Need advice on time of Harvest

• Thread starter greenthumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenthumb

greenthumb

One of my four girls, the Blue Dream seems ready to harvest at the beginning of week 6 of bloom! Most of the trichomes are now amber! This is surprising, since everyone says you need at least 8-10 weeks bud time even for hybrids or indicas.
Two other of my sativas also have some amber, but not as many.
(I have four different plants/strains in my grow tent. The only real hybrid/indica one seems to be the Blue Dream, it grows bushy and spreads out, does not stretch like the other three (Sour Diesel, J-1, and Trainwreck to a lesser degree —also seems like a hybrid.)
All the buds look and smell wonderful.

I'm thinking of harvesting the big top buds of the Blue Dream soon and maybe letting the lower small buds mature a while longer, even though they have some amber too.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this unusual early maturation, thanks,

You can see my grow journal with pix here:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...ous-indoor-grow-with-pix-and-questions.63482/

greenthumb

greenthumb

Yes, it was labelled as such when I bought the clones from this excellent reputable local dispensary (they were all very clean). It doesn't stretch at all, but grows short and spready.
Do you know any strain that looks ready to harvest in 5-6 weeks of bloom? (!)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Does it really matter whether or not it's a real BD? Besides, the BDs I've seen have a decidedly hybrid appearance, not 'definitely' Afghani (aka Indica) and not 'definitely' Sativa.
One of my four girls, the Blue Dream seems ready to harvest at the beginning of week 6 of bloom! Most of the trichomes are now amber! This is surprising, since everyone says you need at least 8-10 weeks bud time even for hybrids or indicas.
Two other of my sativas also have some amber, but not as many.
(I have four different plants/strains in my grow tent. The only real hybrid/indica one seems to be the Blue Dream, it grows bushy and spreads out, does not stretch like the other three (Sour Diesel, J-1, and Trainwreck to a lesser degree —also seems like a hybrid.)
All the buds look and smell wonderful.

I'm thinking of harvesting the big top buds of the Blue Dream soon and maybe letting the lower small buds mature a while longer, even though they have some amber too.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this unusual early maturation, thanks,

You can see my grow journal with pix here:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...ous-indoor-grow-with-pix-and-questions.63482/
Don't rely solely on trichomes for harvesting. That's my first bit of advice.

Second, you can absolutely stagger the harvest. It doesn't necessarily lead to better yields, but I'm getting the impression you're not after yield so much as the particular qualities of each strain. To that end, learn the other metrics by which to gauge doneness.

1: Pistils. Is she throwing out tons of new pistils, or is she just popping a few whities here and there, mostly at the tops of the buds, with an overall red appearance? If still popping out a lot of new pistils, she may have a little longer to go just yet.​

2: Buds. Are they still growing noticeably, or does it seem they've stopped growing? If still growing noticeably, the plant has more time left to go.

3: Appearance. Now, this may be a less reliable metric for you depending on how you feed. Many folks continue pushing N long into flower, possibly all the way through, depending on their fertilizing regimen, and that can throw things off (for me). Generally though, if the plant acquires what I'll call an autumnal appearance, especially once the major fan leaves begin yellowing, then you know you're fairly near the finish line.

4: Water/fertilizer consumption. If it's still taking in a lot of water, it's still transpiring actively, which would suggest it's still growing actively. If it's still 'eating' as it was during the earlier phases of flower, then again, likely still has some time. If it seems to have stopped drinking and eating, as some put it, then it's likely done.
Now, add these other metrics to trichomes and you'll know when your girls are done and how you want to handle them. :)

BeenBurned

BeenBurned

Does it really matter whether or not it's a real BD? Besides, the BDs I've seen have a decidedly hybrid appearance, not 'definitely' Afghani (aka Indica) and not 'definitely' Sativa.

Second, you can absolutely stagger the harvest. It doesn't necessarily lead to better yields, but I'm getting the impression you're not after yield so much as the particular qualities of each strain. To that end, learn the other metrics by which to gauge doneness.

