the plant. thats what ive read. probably in some other forum.

R

Roskito

I am documenting a re-veg from flowers situation presently.
Took the cuttings over a month ago. They rooted in the normal two weeks, but the re-veg has been glacial.
It also includes some fresh seed starts.
The effort I'm working on with seedlings is to attempt to bring them all to the same stage while starting with almost a three week spread.
Have a look:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...e-yields-fresh-seed-order-and-grow-log.61673/
so are you putting the clones in the flower room or the seedlings or both? im a little confused. if so, for how long each day?

Dunge

Dunge

so are you putting the clones in the flower room or the seedlings or both? im a little confused. if so, for how long each day?
I'm shifting the small seedlings into the brighter flower area on a daily basis.
The clones are taking forever. But that's ok because I won't have flower space for them until after the seedlings, which are ten weeks out from starting flower.
Let's just say this is the plan. But planning three flower cycles out is a bit sketchy for me in that summer may play a part.
I enjoy sexing plants and training them for flower.
Topping above fifth node.
I like super soil and tea for the grow, but seedlings get promix starter trays and direct sowing of seed.

Cort

Cort

I always took cuttings from seeds as soon as they were all able. Named strain 1 2 3 Then after i flower my clones I decide on my keeper/s

You never know. The girl that seems the slowest starting, slowest veging ugly plant around will end up the dankest shit you ever grew.

You need to flower each seed to see if there is a keeper.

Last edited:
R

Roskito

thanks! this is gonna be my new approach. flowering the clones to find the keeper moms and clone the hell of her seems like the most efficient way to run an indoor grow. no more expensive seeds being seized by customs. Im still new at this indoor stuff. its a lot more planning than dropping seed outised in march and watching the magic happen.

J

Jalisco Kid

I agree with Cort if you are serious in looking . Especially with males. I would not take the cuts early,no need to stress out the plant. Around flip you need to clean up the plant and get it ready for flowering.Those branches I removed for this is what I would use for cloning.I use wire ties in many colors to mark the plants, they can not fall off or writing smeared. It is easier to pay for a known cut,but pheno hunting is fun and more personable. I must admit I have really fed my ego enjoying a smoke that only myself and few friends have tried. But I must warn you I have crossed the smelliest, thick stemmed, stud to the knarlist known female I have had and the progeny was weak assed worthless crap. Some experiments blow up in your face, some lead to simple but great things like velcro. Then again you might have the devils luck and pop some bagseed and start another line like chems.

And to Seamaiden I must say you should clone some flowers. I do this on my quick cloning varieties.Most of my girls takes 3-4 weeks normally to get out of the cloning area. My BP would take 2.5 months for this, but the effort was worth it. Where that bud is will pop out about 10 branches. Great for trees or backyard plants.
JK

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My usual approach is to let the seeds sex, get them into their final (growing) destination and then start my observations. I usually do *not* take cuts until they're well into flowering. That gives me a chance to see how they perform and what they may produce.

Top Bottom