Need assistance running extra breaker/wire/outlet

• Thread starter Cashmeh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anthem

Anthem

That will work fine, double pole 20 amp, 2 circuits, shared neutral, common ground.

make sure both poles trip at the same time. You have a multi- wire branch circuit. Peace
As a journeymen maybe you can help me understand something. I am pretty aware of the basic house panel rather it be 100 amp or 200 amp. Any I am aware of how a ground neutral and hot legs work. My stupid question is pulling to a 220 volt plug. My understanding is this consists of a leg from the two 120 volt legs coming into the panel for the pole. Neutral returns back to the panel and ultimately goes into the ground. Why is a ground pulled to the box the receptacle is in? why is the there no need to ground the receptacle like with a 120 volt receptacle?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

As a journeymen maybe you can help me understand something. I am pretty aware of the basic house panel rather it be 100 amp or 200 amp. Any I am aware of how a ground neutral and hot legs work. My stupid question is pulling to a 220 volt plug. My understanding is this consists of a leg from the two 120 volt legs coming into the panel for the pole. Neutral returns back to the panel and ultimately goes into the ground. Why is a ground pulled to the box the receptacle is in? why is the there no need to ground the receptacle like with a 120 volt receptacle?

I still cant comprehend it lol. .

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

This is not buy house or large theater. This is my small garage. I am replacing the outside meter and inside panel while upgrading to 200amps. I will be doing it all myself. Yet will have an electrician friend come by and double check before i call to have it turned on.

Just wanted to give a shout out to all that encouraged me to do it myself.

I also want to upgrade the amps since im replacing it all. 200amps should be enough.

20220504 143449 HDR
20220504 131325
Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

As a journeyman maybe you can help me understand something. I am pretty aware of the basic house panel rather it be 100 amp or 200 amp. Any I am aware of how a ground neutral and hot legs work. My stupid question is pulling to a 220 volt plug. My understanding is this consists of a leg from the two 120 volt legs coming into the panel for the pole. Neutral returns back to the panel and ultimately goes into the ground. Why is a ground pulled to the box the receptacle is in? why is the there no need to ground the receptacle like with a 120 volt receptacle?
Cashmeh, please tell me that is not your work!!!!!! (in the pix)
I do not see any connectors for any of the wires entering this panel.!!!
That meter base, and the panel, will work fine. Inside a barn in Illinois. With cover on and closed.
Just be safe brother. Peace

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Both should be grounded. I'm not 100% on your question but all metal boxes with conductors in them need grounding, all grounds should be bonded as 1 ground to the panel. & ground rod/rods. A wire from the receptacle to the box is necessary to ground the receptacle.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I just bought a large commercial building with multiple breaker panels, bad wiring that's unhooked, and branded new wiring ran. They spliced into old lines with new lines. It's a strait cobbled mess. Combine that with my house wiring issues...

Well it will cost me over 30g to get all my electrical work done if I pay someone else. If I do it all myself it will prolly cost me 1 grand in parts as I have all the tools already.

I can run 120 fine. I can branch off of 220 and aquire 120. I understand max loads and how to calculate amps. I do not understand series/parallel, dual breaker wiring.

I have powered my house with 2 generators by plugging them strait into the wall outlets with my main off.

Like I said, I won't be paying anyone, I'm a quick learner.. I just dont know what to buy and run.

Seems like I should run 10g 4 wire dual 20amp breaker. With 4 20amp dual outlets. I would just have to study the wiring a bit before I did it.

Thats technically 40 amps available if I wire it correctly right?

@LexLuthor what do u think? What wiring technique do I need to use and study.. Series.. Parallel.. 220 conversion? Like everything I search brings up dryer wiring lol
The current in the series has only one path,paralel branches off ,old xmas lights used to be series and if 1 bulb went out it stops the current
I would like to run the entire 4x8 off one breaker if possible. I will be adding it to the left pole on my breaker. I know just enough about electricity get my myself killed atm. I had a buddy tell me what to do, hes an electrician. Yet hes busy and im not trying to give him all my details anyways or have him come over and check it out if ya know what I mean. Anyways. . I have 2 - 1000w HIDS, 1 window unit, 1 magnet air pump, one water pump and 2-8 inch fans, one inlet and out outlet. I dont have to have fans inside the tent, there will be plenty of air circulation and im scrogging and having long vegs.

My buddy told me just for the lights and window unit to run 10awg and a 30amp breaker. I only need like 25 ft of the cable, yet lowes has so many choices. Hes working so i figured id type it all out here. Im going to run the line under the floor and up to the room. Half of the wall outlets in that room do not work and I dont know why. There was a house fire a few years ago and im pretty sure something is still capped off, plus when i bought the place half of this bedroom being used didnt have working outlets. . .and half of the attached bathrooms outlets and ceiling fan have no power.
The 2x4 grow room is currently on the SE 15 amp breaker. When i add all this to it. . lol it tripss both grow rooms. I want both systems on separate breakers just encase one system fails im dont lose everything.