1: Pistils. Is she throwing out tons of new pistils, or is she just popping a few whities here and there, mostly at the tops of the buds, with an overall red appearance? If still popping out a lot of new pistils, she may have a little longer to go just yet.​

2: Buds. Are they still growing noticeably, or does it seem they've stopped growing? If still growing noticeably, the plant has more time left to go.

3: Appearance. Now, this may be a less reliable metric for you depending on how you feed. Many folks continue pushing N long into flower, possibly all the way through, depending on their fertilizing regimen, and that can throw things off (for me). Generally though, if the plant acquires what I'll call an autumnal appearance, especially once the major fan leaves begin yellowing, then you know you're fairly near the finish line.

4: Water/fertilizer consumption. If it's still taking in a lot of water, it's still transpiring actively, which would suggest it's still growing actively. If it's still 'eating' as it was during the earlier phases of flower, then again, likely still has some time. If it seems to have stopped drinking and eating, as some put it, then it's likely done.
Now, add these other metrics to trichomes and you'll know when your girls are done and how you want to handle them. :)

^^^^That could not have been put better^^^^

greenthumb

greenthumb

Thanks so much Seamaiden for your thorough response. The answer to #1. is that it's not throwing out tons of pistils, but then I am using only CFL's (7 cfl's +4 T-12 tubes for four plants). As to the buds (#2) I am not noticing a lot of growth at this point, just that the buds are turning amber.
This is my first serious indoor grow (I grew outside once a long time ago, but that's a whole different thing...), so I am really just relying on vague feelings or intuition, other than what I've read, and all the great advice on this forum.

I had a feeling that this blue dream might have some auto-flowering genes because some white flowers started happening way back toward the end of the vege stage which was long (60 days).
As to #3. Unlike the other ladies, this one doesn't have a lot of yellow fan leaves, only a couple so far. The fan leaves are generally dark green. I do give them all a bit of N, because the Bat Guano I use is solely P (0-10-0), and seems so have no N, and I was getting a lot of yellow leaves, so I mix in a bit of my GrowMore Vegetarian fert. (5-2-2) now so that the chemistry doesn't get too out of whack. I also put in a little (1 tsp.) of molasses in the mix. I only use a tsp. per 64 oz. of each. Hope it's not too much. I wanted to use only organic fertilizers.

And as to #4. I don't know what you mean by stopping to drink. When the soil feels dry (every 3-4 days), I water them all at the same time; I don't know what they do if they didn't want to drink?

You are right as far as me wanting to know the different strains.... I wouldn't mind a good yield... (but this girl here is a sucker for variety!)

I kinda think I should wait now.......

Bluedream 1
Bluedream 2
Bluedream 3
Bluedream 4
greenthumb

greenthumb

I looked at the pic but you should put up some more of the blue dream alone.in the one I saw she looks kinda hungry.but if she got pollinated by a male or even herm she might show amber early and finish early as well . could have some auto genes in her also.but natual T showed some good pics of bd to use as reference. I would try to get some better pics up if you can.gl

I just uploaded a few more pix of just the blue dream in my response to Seamaiden, please take a look on this page.
What do you mean she looks hungry? I have been feeding them, maybe because I use only cfl's ...?

It definitely does not look herm, or pollinated, I only have 4 female plants here, and none of them look hermed. But this one might have some auto genes, yes, I've thought of that.
(I also looked at BD pix on google and they look like my BD, they fan out not up.)
Thank you!

Last edited:
BeenBurned

BeenBurned

Hello...wish I could help ya, just not positive. I would up the feed a bit. How long have they been in flower..did I miss that?
I do know how to answer your #4Q...
I water with the "pot lift" way of checking dryness. When they r in heavy flower they eat n drink like pigs. Pots light every am...then, one morn (usually around day 52-55 for my ladies) the pots get heavy. It is not a gradual stopping (again, for MY plants) it is like they almost quit drinking...takes 3-4 days to dry soil. That is when I start scoping the trichs every day.
Sorry I'm not much help but Good luck GT, there is serious knowledge creepin' around here:cool:

BeenBurned

BeenBurned

I just uploaded a few more pix of just the blue dream in my response to Seamaiden, please take a look on this page.
What do you mean she looks hungry? I have been feeding them, maybe because I use only cfl's ...?

