Need advise on first time clonning

• Thread starter Itsme7576
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Itsme7576

Itsme7576

So I don't know what I got going, thbeen 8 days and leaves are still green and growing but still no roots. I'm I wasting my time or can they still take.

TSD

TSD

So I don't know what I got going, thbeen 8 days and leaves are still green and growing but still no roots. I'm I wasting my time or can they still take.
If they're growing they must have roots of some kind... growing or just surviving? Lol

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

I like this better. It’s harder in rock wool and domes. I’ve done both but prefer this. Just got my second one growing today. No dome and only 32w 18” Sunblaster T5HO over each. Literally 99% success rate

0FF1625E A177 44C9 8EA6 EDE2A824CDC7
DankNugz420

DankNugz420

I've got a run of clones in rapid rooters 11 days old and only 1 has roots exposed but they all are still stiff. don't discount em till they fully puke out lol

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I'd clone massive #'s of clones every 4 weeks. Besides trimming, cloning was one of the few things about cannabis cultivating I considered work.
The day ya cut the clone, and put it in the trey, it's normal for them to droop.
I don't, now will use Rapid Rooters again, as they can be a bit acidic to the (hopefully) tender tissue. If ya get a bit of the stem rot, just add a bit of regular peroxide, and that will handle it (even after they root.)
Rockwool is my medium of choice, but it needs to be soaked 24 hours with an air stone, and Ph of 5.4. It will rise. I began using a TINY drop of Roots XL, and it definitely saved mr a few days.
A small 5000k CFL will root a full dome, but try not to keep more than 25 per dome.
Don't spay the plants, spray the domes. Always have a bit of fresh air entering the domes, and make sure the medium isn't wet, as you'll get mold.
When you're out of gel, don't buy gel. Dip n Grow as the most rooting hormones, and a $15 bottle will make 1000's of clones.
Here's where some people may disagree with me. Although I want them stressed enough to sprout roots, i not only cut my clones tiny compared to most (more room, less risk of disease), 3 nodes, and lraves cut. Anyway, at the time they root, I want the clones growing, accustom to regular air. No down time, and no signs of stress when put in their medium.
I also want to see some new growth. Veg for 2-3 weeks, and zap em.
Here's a pic of how a clone should look when ready for it's new home. If running more than one flower room, take the 1st 2 that root, and keep them as the next mother plants.
Sounds like you got some good genetics. That was the last time I used Rapid Rooters. Only because I had em laying around.
That second pic is how it started eating at the base. Like I said, a little peroxide, and she was fine in no time.
There seems to be confusion on what 3 nodes are. That's 3 notes. All leaves were cut when put in. When rooted, it already had new growth..
These were stragglers. The last to root. Trash
20180110 183956

20180110 183956
20180519 160025

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I like this better. It’s harder in rock wool and domes. I’ve done both but prefer this. Just got my second one growing today. No dome and only 32w 18” Sunblaster T5HO over each. Literally 99% success rate
Healthy gals, but ya might wanna give em a trim. In that type of sys it doesn't matter much tho.
I disagree about domes, and rockwool tho. I've done side by side for over a year. Rockwool, and domes were most successful/healthy

Bbonez

Bbonez

I cloned for the 1st time 3 weeks ago, 50 cuts in rockwool & 8 cuts directly in coco in solo cup. Last week I moved the rockwool cubes into solo cups with coco and today everything went into 1 gallon pots. 51 of the 58 made it 7 out of 8 of the ones directly into coco made it.

20210409 102700

SmartSelect 20210413 155314 Gallery

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

Hey everyone, this is my first time cloning and need a little advice and direction. I cut 17 clones two from a birthday cake clone and 15 from a gorilla glue x zkittles cross. I cut at 45 on stem soaked pods in ph'd water and used clone x on each clone before putting in pods in clone dome. The thing I am not sure about is 4 or 5 of them are kind of flopped over the side of the pod but the tips of the plant are facing up toward the light is this normal or are they dying? Also I have just been spaying ph'd water morning and night should I be using anything in the water as I spay it been 2 days now since I cut and placed in clone dome.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
My advice is to cut your clones put it some where outa the way and don't bother them for at least 2 weeks check for roots . I usually get 100℅ success rate on my clones. I also use dip n grow I find it to be alot better than clonex . Good luck gromie

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

And if you add heat to that formula without fresh air .......yikes
Heating pad good , but you need air exchange and don't get spray on the leaves , they are not functioning in a healthy grow mode when you are cloning , and the weight and dampness will cause rot and undue stress to the clone
It will also quickly cause damping off. Clone gone then.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Great thread! Shows different methods work and likely different methods needed for different environments.

I am in no rush with clones. I just cut them and stick them in a glass of water and wait. 100% have developed root bumps or little roots in 1-3 weeks and then planted into a cup of potting soil about 9 out of 10 have grown new leaves about a week to 10 days later.

maybe I should step up my cloning game?

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Great thread! Shows different methods work and likely different methods needed for different environments.