My panel has a slot on the left available, ill throw the main outside, and the main inside, take the front panel off, Install the Breaker from any lowes that you all tell me to buy, and then ill run the wire under the floor, because attic has no access(modular), pull it to the room and mount it up high away from my hydro system lol. .

If i didnt have 240 this would be easier for me, meaning i get it all if its one wire and 120v, i can calculate the amps, and understand how a single breaker works. yet when the breakers are linked together and theres 4 wires, or just one 3 strand wire linking them. . idk, i just want it to be simple for me. I dont want to be wiring up something I dont understand.

So how would I do this with one wire and one outlet, possible 2 outlets if needed. Im seeing i can use a 4 cable cord, a dual breaker, run it how though. .as 240 lol? idk what series or parallel is yet. . I just know positive, negative, ground, amps, watts, volts :\ help?. . please help??? I only need 25ft of cord, what should i get at lowes thats the cheapest? Im poor always.
The current in the series has only one path,paralel branches off ,old xmas lights used to be series and if 1 bulb went out it stops the current,most homes 120v are 20 amp breakers,you can get delay breakers. If your thinking of running 2- 1k off one using 120 v don't do it. 220 has 2 hots. I use 120 and I ran a seperate for each lamp and allows me to run fans,pump etc , use ohms law to see what your draw is and leave a buffer. I also ran seperate foor air con

Last edited:
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I ran the yellow wire. I have a main outside. Ill post a pic of my box later and where I put it. Shit works great. 40 amps split between 2 outlets. . 4 total sockets max 10 amps each. 2 strands of 12/2, 2 20amp outlets, one dual outlet box, one dual 20amp breaker.

Those main wires were a bitch to move for the breaker install. Its the lower left one.

I had my main off outside.and inside except for these pics.

20220908 131657
20220908 164239 HDR
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I do most of my own wiring. I just wired a hot water heater that uses 220 volts and new kitchen outlets on a 20 amp circuit. My grow room has a 60 amp subpanel, but I didn't wire it. It seems to me that a subpanel may be your best solution, but two 20 amp circuits should work as well and would be less complicated & costly. Basically, the latter option is simply two dedicated circuits.

Something I didn't see mentioned is that the purpose of breakers is to protect the house wiring--not the devices plugged into outlets. Remember also that wiring must be protected, which usually means it's inside walls or conduit. All junctions must be serviceable.

I also didn't see any mention of GFCI/AFCI protection. You might want to think about it. In my recent kitchen wiring, I used a combination circuit interrupter that does both.

Are you running two 20 amp circuits? If so, are they powered from the same side (leg) of the panel? Those dual breakers use both legs to get to 220 volts, so if you're using each panel leg in side-by-side receptacle circuits, you could have a problem. I recommend using two single breakers on the same leg.

Adding more receptacles (sockets) is safer and more efficient than using extension cords.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I do most of my own wiring. I just wired a hot water heater that uses 220 volts and new kitchen outlets on a 20 amp circuit. My grow room has a 60 amp subpanel, but I didn't wire it. It seems to me that a subpanel may be your best solution, but two 20 amp circuits should work as well and would be less complicated & costly. Basically, the latter option is simply two dedicated circuits.

Something I didn't see mentioned is that the purpose of breakers is to protect the house wiring--not the devices plugged into outlets. Remember also that wiring must be protected, which usually means it's inside walls or conduit. All junctions must be serviceable.

I also didn't see any mention of GFCI/AFCI protection. You might want to think about it. In my recent kitchen wiring, I used a combination circuit interrupter that does both.

Are you running two 20 amp circuits? If so, are they powered from the same side (leg) of the panel? Those dual breakers use both legs to get to 220 volts, so if you're using each panel leg in side-by-side receptacle circuits, you could have a problem. I recommend using two single breakers on the same leg.

Adding more receptacles (sockets) is safer and more efficient than using extension cords.
Thank you for the info. I will at least separate them in their own individual boxes for now. Didnt realize I was that close to making 220. You would think it would have read that over the last year. Makes total sense though. I have no plans on wiring 220 using 2 wire instead of 3 wire also.

I cant think of a reason someone would connect them and not know they are making 220 though. I ran them to only one outlet due to my experience level.

I bought a new 100amp panel to replace that other one in my shed thats all rusted. I wanted to do this breaker add on before I even tried that. Until I understand how to wires 220 off a 2 strand using common grounds or neutrals. . i wont due to wasting wire. I am having issues understanding the difference between a shared neutral and shared ground. Guys at work confuse me and tell me I dont even need a ground.. That the neutral does the same thing. That i basically use ground to save me. . so thats my gfci lol. . and if i want to save the device ill need a outlet that can trip out. . Idk. . im getting a little more familiar. Dont know wtf an ohm is yet lol. . that will be a fun day when I can comprehend that.

Anyways thanks bud for helping

Latest posts

Top Bottom