It definitely does not look herm, or pollinated, I only have 4 female plants here, and none of them look hermed. But this one might have some auto genes, yes, I've thought of that.
(I also looked at BD pix on google and they look like my BD, they fan out not up.)
Thank you!

Sirry, missed this. My SV ballast went out a while ago and I finished the run under cfl and I had that limp lettuce look on some too. I dont now if the plant metabolizes diff under flouro or what. Read up on lighting and nutrients.
I kno, still no help lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks so much Seamaiden for your thorough response. The answer to #1. is that it's not throwing out tons of pistils, but then I am using only CFL's (7 cfl's +4 T-12 tubes for four plants). As to the buds (#2) I am not noticing a lot of growth at this point, just that the buds are turning amber.
This is my first serious indoor grow (I grew outside once a long time ago, but that's a whole different thing...), so I am really just relying on vague feelings or intuition, other than what I've read, and all the great advice on this forum.
Great, sounds like she's nearing the finish line, then.
I had a feeling that this blue dream might have some auto-flowering genes because some white flowers started happening way back toward the end of the vege stage which was long (60 days).
But, you're working with a clone, which means you're working with a plant that is already sexually mature. That means that it's going to "want" to flower. Get it root bound, it's gonna want to flower. Shift the photoperiod, it's gonna want to flower. Drop N and push P/K, it very well may want to flower. By forcing them back into veg we're actually fighting the plant's 'instincts.'
As to #3. Unlike the other ladies, this one doesn't have a lot of yellow fan leaves, only a couple so far. The fan leaves are generally dark green. I do give them all a bit of N, because the Bat Guano I use is solely P (0-10-0), and seems so have no N, and I was getting a lot of yellow leaves, so I mix in a bit of my GrowMore Vegetarian fert. (5-2-2) now so that the chemistry doesn't get too out of whack. I also put in a little (1 tsp.) of molasses in the mix. I only use a tsp. per 64 oz. of each. Hope it's not too much. I wanted to use only organic fertilizers.
I haven't yet used that fertilizer, but I've really liked the other (generally) organic fertilizers I've used from the Growmore folks. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that. You'll learn that you can drop pushing N with many strains by about wks4-5, depending. And to reiterate, this is also a personal taste thing. I'm like @WalterWhiteFire -- I absolutely love blonde buds. It's what I grew up smoking as some of the best, one-hit shit around. That and Thai sticks, but nobody likes growing those wispy Sativas. In any event..!
And as to #4. I don't know what you mean by stopping to drink. When the soil feels dry (every 3-4 days), I water them all at the same time; I don't know what they do if they didn't want to drink?
You'll see one day when you go to give them their regular that the media is still too wet. That's an indication that transpiration has slowed or stopped. Transpiration is essentially the plant's circulation system, and it's "controlled" (influenced? Yeah, influenced) by the relationship between temps and humidity.
You are right as far as me wanting to know the different strains.... I wouldn't mind a good yield... (but this girl here is a sucker for variety!)

I kinda think I should wait now.......
There's nothing wrong with waiting and watching, especially with a strain like Blue Dream. This one is known for causing paranoia if it's taken too quickly.

In the meantime, the plant(s) in question look ok, but they do look slightly burned by N :o and hot. The way the leaves are canoed under can be an indication that the plant is trying to slow down transpiration. However, it can also occur when they're overfed... N.

greenthumb

greenthumb

Hello...wish I could help ya, just not positive. I would up the feed a bit. How long have they been in flower..did I miss that?
I do know how to answer your #4Q...
I water with the "pot lift" way of checking dryness. When they r in heavy flower they eat n drink like pigs. Pots light every am...then, one morn (usually around day 52-55 for my ladies) the pots get heavy. It is not a gradual stopping (again, for MY plants) it is like they almost quit drinking...takes 3-4 days to dry soil. That is when I start scoping the trichs every day.
Sorry I'm not much help but Good luck GT, there is serious knowledge creepin' around here:cool:

You do help, thanks.
Yes, I lift the pot every couple days, and they still need water every few days, but the J-1 seems to need water before anyone els. I'll check some more and pay attention to this.

greenthumb

greenthumb

Great, sounds like she's nearing the finish line, then.

