Need criticism and advice on my UC setup please

• Thread starter Darwin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Darwin

I'm almost finished building my room. It is 12x12x8. Any advice on what I have chosen to use would be greatly appreciated.

UC Evo XL13 9 site $1,687
4 GAVITA Pro 1000 DE 540 ea.
CAP CGC-1e Controller 299
CAP REG-1 CO2 Regulator 89
Active Aqua Water Chiller 1/4 HP 370
Vortex 10 inch 790 CFM Inline Fan 200
MOUNTAIN AIR 10x30 750 CFM 285
Powerbox DPC-7500-240V 285
Mitsubishi Mr. Slim 1.5 ton mini split 890

hiboy

hiboy

Ur chiller might be a hair small, its gona work overtime for that setup imo.
Most use 1/2 hp bro,, lets see what some maja UC playas say
h

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Hummmm

I have CAP equipment and being using it for 7 years and no problems. Make sure your Carbon filter is not in the same room as your Co2 as you should be running temps at 85 to 90 and that's about where they stop working. Make sure you have a back flow on your air line or put your pump above the water line. If the pump stops water will flow back and out the punp if lower than the water level.

I agree 1/2 hp chiller would be a better investment.

You need a couple fans for the floor
you need a trimeter Ph/PPM/temp

your Co2 generator will give off heat also

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

I'm with woodsman, I have found that CAP products are the farthest thing from Crap. The sentinal stuff just looks thrown together to me.

My CAP XGC-1 is the absolute total bomb!! :)

D

Darwin

Thank you for the replies everybody. I only have a few more months before I get started. I got my solar panels in today. Combined with the wind generator I will be able to sustain 35KW. Finally starting to get excited about this project.

P

phup

CAP is not the best stuff out there, but it does work reasonably well. However, their powerbox is a piece of crap. Mainly because they are overload their circuits - 4 ballasts running off of one 20A breaker is 84% usage load, which is 4% more then code allows for. Not to say you will burn your house down if you use one of these, but if you do, your insurance company will not cover wiring that is not code.

G

GeneticFreak

Looks good except for the cap stuff. I wouldn't go as far as to say its crap but my ppm 3 went bananas and stayed on all day and emptied a couple tanks twice. I have had better experience with Titan but to each his own. As far as your chiller size 1/4 is fine. I use a active aqua 1/4 for my evo 15 site and it works perfect. Temps stay withing 2 degrees of what I set it at. The only catch is that insulating your buckets is crucial for that kind of effeciency.

G

Greenpassion6

Woodsmaneh, why not have the carbon filter in the same room? If the growroom is sealed for Co2 then the Carbon Filter is scrubbing the room, not only for smell but also for any airborn particles that may contaminate the room. Please explain why would a Carbon filter be in another room? thanks

GP6

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Thank you for the replies everybody. I only have a few more months before I get started. I got my solar panels in today. Combined with the wind generator I will be able to sustain 35KW. Finally starting to get excited about this project.

Hey Darwin, I am excited to see this room get built and start running.

I do a bit of PV and wind turbine work. I am wondering how big of a solar array you are going to have?

Not too important but I dont want your expectations to be too far sighted as far as what PV and wind gens will do. To be able to sustain 35Kw, you would need quite a large array. Maybe you are going to have that, I don't know. I built a huge residential array- 62Kw(Over an acre of land for the array) and the most it will "sustain"(during sun-up) is 30,000 watts. Roughly, it provides 12000Kwh/ month. It cost the guy $320,000.

Anyway best of luck,
PB

D

Darwin

Hi PB. I have 50 240-watt 60-cell modules. 12,000 watts. The PV-USA Test Ratings, which are closer to real world conditions, say 10,905. Astronergy guarantees their panels to produce 90% of its rated power for the first 10 years, and greater than 80% for the remaining 15 years. They will compensate you for any additional efficiency losses, should they occur. Maybe you can chime in here. I’m new to solar and would like to hear what you have to say about their claims. Also, like my wind generator, this is a grid tie system. I understand conditions will affect performance.

I recently upgraded my wind turbine to the Enertech E 13 40kw turbine. My house is a little over 2,000sf and for 11 years I was using a 30kw turbine on a 100ft tower. My yearly average electric bill was around $10-15 a month.

Damn! $320,000 for 62kw? My system costs around $28,000 wholesale uninstalled. I worked out a trade with the owner of a solar company. I drilled a water well for him. That well would have cost about $35,000. I have about $10,000 in labor and materials on my end. I got a great deal…I think.

D

Darwin

I forgot to mention that the solar panels will be situated on .9 of an acre approximately 100 feet from the house. What kind of loss (if any) can I expect from a 100ft run? Also the panels will be able to track the sun to maximize efficiency. Is this really worth the $$ to track the sun? How much will it help? Thanks for any advice.

Top Bottom