Need Advice On Miticide

• Thread starter getgoodgenes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

getgoodgenes

Hello have been gardening many years but never found a good miticide. Have tried azatrol, green clean and smite. Just looking to get rid of them what has worked for you?

Hackerman

Hackerman

I am a 'no pesticides' kind of guy but one thing I have heard over and over when fighting mites is that you need to rotate products. The mites build an almost instant resistance so rotating from one pesticide to the next is highly recommended. And, repeat spraying is also an absolute. they breed so fast and most poisons don't kill the eggs. So, repeat spraying is required.

I am fighting mites right now and I am experimenting with fighting them with sound, UV and IR light, ozone, CO2, smoke, and as a last resort, I am going to try non-stop rap music. LOL

So far, ozone looks like the winner for effective and complete eradication of mites. Be very careful with ozone. It is deadly to humans (and your dog) just like it is the mites.

G

getgoodgenes

I am a 'no pesticides' kind of guy but one thing I have heard over and over when fighting mites is that you need to rotate products. The mites build an almost instant resistance so rotating from one pesticide to the next is highly recommended. And, repeat spraying is also an absolute. they breed so fast and most poisons don't kill the eggs. So, repeat spraying is required.

I am fighting mites right now and I am experimenting with fighting them with sound, UV and IR light, ozone, CO2, smoke, and as a last resort, I am going to try non-stop rap music. LOL

So far, ozone looks like the winner for effective and complete eradication of mites. Be very careful with ozone. It is deadly to humans (and your dog) just like it is the mites.

I'm with you on the no pesticides. Have experimented dumping tanks of co2, neem oil, vacuuming with a sock over the end on a low powered vacuum. These fuckers are relentless but I will look into ozone. How do you recommend using?

Hackerman

Hackerman

Very carefully. LOL

I have a simple ozone generator (under $100). If I put it in the room and turn it on full, I can't even breath.

I need to find a sensor so I can measure it. When I do, I'll report what level was successful in killing the mites.

Ozone kills everything. Hospitals use it to sterilize and clean. Read up and be very careful.

G

getgoodgenes

do not trust avid or floramite. reading up on ozone and it seems like the best method. if you get ahold of that meter and figure a good way to calculate sq footage to mg per hr it would be much appreciated. til then the vacuum method.

DGP

DGP

Sulfur spray in veg for sure. Do that and when your in flower you wont see them. Burn sulfur in a burner in the flower room to sanitize it before moving the plants into flower. Sulfur after their in bloom is not ok though, then I use green cleaner or plant therapy (something with plant oils and non toxic and organic certified).

Sulfur also helps prevent mold and mildew. I use a cheap hand sprayer indoors and an atomizer outdoors. If the plants are huge indoor and I am worried about coverage I use the atomizer as well but only if the plants are huge. I typically prune or defoliate some before spraying if there are mites but usually if I do maintenance sprays of sulfur I don't get the mites, thrips or russetts. Sulfur is a very safe material to use on cannabis and it kills by breaking down the exoskeletons of soft bodied bugs......therefore they cannot get resistant to it.

Dee

G

getgoodgenes

Sulfur spray in veg for sure. Do that and when your in flower you wont see them. Burn sulfur in a burner in the flower room to sanitize it before moving the plants into flower. Sulfur after their in bloom is not ok though, then I use green cleaner or plant therapy (something with plant oils and non toxic and organic certified).

Sulfur also helps prevent mold and mildew. I use a cheap hand sprayer indoors and an atomizer outdoors. If the plants are huge indoor and I am worried about coverage I use the atomizer as well but only if the plants are huge. I typically prune or defoliate some before spraying if there are mites but usually if I do maintenance sprays of sulfur I don't get the mites, thrips or russetts. Sulfur is a very safe material to use on cannabis and it kills by breaking down the exoskeletons of soft bodied bugs......therefore they cannot get resistant to it.

Dee

Interesting will start looking into that too. When you say burn sulfur could you give me an example because I have no experience or knoweledge relating to this.

eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

Hello have been gardening many years but never found a good miticide. Have tried azatrol, green clean and smite. Just looking to get rid of them what has worked for you?

None of them are good. More popular ones like Avid and Forbid definitely kill mites but I personally would steer clear of them.

People say there safe if used properly but what most people don’t consider is how long the residue actually stays around. The half life guidelines given by the manufacturer are based on UV rays from the sun breaking them down. That doesn’t happen under artificial lighting so lots of people in the industry are seeing residual pesticides hang around for a very long time.
I don’t know about you but I don’t want any of that shit lingering in my flowers.

DGP

DGP

They make little metal sulfur burners. Amazon even has them. You buy sulfur pellets for the burners. They are good for fumigating a room before adding plants. Sulfur powder can also be bought on amazon and it is just mixed with water in a hand sprayer or atomizer. 3 tablespoons to the gallon usually.

Dee

rootexcess

rootexcess

Aside from what others have said, I just wanted to mention for the anti-pesiticide folks, there are plenty of biological pesticides available that I consider for part of my "natures approach" for IPM. Things like Botanigard, Grandevo, Met52, Ancora, etc. These are not chemical pesticides that all can do a great job with pests. Granted I include other products as well, but I'm very selective and we don't spray once flower initiation begins, from there we rely on beneficial predators to do the work.

Top Bottom