I am in no rush with clones. I just cut them and stick them in a glass of water and wait. 100% have developed root bumps or little roots in 1-3 weeks and then planted into a cup of potting soil about 9 out of 10 have grown new leaves about a week to 10 days later.

maybe I should step up my cloning game?
If there's no rush, ordeadline, why stress. It's easier to keep it simple

dire wolf

dire wolf

I'd clone massive #'s of clones every 4 weeks. Besides trimming, cloning was one of the few things about cannabis cultivating I considered work.
The day ya cut the clone, and put it in the trey, it's normal for them to droop.
I don't, now will use Rapid Rooters again, as they can be a bit acidic to the (hopefully) tender tissue. If ya get a bit of the stem rot, just add a bit of regular peroxide, and that will handle it (even after they root.)
Rockwool is my medium of choice, but it needs to be soaked 24 hours with an air stone, and Ph of 5.4. It will rise. I began using a TINY drop of Roots XL, and it definitely saved mr a few days.
A small 5000k CFL will root a full dome, but try not to keep more than 25 per dome.
Don't spay the plants, spray the domes. Always have a bit of fresh air entering the domes, and make sure the medium isn't wet, as you'll get mold.
When you're out of gel, don't buy gel. Dip n Grow as the most rooting hormones, and a $15 bottle will make 1000's of clones.
Here's where some people may disagree with me. Although I want them stressed enough to sprout roots, i not only cut my clones tiny compared to most (more room, less risk of disease), 3 nodes, and lraves cut. Anyway, at the time they root, I want the clones growing, accustom to regular air. No down time, and no signs of stress when put in their medium.
I also want to see some new growth. Veg for 2-3 weeks, and zap em.
Here's a pic of how a clone should look when ready for it's new home. If running more than one flower room, take the 1st 2 that root, and keep them as the next mother plants.
Sounds like you got some good genetics. That was the last time I used Rapid Rooters. Only because I had em laying around.
That second pic is how it started eating at the base. Like I said, a little peroxide, and she was fine in no time.
There seems to be confusion on what 3 nodes are. That's 3 notes. All leaves were cut when put in. When rooted, it already had new growth..
These were stragglers. The last to root. TrashView attachment 1113340
View attachment 1113340View attachment 1113341
That's very solid advice , don't spray the plants ! Spray the dome , and just a fine mist at that , also introduce air frequently like tasty said ......

And be really patient , can take up to two weeks in most cases ....
Also take healthy cuts from healthy plants , if your plant has issues , those problems are going straight into your clones

Also , surgical sharp cuts with minimal brushing is going to go a long way towards fast root growth

dire wolf

dire wolf

Not wasting time , give them time , 8 days is nothing ......

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Not wasting time , give them time , 8 days is nothing ......
Ive heard 10 to 14. Or longer sometimes!

First time is usually the most difficult. I cloned tomatoes and it was a bitch. Ends would soften and rot...fuck...i had a indian pepper plant that was very difficult to clone. It took 3 to 4 Weeks!. She was woody! Im sure that had a major effect on why

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey , I've let them sit for 20 days on some occasions and as little as 5 days on others ...
Sometimes the minute details of temp humidity etc just act on the plants ability to root and super long waits can occur , if the plant is stable and not rotting , hell. I've seen them sit for a month before they pop roots , then continue on to grow perfectly healthy plants .....
Not ideal , but if you need that clone , I'd give it all the time it takes ,
If you don't need it , of course , chuck it and start fresh

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

The quickest I've ever had was 4 days, and that shattered my record.
I've seen the original WiFi go 3 weeks
I'd always make 2x's what I needed, so I was in the 100's. By 14 days I think I always had enough, so the rest were gifts, or tossed. If only doing 20, or less, as long as they're still standing, they'll root, but like everyone says, be patient. Do not start ripping away rockwool to look for roots (yeah, I'm guilty).
A good healthy cutting will be green, playable, and in many cases hollow. Hollow, and brittle/purple is no good. When the centers of clones, or plants are hollow, it's a great sign of health. Nutrients travel freely in the plant.
Oh, rule of thumb...for me anyway. Feed the mother 1/2 hour before taking cuttings. It will stop air pockets from forming in the plant. The nutes travel that fast. I'll also feed with bloom nutes before I take the cuts.
Real good info here! Some nice roots by Bb

Itsme7576

Itsme7576

I guess I need to stop watching YouTube how tons that show 100% success rate in 3 days, 5 days, 7 days. Lpl

dire wolf

dire wolf

Yea
I guess I need to stop watching YouTube how tons that show 100% success rate in 3 days, 5 days, 7 days. Lpl
, it's doable under ideal conditions , perfect mother health , perfect temperature , many plants just clone easy , many don't , it can't be assumed that there's going to be a 3 or 4 day sucess
So many variables , all I know is I set myself for 8 to 12 days as a rule and I usually succeed 100 % if I pay attention and take care .....
Some experience helps , there are lots of obstacles , even though many on YouTube will tell you it's easy ....sometime it is , sometimes it ain't .....
After over 25 years of cloning , I threw out an entire tray of around 80 clones , they just would not grow , and they died ...still have no idea why
Well I have some idea ...weak mothers

Kootenay.kid

Kootenay.kid

Hey everyone, this is my first time cloning and need a little advice and direction. I cut 17 clones two from a birthday cake clone and 15 from a gorilla glue x zkittles cross. I cut at 45 on stem soaked pods in ph'd water and used clone x on each clone before putting in pods in clone dome. The thing I am not sure about is 4 or 5 of them are kind of flopped over the side of the pod but the tips of the plant are facing up toward the light is this normal or are they dying? Also I have just been spaying ph'd water morning and night should I be using anything in the water as I spay it been 2 days now since I cut and placed in clone dome.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

shut off the lights for the first day of so let them relax most folks think you need to jam them under lights asap but think if someone cut off one of your appendages would you want to be under a bright light? Plants use light to grow of course but in thsat process they loose moisture via the leaves but clones have no roots to replace it thats why you need high humidity in the clone chamber if they have no light they sleep give them a day or so to rest not ad stress on top of stress then go with the light schedule you desire.

cloning is not hard people make it hard by trying to nurse them to much you should be able to have 100% success every time without any fancy stuff a bottle of cheap stim root and water

Latest posts

Top Bottom