Need advise, seedlings not starting!

• Thread starter Rickcin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rickcin

Rickcin

I had some peat pods that were several months old and used them to plant some purple haze seeds. The pods were dry so I soaked them briefly and planted the seeds on Tuesday at noon. Today is Friday and there is no sign of sprouting, whatsoever! They are in a domed grow enclosure and Ive been misting them.

Do I wait a few more days or just replant some other seeds in fresh Jiffy pellets and try that? please advise!

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Soak in distilled/ro water 24hrs, until they crack open. Then place in paper towels soaked in ro/distilled water. Place between two Plates, one inch taproot in 3 days from start. Place taproot in growing medium with the shell bairly visible...

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

I had some peat pods that were several months old and used them to plant some purple haze seeds. The pods were dry so I soaked them briefly and planted the seeds on Tuesday at noon. Today is Friday and there is no sign of sprouting, whatsoever! They are in a domed grow enclosure and Ive been misting them.

Do I wait a few more days or just replant some other seeds in fresh Jiffy pellets and try that? please advise!
My advice is never ever plant a seed in jiffy pots. Germinate in paper towels and plant in solo cups.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I toss them in a big glass of water. And i put the glass on the cable box. They sprout quick.
Hahaha cable box ftw. I used to use mine also. Soaked mine for 16 hrs then into 4 paper towels folded over ( enoght to wet but never see a shiny spot or reflection) and put it between 2 plates facing eachother and a washcloth on the cable box with the plates on top.

Found direct contact just a touch warm.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Have to be careful with full on peat. If it's not moist enough it will actual draw moisture from the plants/roots that are planted in it.

I typically do what @Aqua Man does except I put the paper towel on a Ziploc bag and then on top of my light (while lit) in my tent or in a window sill in the warmer months.

My current plant was put into a peat pellet and then into the forever pot/soil after it had rooted in the paper towel. Took three days to break the soil surface.

Ponky

Ponky

I take the spout out of the water with a spoon. Pour it into a small cup of packed promix tail down in a small little hole I make. Lightly cover. If the seed pod doesn't fall off I remove it. Take about a week total to have a seedling started in a Solo cup.

Rickcin

Rickcin

My advice is never ever plant a seed in jiffy pots. Germinate in paper towels and plant in solo cups.
Hahaha cable box ftw. I used to use mine also. Soaked mine for 16 hrs then into 4 paper towels folded over ( enoght to wet but never see a shiny spot or reflection) and put it between 2 plates facing eachother and a washcloth on the cable box with the plates on top.

Found direct contact just a touch warm.
They’ve been in the pellets for 3 days as of today with no signs of life. How long should I wait before trying again with new seeds? Sunday will be day 5.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
They’ve been in the pellets for 3 days as of today with no signs of life. How long should I wait before trying again with new seeds? Sunday will be day 5.
How deep were the seeds planted? Figure they may take 3 days or so to root and another 3 to break the surface. I'd give em a few more days myself.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Make sure you aren't keeping them too moist.
Spraying them too frequently and keeping them in a humidity dome can cause the seedlings to fail.

I've had a few seeds that never popped out of the soil and it was because the medium was too wet.

Words of wisdom! It's always better when nicely "Moist" if you don't like the word "Moist", keep it "Damp"...Lol 😂

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Will do, I thought I was helping to maintain high humidity and heat thinking that’s what was needed, but according to Aqua Man, I guess they don’t like being hot.
Yeah, mid-high 70°F is ideal. My tent gets up to the mid 80s at times. I need to work on that but thankfully it hasn't been a problem just yet.

growsince79

growsince79

Will do, I thought I was helping to maintain high humidity and heat thinking that’s what was needed, but according to Aqua Man, I guess they don’t like being hot.
They don't like too hot or too cool. And they hate jiffy pots. Get rid of the heating pad and keep the air temp at 80f. Germinate in paper towels. Most seeds pop in 2-3 days. Then place into solo cup of ffof soil or something similar. Cover solo cup with baggie. Within 48 hrs the seedling will break ground. Then lose the baggie and just plain water every 2-3 days at first and increasing to everyday at 10-14 days.

Top Bottom