Need help diagnosing.

• Thread starter HIFTC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HIFTC

I have done as much research as I can, i have narrowed it down to tobacco mosaic virus, or broad mites. If I'm wrong please let me know, this is my first grow and I'm new at this. The water PH is 6.0 and the soil is 5.7. I have not yet introduced nutes to the soil and the plants are just starting their 3rd week of life.

Need help diagnosing
Madbud

Madbud

Most first timers overwater, let the soil dry out til she starts to wilt before the next watering.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

if that is soil,you be better off and better growth feeding a t 6.5 ph,do a slurry test on your soil,take about 1/2 cup of soil and fill a glass with ro or distilled water,give a good stir or shake,let it settle a little bit and then stick your ph pen in the liquid between the floating stuff on top and above the soil in bottom,so let it settle for about 30 min then take your reading,no more guessing what your soil ph is,soil does best with 6.5 to start and all feeds and or water going in is 6.5

H

HIFTC

if that is soil,you be better off and better growth feeding a t 6.5 ph,do a slurry test on your soil,take about 1/2 cup of soil and fill a glass with ro or distilled water,give a good stir or shake,let it settle a little bit and then stick your ph pen in the liquid between the floating stuff on top and above the soil in bottom,so let it settle for about 30 min then take your reading,no more guessing what your soil ph is,soil does best with 6.5 to start and all feeds and or water going in is 6.5

I did test the soil and it was at 5.7. I used the same method you just mentioned but I strained the water through a coffee filter.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I did test the soil and it was at 5.7. I used the same method you just mentioned but I strained the water through a coffee filter.
not sure if the filter will give correct reading,i just put soil in a mason jar,shake and let it sit for a bit,take my pen stick in the water to get ready

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I have only watered the plants once, and I was sure to check that the soil was completely dry 1" - 2" below the surface.
what size pot and what type soil,is it just soil or a mix folks doing these days half coco and soil?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It looks a little small for 3 weeks but not too bad, could be light spectrum or something else maybe slowing it down a little. Are you concerned about the splotchy leaves? If so I've seen that before, it's called leaf variagation. I really dont think its TMV or broad mites.

This is a forbidden zkittlez Ive got that looks similar, only one plant out of 4 seeds has it though, apparently it's quite common in Chemdog D too, or strains crossed with it.
20190926 090026

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

you kinda have but 2 choices,first is use a little woodash depends on size of pot to how much,to raise your ph a little ,wont to do this in small increments,it is same as lime which brings you to a neutral ph of 7,i use ash and do a spoon at a time,checking each addition and stopping at 6.5.
or just use the 6.5 ph all the way threw your grow,feeding 6.5 gives what it needs,and later down road depending on if you over feed and build salt up in the soil the ph will jump up and then you will have to adjust your ph going in to buffer what the soil holds,okay so if this is say ocean forest you want to come up .8 to bring you to a 6.5 soil ph your in a 1 gal pot,so i wood start at 1 tsp of wood ash and scratch it in,right before next watering do a slurry see how much the tsp raised the ph,you dig,5.7 is in the range of coco so if you just got it to rise to 6.0 you will be good in soil,6to7 is soil range,why wide open ,because of salt buildup later down road could go either way if you dig,so next run check soil first,if you have any extra soil that is in that pot,fill a 1gal pot with it and do testing on it instead of messing a plant up if you do,if you get that soil in the 1 gal right ,you could up pot to the soil that the ph is right.
that plant dont look to bad ,you caught it in time and you sure could transplant it in better ph soil this young

Madbud

Madbud

I have only watered the plants once, and I was sure to check that the soil was completely dry 1" - 2" below the surface.
And thats what they say to do, the knuckle test, but her roots are a good 12” deep by now. Your plant, my advice.

H

HIFTC

not sure if the filter will give correct reading,i just put soil in a mason jar,shake and let it sit for a bit,take my pen stick in the water to get ready

Possibly, maybe I'll try again tonight without the filter and ill report back.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm not a soil guy but that ph seems very low for soil and nutrients will continue to bring it down over time. I agree with @oldskol4evr you need to amend that soil or it will be a much bigger problem going forward.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Go by the weight of the pot. I personally dont like the idea of digging fingers into the rootzone disturbing and breaking roots every time you water, and it's not a very accurate indication of moisture deep in the pot.

Get to know how heavy a similar sized pot full of dry soil feels and let it get almost that light. Not quite, but damn near.

Madbud

Madbud

How deep would you say to let it get?
Dirtbag is right, if you weigh the pot or cup of soil first, you establish a reference for when the pot is dry. Most probe style moisture meters go down 8-12”. $20 at lowes for a three-way light, moisture and pH meter.

QuestForZest

QuestForZest

Not broads nor mosiac (I've had both!) Why is there 1 leaf then three leaves (which strain is this?) Seems rather deep in the soil too..where is the stem? Did you bury it? It being so close to the soil, in my opine, runs the risk of stem issues... Maybe give her some breathing room too.

H

HIFTC

I retested my soil without the coffee filter and it read 6.2. So the PH is okay.

20191006 233850
H

HIFTC

Not broads nor mosiac (I've had both!) Why is there 1 leaf then three leaves (which strain is this?) Seems rather deep in the soil too..where is the stem? Did you bury it? It being so close to the soil, in my opine, runs the risk of stem issues... Maybe give her some breathing room too.

The strain is northern lights, the seed is only about a knuckle deep into the soil. What do you mean with breathing room? Separate the pots more?

H

HIFTC

what size pot and what type soil,is it just soil or a mix folks doing these days half coco and soil?

I am currently only using soil, nothing fancy and no half and half mix. The plants are in 5 gallon pots

H

HIFTC

Dirtbag is right, if you weigh the pot or cup of soil first, you establish a reference for when the pot is dry. Most probe style moisture meters go down 8-12”. $20 at lowes for a three-way light, moisture and pH meter.

I purchased on of those three way sensors today to test out in the biggest plant.

Top Bottom