Need help / Advice (RSO / FECO)

• Thread starter MT_Smoke420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

Good Afternoon Everyone -

I have had a good bit of shake, trim, and small old buds that I want to try to make a good bit of gummies with.

I kind've jumped the gun and started experimenting before I read up and had enough knowledge so bare with me. I filled a 5 gal bucket full of the dry shake and trim about 3/4 full. (Did not decarb the material first) and covered with grain alcohol that i had in the freezer overnight.

I stirred the alcohol and trim for about 10 minutes then strained into a jar then from there strained through a coffee filter.

I tried using an insta pot on rice setting to slowly cook off the alcohol (took about 4 hours and was starting to look good but i freaked myself out thinking about it not being decarbed, according to my infrared temp gun the temp never broke into the 200's in Fahrenheit. I then tried to put on electric cook top to raise heat up but think i burnt / ruined the oil.

Now i am left with about 3 mason jars full of the strained tincture. What would you guys / gals suggest to do with it. Can i try the rice cooker method again and try it without decarbing? Should i cook it off on an electric cook top? Or is my tincture already kind've ruined from the jump?

Thanks in advance!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Good Afternoon Everyone -

I have had a good bit of shake, trim, and small old buds that I want to try to make a good bit of gummies with.

I kind've jumped the gun and started experimenting before I read up and had enough knowledge so bare with me. I filled a 5 gal bucket full of the dry shake and trim about 3/4 full. (Did not decarb the material first) and covered with grain alcohol that i had in the freezer overnight.

I stirred the alcohol and trim for about 10 minutes then strained into a jar then from there strained through a coffee filter.

I tried using an insta pot on rice setting to slowly cook off the alcohol (took about 4 hours and was starting to look good but i freaked myself out thinking about it not being decarbed, according to my infrared temp gun the temp never broke into the 200's in Fahrenheit. I then tried to put on electric cook top to raise heat up but think i burnt / ruined the oil.

Now i am left with about 3 mason jars full of the strained tincture. What would you guys / gals suggest to do with it. Can i try the rice cooker method again and try it without decarbing? Should i cook it off on an electric cook top? Or is my tincture already kind've ruined from the jump?

Thanks in advance!
pictures?
how long was the mix together before filtering?
stove top what setting? how long? what was the oil doing?

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

pictures?
how long was the mix together before filtering?
stove top what setting? how long? what was the oil doing?
Right now I only have just jars of tincture but can upload pictures of that here shortly.

The mix was together for about 10 minutes while i was stirring then maybe an extra 30 minutes to an hour or so as i squeeze strained all of the material out.

The electric cook top was on low heat when i tried just a cup of tincture. It started to simmer and i continued to pull on an off the heat to not let get too hot, maybe 20 minutes or so? but then seemed the oil was almost burning to the sauce pan. I am going to retry reducing the alcohol this method though if you think the tincture could still be worth something.

I also have a picture or two of the oil while it was cooking in the insta pot, it turned a milky color but then as it got closer to the bottom started to turn dark again. (actually almost looked perfect besides a few bubbles and a litttttttle bit of multi color that i was assuming was still the alcohol. Wish i didnt freak out and try to put in oven / back on top of cooktop).

Likely going to try the insta pot method again tomorrow since it seemed like it could potentially work, but if it were to work out, could i then decarb the oil after it is finished?

Overall i just want to make decent quality gummies from my trim the easiest way possible and not have a poor taste so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Observationist

Observationist

Hey gnick what you think about dropping a gram of shatter into some honey and warming it up to activate it ?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok it’s kinda hard to tell what’s really going on, though i hear ya concern is it worth it still? probably yes..
why don’t you freeze a gram of it and when frozen swallow it and see what happens during the evening..
a 1 ml silicone container works perfect
1 ml is the same as 1 gm oil.. so on..

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

ok it’s kinda hard to tell what’s really going on, though i hear ya concern is it worth it still? probably yes..
why don’t you freeze a gram of it and when frozen swallow it and see what happens during the evening..
a 1 ml silicone container works perfect
1 ml is the same as 1 gm oil.. so on..
Okay, so i ended up trying to just put tincture straight into the insta pot. (About 1/4 full on 'rice' setting). It was cooking fine (infrared thermometor reading around 150-180 throughout, mostly on the lower side). Then as it thinned out it cooked extremely fast and i was left with about 4-5 grams of the final product. (To me it didn't look quite like it did on the videos i was watching and the consistency was kind've chunky, like a couple globs of oil while some was still runny.