But, you're working with a clone, which means you're working with a plant that is already sexually mature. That means that it's going to "want" to flower. Get it root bound, it's gonna want to flower. Shift the photoperiod, it's gonna want to flower. Drop N and push P/K, it very well may want to flower. By forcing them back into veg we're actually fighting the plant's 'instincts.'

That makes sense! thanks, will do.

<<I haven't yet used that fertilizer, but I've really liked the other (generally) organic fertilizers I've used from the Growmore folks. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that. You'll learn that you can drop pushing N with many strains by about wks4-5, depending. And to reiterate, this is also a personal taste thing. I'm like @WalterWhiteFire -- I absolutely love blonde buds. It's what I grew up smoking as some of the best, one-hit shit around. That and Thai sticks, but nobody likes growing those wispy Sativas. In any event..!

I love Sativas though....and since I tie the dominant branches down with strings to give the other ones a chance to catch up, they're not growing vertically at least not anymore. They do stretch a bit, but I don't see that as a problem.

You'll see one day when you go to give them their regular that the media is still too wet. That's an indication that transpiration has slowed or stopped. Transpiration is essentially the plant's circulation system, and it's "controlled" (influenced? Yeah, influenced) by the relationship between temps and humidity.

I see about the wetness test now....I'll watch for that :)
Their room is very dry because the fans are going 24/7. The temps average 80F. They do look somewhat windblown and dry, but at this point I don't think a humidifier would be advised? (I do have one).

<<There's nothing wrong with waiting and watching, especially with a strain like Blue Dream. This one is known for causing paranoia if it's taken too quickly.

In the meantime, the plant(s) in question look ok, but they do look slightly burned by N :eek: and hot. The way the leaves are canoed under can be an indication that the plant is trying to slow down transpiration. However, it can also occur when they're overfed... N.

So I will stop the 5-2-2 entirely. The only reason I started doing that was because my bat guano is 0-10-0 , so where to get the K? I notice a lot of yellowing on the Sour Diesel now, it looks slightly stressed. I also tend to pick the yellow leaves off, is that good?

Anyway, thank you so much for your wise advice Seamaiden, do appreciate it greatly :))

greenthumb

greenthumb

Seamaiden, I don't know how to reply to differnt segments like you did, so I put my replies in Bold, hope you can see it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can see it. If you're growing truly Sativa-dominant ladies, they will absolutely appreciate more humidity, go ahead and set it up if you're able.

K is fairly easy, I like kelp meal most often for giving my girls K, but whatever you can find I'm sure will work just fine. However, my experience with Satties is that you really do generally have to feed more lightly, often less than half what an Afghani-dom might demand.

Nothing wrong with pulling leaves that the plant is done using, either. I like to do it so I don't have to mess around with trimming them later.

I hope I've answered your questions well. :)

greenthumb

greenthumb

I can see it. If you're growing truly Sativa-dominant ladies, they will absolutely appreciate more humidity, go ahead and set it up if you're able.

K is fairly easy, I like kelp meal most often for giving my girls K, but whatever you can find I'm sure will work just fine. However, my experience with Satties is that you really do generally have to feed more lightly, often less than half what an Afghani-dom might demand.

Nothing wrong with pulling leaves that the plant is done using, either. I like to do it so I don't have to mess around with trimming them later.

I hope I've answered your questions well. :)

Yes, thank you!
I'll sit tight for awhile, now I can see that none of them are ready for harvest! Glad to know that trichomes are not the only thing to consider.
Really do appreciate your feedback, and the others too.

Top Bottom