Need help diagnosing yellowing, droopy plants

• Thread starter Yoda707
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

PAR meters, do you have one you recommend? Anything specific I should know about before buying?

Oh man welcome to the rabbit hole. Do you want to spend $500 or $5? 🤣

I bought a cheapo Dr. Meter LED lux meter. You can get the Photone app. Or you can go balls to the wall and buy an Apogee quantum meter and get truly accurate results.

Do these 5gal plastic pots have drainage holes? You will have different(longer) watering periods due to the fact that plastic pots hold saturation for a lot longer. With this comes the risk of root rot so you really need to get your dry cycles on point.

Last edited:
Y

Yoda707

Looks at the color of the stem it's pretty red, you might have either CA/Mg deficiency.

Also the light color of the leaves sugests plants are a little hungry.

I find with an organic grow that top soil supplementation is where it's at, organic=living soil.

e.g. Soil is micro organism rich in order to breakdown and recycle raw nutrient sources.

I found that best practice is to first for me an organic top dress fertilizer, they are available in veg and flower compositions, then according to the label fertilize once a week turning the top soil when you do.

Keep in my mind that a good organic top dress fertilizer should have low N:P:K ratios, the idea being a slow release via decomposition.

I also found that employing 2 to 3 worms per pot pre plant really accelerates the decomposition process of the fertilizer, they also help aerate the soil and they take care of dead roots.

You could focus on identifying the immediate plant needs and solving that, then try amending you soil with mycorrhizae and add a couple worms.
They definitely have deficiencies but I don’t think it’s due to lack of feeding. They were fed day before transplant with full spectrum food at 50% strength including cal/mag. Also planted with mycorrhiza, and using beneficials pre transplant.
Looks at the color of the stem it's pretty red, you might have either CA/Mg deficiency.

Also the light color of the leaves sugests plants are a little hungry.

I find with an organic grow that top soil supplementation is where it's at, organic=living soil.

e.g. Soil is micro organism rich in order to breakdown and recycle raw nutrient sources.

I found that best practice is to first for me an organic top dress fertilizer, they are available in veg and flower compositions, then according to the label fertilize once a week turning the top soil when you do.

Keep in my mind that a good organic top dress fertilizer should have low N:P:K ratios, the idea being a slow release via decomposition.

I also found that employing 2 to 3 worms per pot pre plant really accelerates the decomposition process of the fertilizer, they also help aerate the soil and they take care of dead roots.

You could focus on identifying the immediate plant needs and solving that, then try amending you soil with mycorrhizae and add a couple worms.
Right on brother And this being if they are healthy which id say is a stretch
I’m sure it’s not very accurate but I downloaded the Photone lu
Oh man welcome to the rabbit hole. Do you want to spend $500 or $5? 🤣

I bought a cheapo Dr. Meter LED lux meter. You can get the Photone app and pay to unlock the LED feature. Or you can go balls to the wall and buy an Apogee quantum meter and get truly accurate results.

Do these 5gal plastic pots have drainage holes? You will have different(longer) watering periods due to the fact that plastic pots hold saturation for a lot longer. With this comes the risk of root rot so you really need to get your dry cycles on point.
yes I downloaded that Photone app for my HPS DE. It’s showing for 700w light lux range from 26000-29000.

Yes pots have drainage holes.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They definitely have deficiencies but I don’t think it’s due to lack of feeding. They were fed day before transplant with full spectrum food at 50% strength including cal/mag. Also planted with mycorrhiza, and using beneficials pre transplant.

yes I downloaded that Photone app for my HPS DE. It’s showing for 700w light lux range from 26000-29000.

Reduce the light alot no matter what the lux is 29k is about the max you will ever need in veg without co2. Its screaming reduce light and then you also need to make other corrections like watering practices which is likely playing a large part

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Looks okay but wouldn't hurt to drop and bit and see if it improves.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Then get a cheap infrared temperature gun to check leaf temps. Cheap on amazon

Lower the light intensity until the top leaves flatten out. Right now the petiole are piint straight up and the leaves are folding like a taco.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You want leaf temps around 75-77f any higher without co2 and tou see this happen. NOT ROOM TEMPS. They are not the same… not even close.

Excess light absorbed by the plants is given off as heat so your leaf temps right now based on plant reaponse and transpiration im sure are over 80f.

Then get your watering and nutrients down

I can promise you 100% if you do not lower the light intensity the plants will die. Unequivocally, indisputably DEAD

42wenty_Blazeit

You want leaf temps around 75-77f any higher without co2 and tou see this happen. NOT ROOM TEMPS. They are not the same… not even close.

Excess light absorbed by the plants is given off as heat so your leaf temps right now based on plant reaponse and transpiration im sure are over 80f.

Then get your watering and nutrients down

I can promise you 100% if you do not lower the light intensity the plants will die. Unequivocally, indisputably DEAD
Hey Aqua, does it matter what room temp you're running if the leaf temps are at 75-77f?
for example would it mess with my plants to run my room at; 86F, 53%RH with 77f leaf temps, (0.92 VPD) and without CO2?
late veg

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey Aqua, does it matter what room temp you're running if the leaf temps are at 75-77f?
for example would it mess with my plants to run my room at; 86F, 53%RH with 77f leaf temps, (0.92 VPD) and without CO2?
late veg
You could run that start to finish. Around 1.0 is a pretty good place, in your case its dam near perfect. A bit lower for younger and a bit higher for late flower would be beneficial.

This explains in more detail

But to answer your question no room temps dont matter near as much as leaf and plant temos that are king. But with that said room temps swings can really effect VPD so while room temps a far less important than plant temps they do need consideration.

Plant temps of 75-77f have been shown time and time again to be the most beneficial for photosynthetic rates so like all things cannabis its a balancing act of trying to reach all ideals but its not necessarily a hard rule

Last edited:
Top Bottom