Need Advice On Cloning To Save A Choice Pheno.

• Thread starter canadaseed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
canadaseed

canadaseed

Hey farm...

I have a special plant i would like to keep around and it just realized one of my plants grew nanners and pollinated her. So i don't even think I'll get any buds off my ISS, will be all seeded.

My question(s) is how early can pollination occur, like the very bottom branches have barely visible flowers were they pollinated too? Because i've picked off 4 calyxs all were seeded. Can i clone some bottom branches. all help is appreciated... I'm having terrible success cloning using honey I need this to go well. The ISS have a hazey lime tart smell one i'd love to keep in my room. What would be a good way to go about cloning.

canadaseed

canadaseed

I have 2 cutting in very moist soil and the leafs are going yellow drooping. Altho the upper tier has life to it, i would really like to root these ones as they are still in veg.

Quagmire

Quagmire

Are you sure you wanna clone a plant that went Hermie on ya?? If you don't have light leaks or hard stress it should never happen. That said, here's a great way to clone buddy.. DIP-n-GROW. Just follow mixing directions to the tee, and, this stuff lasts years for $10. Take your cuttings a few inches below a node area and place in good water. I use Rapid Rooter Plugs, presoak in a light mix of Thrive Alive B-1 and squeeze half the moisture from them. I then make the hole a bit deeper almost to bottom of RR plug. With my new exacto blade I take a cutting and cut it right thru the node region at a 45 degree angle. Roots explode from node regions of the plant . I then shave a 1 inch strip on the bottom of the stem opposite the 45 cut, roots come out here too.. Now, place in Dip-n-Grow for a 5 sec count, push into RR plug.. Now, one of the only problems I've found with these plugs is the cuts tend to spin if not secured ripping all the tiny hair roots that start. So, ya rip a few tiny pieces off the edges of the plug and push them down in next to the stem top to prevent this.. The rest is up to the cloner. I use the plastic chicken containers from Walmart that they sell whole cooked chickens in.. put a weep hole in top for excess moisture to escape. With a used heat pad for my back, I place them on back of toilet using window light.. spritz daily, pop the top a few times a day to replace the air.. do not over spritz as excess water runs into the plugs... if this happens, simply place them on paper towels and the towel will draw out the moisture quickly.. I get roots in 3 days doing this and almost 100% keepers... LUCK bro. Here to help.

canadaseed

canadaseed

ok awesome thx guys... so i'll need to pick up a few items to do this properly.. i was gonna try clonex but olivias maybe a better choice. @Quagmire it's the ISS i wanna clone.. the Lavender grew nanners and pollinated her neighbor. Now ISS got pollinated my Lavender. thx for ur input.. i didnt realize how much was involved.. 3 days thats amazing

Quagmire

Quagmire

OH ok.. sorry bout dat. I'm here to help ya man and I had many problems with cloning when I first started. Killed the with too much love, spritzing them 4x's a day. lol. Best thing to do I found out was follow my directions above and leave them be and make sure they are not TOO wet. Fresh air few times a day. for the most part tho, leave them be and let them do what they do. Place a flat style thermometer in the tray and your goal is to keep the base of the humidity dome at 78-82 F is what I found roots them fastest.. you have any questions we'll get ya straightened out.

Quagmire

Quagmire

I have another style of cloning, see what ya think... Take a Rapid Rooter plug and cut it in half right thru the hole.. now you should have to half's with the hole exposed on each side. Pick a branch to save as a clone, good thing doing this is you can get much larger cuts..
Now, using a razor blade, not scissors because they tend to pinch the cut. Shave a node region long ways about an inch to 1 1/2". Of course you've pre-soaked the RR plug in T.A live B-1, standard for me.. Using a tiny paint brush, paint the Dip-n-Grow onto the shaved area then immediately wrap the RR plug around and then wrap it in Aluminum Foil.. if light is hitting the foil wrap a white cloth around this.. Now daily you'll have to unwrap it and spritz it if needed. When roots show thru the plug, simply cut below the RR plug and BuhBam.. you have a rooted cut. hope I explained this where it makes sense.. a friend taught me this years ago and it works great. A bit more challenging but impressive all the same.. best of luck man.

H

happy b

I agree with will76.put your keeper into a wee bit of a bigger pot and switch your lights back to 24/0 for two three weeks and you,l hav a pleant that grows shoots from all directions.but if you dont want to do that cuttings can be taken and rooted successfully from a plant anytime before the senesence point.(when the plant stops growing at end of flower)

william76

william76

I normally harvest the plant down to the small stuff at the bottom,4~6 branches left and put it back in veg feeding it the same feed as before flip,its like the plant remembers,and it doesn't take too long either,then you can clone the new branches,superthrive helps too,76

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Great advice ^^^^Cloning is just one of those skills that comes with time and practice IMO. I used to have a lot of problems too. But now cloning is just kinda automatic and I never really have any issues. Best bet is to get some good rooting cubes or rapid rooters and a good cloning gel or powder. Mix up a quarter or a third strength veg nutrient mix, because you can feed clones a little stronger than you can feed seedlings because the clones came off of a plant that was used to being fed. So if you're having problems with yellowing clones most likely you're just not feeding enough. I've also found that using a cloning heating pad and placing my clones into rapid rooters and then directly into solo cups of soil ,7 to 10 days in the clone dome, keeping 1/4inch of nute solution in the bottom, and they're done. Best of luck!
Peace

Quagmire

Quagmire

We got ya all confused yet.. looks like ShroomKing uses similar methods as I and many others do.. I've tried all the expensive cloning gels, powders etc. I actually had the best luck using the $10 Dip-n-Grow solution and a bottle lasts years...lol. But the best advice I can give you on cloning other then what SK said about it just takes practice is: When you find something that works for you, DO IT.. Because everybody has different little techniques and the important thing is to find what your comfortable with and if it's successful.. don't let anyone talk you into changing it.. I wasted years doing this and ruined many a plant.. if it works, don't fix it... Oh, thanks to William76 for reminding me it's called Air Layering.. Remember, take that last cut THROUGH the node region bro.. trust me on this.. later

canadaseed

canadaseed

wow thanks for all the info guys... @william76 please share that technique with me.. i have a plant rigght now that would be great to reveg.. my last reveg got stem rot and i couldnt save the plant@Quagmire appreciate all your help man.. I ended up getting Stim-root and a dome.. the only thing is i dont think i can get the temps to above 70-74. I have more cuttings to do toorrow so far tho i took 2 ISS and 2 from my PK. The Lavender grew male parts so she's gone.. with the whole pollination thing that occured in the room i have no idea if my whole plant will be seeded of if it's 10%-%50 seeded. I suppose if i get these to root that dosen't matter. I'm really hoping... i have 2 more ISS cuttings to make so might try the air layering technique or a better root hormone. Thx again for the info guys.

william76

william76

Ok,for a quick reveg,cut the top off leavin the bottom q\third of the plant untouched{u can take any smokable buds off} feed exactly what you did the last day of veg with,add superthrive,put it on 18 hours,not 24(takes longer,with not as good results I found)doesnt take long,2\3 weeks,then clone the new branches,i can usually clone after a months reveg,good luck,76

Top Bottom