Anyways, i used the 4 grams to make gummies (yielded about 70 gummies), ate two last night and felt great. So maybe i did it correctly just need to tweak slightly.

Maybe the oil was finished in that second picture and i cooked too long thereafter to try to get a thicker consistancy when i shouldve just pulled it off and let it cool?

The last pic was my final product.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Okay, so i ended up trying to just put tincture straight into the insta pot. (About 1/4 full on 'rice' setting). It was cooking fine (infrared thermometor reading around 150-180 throughout, mostly on the lower side). Then as it thinned out it cooked extremely fast and i was left with about 4-5 grams of the final product. (To me it didn't look quite like it did on the videos i was watching and the consistency was kind've chunky, like a couple globs of oil while some was still runny.

Anyways, i used the 4 grams to make gummies (yielded about 70 gummies), ate two last night and felt great. So maybe i did it correctly just need to tweak slightly.

Maybe the oil was finished in that second picture and i cooked too long thereafter to try to get a thicker consistancy when i shouldve just pulled it off and let it cool?

The last pic was my final product.

View attachment 1209039

View attachment 1209040

View attachment 1209041
ok, doesn’t seem to bad to me, especially as you basically had to improvise more or less, using grain alcohol and trim and shake that was all broken up for which plant waxes and chlorophyll get absorb by the alcohol much quicker getting into your final product making it more dark and “runny”? probably harsh if smoked..
honestly you just have to fine tune your process which you will anyways as you go forward..
best is to get 99.9% isopropyl and use that..
another tip is when you do the first strain after shaking is to let the contaminate settle for a couple hours, than slowly scoop out and filter through layered cheese cloth into a jar, let settle for a couple hours and than filter into another jar through 3 coffee filters put together, let settle and usually for me after that it’s clean as the eye can see..
the lumpiness etc in your oil is because of letting the mixture sit too long with material probably really broken up allowing waxes etc to escape quickly..
though glad you got success from it, only going to get better now!!

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

ok, doesn’t seem to bad to me, especially as you basically had to improvise more or less, using grain alcohol and trim and shake that was all broken up for which plant waxes and chlorophyll get absorb by the alcohol much quicker getting into your final product making it more dark and “runny”? probably harsh if smoked..
honestly you just have to fine tune your process which you will anyways as you go forward..
best is to get 99.9% isopropyl and use that..
another tip is when you do the first strain after shaking is to let the contaminate settle for a couple hours, than slowly scoop out and filter through layered cheese cloth into a jar, let settle for a couple hours and than filter into another jar through 3 coffee filters put together, let settle and usually for me after that it’s clean as the eye can see..
the lumpiness etc in your oil is because of letting the mixture sit too long with material probably really broken up allowing waxes etc to escape quickly..
though glad you got success from it, only going to get better now!!
Sweet, thanks for the response! Yeah i went ahead and ordered some Isopropyl to try as well. Also freezing some material to see if that helps.

My only question is how it decarbed through this process (or was i just on placebo effects lol) . I'm not exactly sure what temperature the oil got in the instant pot (dont even know what the rice setting is supposed to get to). And then just simmered the jello mix to make the gummies.

Going to run the rest of this tincture i already have strained in the instant pot but then next run I am going to decarb material first unless you think it's unnecessary.

Thanks for all of your input, trail and error.. gotta love it!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Sweet, thanks for the response! Yeah i went ahead and ordered some Isopropyl to try as well. Also freezing some material to see if that helps.

My only question is how it decarbed through this process (or was i just on placebo effects lol) . I'm not exactly sure what temperature the oil got in the instant pot (dont even know what the rice setting is supposed to get to). And then just simmered the jello mix to make the gummies.

Going to run the rest of this tincture i already have strained in the instant pot but then next run I am going to decarb material first unless you think it's unnecessary.

Thanks for all of your input, trail and error.. gotta love it!
the rice cooker decarbs it..

