Need Help…Am I Overwatering???

• Thread starter MikeyStreezak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MikeyStreezak

MikeyStreezak

So, I am completely new to organics and especially soil. Been in coco for the last two years. Right now I am in Great Lakes Water Only Super soil, top dressed with worm castings and recharge once a week. Feeding about 60ml of water and pots feel like they need water daily. Is it time for me to transplant?? Am I over watering? Am I underwatering?

Need helpam i overwatering
Need helpam i overwatering 2
MikeyStreezak

MikeyStreezak

I honestly have no idea😂😂 I guess I should stop?? I’m used to growing in coco where watering every day is a thing. But really it’s because I feel like the soil is just sitting dry.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If the only plants you've grown are houseplants, you need to relearn watering habits. Houseplants are used as houseplants because they have the ability to live in both wet and dry soils, because people tend to either over water them (as you are doing to your Cannabis plants) or neglect them for weeks.

Cannabis and other agricultural crops don't have the ability to thrive under those conditions. Cannabis roots need oxygen just as much as they need water. Water and air share the same space in your media -- the spaces between soil/media particles. If those pore spaces are filled with water, they have very little oxygen. If they are filled with air, they have very little water.

The plants can handle the soil pores being filled with water for a day or two, but not longer than that. After that, your roots will die and rot. If you water daily, you are killing plant roots, and you will either kill the plant or it will grow like shit and produce very little.

When the soil is dry, water it until all the soil in the pot is wet. Then don't water again until it is nearly dry. Use the weight of the pot to determine how dry or wet.

Non-soil media requires different treatment

See this excellent watering primer: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/w...-size-shape-and-environment-affect-it.126852/

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Is it time for me to transplant?
I'd recommend transplanting soon. Get them more healthy first, though, so they won't be too stressed when you transplant.

I look for roots coming out the bottom of the pot. If you see roots coming out, then there will be a lot more in the pot. I also look at the size of the leaves. If they're spreading past the edges of the pot, then that's another indicator that it's time to transplant.

MikeyStreezak

MikeyStreezak

I'd recommend transplanting soon. Get them more healthy first, though, so they won't be too stressed when you transplant.

I look for roots coming out the bottom of the pot. If you see roots coming out, then there will be a lot more in the pot. I also look at the size of the leaves. If they're spreading past the edges of the pot, then that's another indicator that it's time to transplant
If the only plants you've grown are houseplants, you need to relearn watering habits. Houseplants are used as houseplants because they have the ability to live in both wet and dry soils, because people tend to either over water them (as you are doing to your Cannabis plants) or neglect them for weeks.

Cannabis and other agricultural crops don't have the ability to thrive under those conditions. Cannabis roots need oxygen just as much as they need water. Water and air share the same space in your media -- the spaces between soil/media particles. If those pore spaces are filled with water, they have very little oxygen. If they are filled with air, they have very little water.

The plants can handle the soil pores being filled with water for a day or two, but not longer than that. After that, your roots will die and rot. If you water daily, you are killing plant roots, and you will either kill the plant or it will grow like shit and produce very little.

When the soil is dry, water it until all the soil in the pot is wet. Then don't water again until it is nearly dry. Use the weight of the pot to determine how dry or wet.

Non-soil media requires different treatment

See this excellent watering primer: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/w...-size-shape-and-environment-affect-it.126852/
here is the issue I’m having here. My pots were dry. I could dig up the top of the soil with my finger and it was visibly dry along with feeling the same. I’m watering at a very low amount, the pot size is a quart and I am water in like 2 ounces. Now with that being said should I be adding more water?? I don’t think the soil has ever been comply moist, especially because when I first started watering it was so hydrophobic. Never had this problem in Coco before. Don’t want to give up and go back but I can’t really figure out what I’m doing wrong.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Water to run off and don’t water again until the pot is light, then repeat.

MikeyStreezak

MikeyStreezak

little bounce back photo...watered last night with Quillaja extract and Recharge. This is how they looked when I woke up this morning. I also picked off the dying fan leaves from the bottom of the plants. Thank you for y'alls help 🙌🙌 hopefully will be transplanting into 3 gallon pots in the next few days.
IMG 3409

Latest posts

Top Bottom