Need advice on deciding if it's time for harvest

• Thread starter gfvante
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gfvante

Hey all, currently through my second grow and I still feel like I don't really know the best time to harvest my plant. I have researched extensively about the several methods to determined that but I just can't really tell trichomes apart yet (milk vs glass ones). I took a few pictures bellow and would appreciate any tips. Sorry about picture quality, I can take a few more if necessary.

Need advice on deciding if its time for harvest
Need advice on deciding if its time for harvest 2
Need advice on deciding if its time for harvest 3
Need advice on deciding if its time for harvest 4

Last edited:
G

gfvante

Some more details: This is a hydroponics grow, DWC to be specific. Nitro haze strain. Around 6-7th week of flower after 4 weeks of veg under 240W led. Another pic bellow
IMG 0302

Last edited:
Jeffdaman

Jeffdaman

Getting close tricombs are the way to tell for sure. I got a friend that simply waits for all the white hairs are gone. I have a couple magnifying glasses I use jeweler loop I think there called. I like when I start seeing look like a dirty rock in the head of the tricomb

D

damo1107

Yeah it's also still got some white pistils. I'm not familiar with this strain but a haze generally has a longish flower time. 6-7 week of a 9-10. 2-3 week left. Time to order a jewellers loupe. Amazon have em. About £5-10/$10.

Google pics to familiarise yourself with what trichomes look like. You will see the difference between clear, cloudy and amber when you look through a loupe. Aim for 20% amber 75% cloudy and no more than 5% clear

BryanOconner

BryanOconner

Wait to you see about 10 percent brown alien eggs mixed with the milky ones . Then you know its 100 % done. 10 % brown will make your smoke also relaxing . Its well worth the wait . 2 to 3 weeks more After you spot just a few brown you need to check them daily

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
There are differing ideas about when to harvest. Most are valid, because different levels of ripeness have different effects. We prefer riper weed, so we let ours go and extra week or two. Other folks like to harvest sooner.

Using a jeweler's loupe to check the ratios of clear, cloudy and amber trichomes on the buds is probably the best method, but it's not the only method. When there are no clear trichomes, I start thinking about harvesting. Then, I mostly look at the senescence of the plant, which includes the pistils and the leaves. I harvest when the plant is showing "fall colors" and the pistils are mostly golden brown. That provides a mellow experience that we like.

Zenthanol

Zenthanol

I vote for the micro view. . . really the only way to determine percentage of amber trichs, which for smoking buds I aim for 15% amber, and for rosin press shoot for something closer to 40-50%

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I vote for the micro view. . . really the only way to determine percentage of amber trichs, which for smoking buds I aim for 15% amber, and for rosin press shoot for something closer to 40-50%
Just chopped 10 minutes ago 😂 here’s about what I look for in trich development personally

2023 12 10 21 25 28 643
G

gfvante

Thanks all for the tips, greatly appreciated. I just noticed there are some parts of the plant with amber trichomes. Something weird for me, though, it's that white hairs are still growing (possible to see the little "pockets" opening up in the pics with lots of white hair) which makes me thing the buds are still not done growing (?). Anyway, I'll give it one or two extra weeks as suggested and start flushing

T

Tyrant

Just chopped 10 minutes ago 😂 here’s about what I look for in trich development personally
That looks per
Thanks all for the tips, greatly appreciated. I just noticed there are some parts of the plant with amber trichomes. Something weird for me, though, it's that white hairs are still growing (possible to see the little "pockets" opening up in the pics with lots of white hair) which makes me thing the buds are still not done growing (?). Anyway, I'll give it one or two extra weeks as suggested and start flushing
When checking your trichomes look about halfway down the plant and not on the sugar leafs. Just a tip I use.

BryanOconner

BryanOconner

When you say start flushing . You open a debate to flush or not . Point is when you flush just water your plants normal with out nutrients . Never soak the crap out of them. And great point you see a bit of amber but still white hairs . Well the plant is still growing so some what i call alien eggs are matured but the new growth it is not matured .
Best thing a grower can do is only check the alien eggs once you see most of the hairs change colors or trichomes will trick even a skilled grower .
I seen a worker scope them out took pics of them sent them to me . I gave the ok to harvest 50 plants . I got back to the warehouse and wtf ? Why did you harvest ? Boss you said they were ready ! My fault after that pics of the buds and trichomes

Top Bottom