Need Help! Electrical Help!

• Thread starter Lost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lost

So i have a 30a dryer recepticle and I want to get or build something like this but with 120V Recepticles.

Can someone help out?

L

Lost

BTW - I feel confident that I can wire it up if someone knows what they are doing. Seems like a small 30 amp panel, but I have no idea what I would need to build it.

L

Lost

..And another question. When I went to my main electrical panel.. I noticed that the circuit breaker says 50 amp and the receptical is 30 amp, what gives?

t.o.med

t.o.med

lost why would you want it in 120 ? you can run twice the amount of lights at 240. not to be a dick but if you have to ask how to build a panel you should just go buy one. your safety is more important than 200 bucks.c.a.p makes a nice one MLC-4X Light Controller for a 128 bucks all you need to wire in is the dryer plug.

L

Lost

t.o.med, all my ballasts are 120v and im told that how they measure useage 240 and 120 cost the same..

L

Lost

One more question.. If the circut is 50 amp can I use the 40 amp rated MLC-8X with the x-plugs. Then I would have both 240 or 120?

K

kindindy123

small sub panel

ya if you have a 50 amp breaker you should be fine.

just get a small sub pan,rated for50 or more amps,or if you are not sure,take off dryer recep,hook up 4 outlet plugs,about 12amps each will be avail,say 10amps to be safe,put a6-way,surge protector,put all small amp devices on 6-way,you can divide up,make sure to know the amp rate of every device you plug in, good luck kindindy

true grit

true grit

I believe the box T.O. Meds is referring to has an option of 120v outlets but still needs a 240v lead before it splits.

Also look up a gentleman by the name of Olyver on here. DoubleD's posted some pics of his work and its quite impressive. Here's a link:

L

Lost

Well, i went to home depot..
Bought a 70 amp breaker box with a 240/ 30 a circutbreaker. Wired that to the dryer recepticle. Wired the breaker box to the CAP lighting controller. Im set. Very easy, just scarry!!

Ill post up what I did, with pics in another thread..

L

Lost

Everything is upgradeable. The current to my dryer is 50 or 60 amps (well the circut breaker for it is), and its got 3 hot lines in the recepticle. Im using 2 and the ground for my aux breaker box. I can goto a 40 amp system with the change of a circut breaker :)

J

Jalisco Kid

Never look at breakers to see what you can use, look at the wire size feeding your subpanel. Some fool before you might have put a 50a breaker on 14 gu wire. If it was your first install now that the rush is over check your connections. Most problems are caused by loose connections,tape your wire nuts if you used them. JK

J

Jalisco Kid

Pull your feed line back out and strip the insulation. Put some clamps on your sub on you lines coming in and out. If the sub is hanging crooked from hanging of one screw use more.JK

L

Lost

I used romex 10/2 wire. I looked at some chart online and it said to use that. Am i ok? I have the breaker in by 3 screws, my photo skills suck is the issue :)

Tape wire nuts, check!

Thx!

L

Lost

Ahh ok, ill go clamp the sub lines, your right, missed that!

Top Bottom