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

ya i never decarb..
my method is more of a QWISO style with cooking off with a rice cooker..
i like a honey/hash oil more so than a weed oil..
Do you mind giving me a quick breakdown of your method? I'm just looking to try any and all ways to see what works best, gain experience with each.

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

the rice cooker decarbs it..
I am in the middle of running another batch on the rice cooker and seems the temp is still right around 170-180 consistently, its only been 15 or so minutes but I'm still not entirely grasping how it decarbs.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I am in the middle of running another batch on the rice cooker and seems the temp is still right around 170-180 consistently, its only been 15 or so minutes but I'm still not entirely grasping how it decarbs.
here easier this way…
C8D8BFD0 E37C 483C A474 6AD56C7637C3

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Do you mind giving me a quick breakdown of your method? I'm just looking to try any and all ways to see what works best, gain experience with each.
oh i’m always posting videos and such when making oil or hashish.,
ok basically i get my weed if buds i’d break up not finely though, if trim etc i’d leave as is, either it’s in mason jars in the freezer for a day overnight along with the isopropyl, even the strainer. when ready fill up jar to about an inch above weed, make sure you put enough in, the weed will soak some up. if the trim i’d shake for 2-2.5 mins (tiring). if buds bits i’d do about 3-4 mins, but i can keep a good shake pace going the whole time.. than pour through strainer ( the finer the better) in your bowl, than i’d leave it to settle for a couple hours, while waiting get another jar or two depending amount and cover with cheese cloth folded like 6/7 times, use an elastic to hold. when ready start to slowly scoop out mix and pour through cloth. when done that let settle again for an hour or so having another jar ready with 3 coffee filters together to pour the mix through, may have to change filters a couple times to finish, i usually find that after this as i’ve let this settle for a few hours and not a speck of dirt on the bottom.. i’m picky and want it clean!
that it’s ready for the rice cooker, i’ve rigged my rice cooker to not automatically shut off by taking out fuse and replacing with wire.
i do my cooking in my sunroom with windows open and a bad weather day or in the middle of the night as the fumes are stinky.. when you start cooking you NEED a fan blowing directly at the rice cooker to outside entire time!!!! NO SMOKING OR ANY KIND OF FIRE!
as it nears the end i’ll tip the cooker some to collect oil in an area and when the bubbling is getting smaller and less is usually when i’ll pour out into small silicone tray/s than on to a coffee warmer to finish off all bubbling until it’s just a smooth surface..
pour into glass viles..
done… basically…

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

FWIW, I use a table top distiller to make my oil that cost about $120 and I can reclaim about 80% of my alcohol to use again. This thing has paid for itself a few times now in savings of alcohol purchases. I still run 3 different fans and there is some smell and fumes, but not nearly like I would imagine using a rice cooker would do. I decarb my oil in the oven at 240F (after boiling off the alcohol) till it stops bubbling and the surface of the oil is smooth and shiny. This decarbs and also makes sure all the alcohol is gone and then I draw the oil into 1ml syringes for dosing in clear veg capsules. It usually takes about 30-35 minutes in the oven.

Mazeblue1

Mazeblue1

I tried this once using everclear and a magnetic stirrer last year sometime and I think I want to do it again without the stirrer this time not ideal.
I’m curious though has anybody used the magic butter machine to make the tincture and then boil off the alcohol?
I’ve been using the mb machine for about 10 years making my canna oil but have never tried the tincture option(I don’t understand why anybody would want to mix their weed with alcohol and take it sublingually) but it seems that an 8 hour tincture would be better?? Tho it’s anyone? @gnick?

MT_Smoke420

MT_Smoke420

I tried this once using everclear and a magnetic stirrer last year sometime and I think I want to do it again without the stirrer this time not ideal.
I’m curious though has anybody used the magic butter machine to make the tincture and then boil off the alcohol?
I’ve been using the mb machine for about 10 years making my canna oil but have never tried the tincture option(I don’t understand why anybody would want to mix their weed with alcohol and take it sublingually) but it seems that an 8 hour tincture would be better?? Tho it’s anyone? @gnick?
I've made tincture with the MB machine but haven't cooked the alcohol off yet - I just recently got a candle warmer that has been a savior in making RSO etc. I'd highly recommend one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom