Need help figuring out what’s wring

• Thread starter TwistedB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TwistedB

TwistedB

Ok so I have been on this forum for several months and new to growing. I have research and research again and read so many different things.
Here’s my problem. The tips of the leaves on my plants are turning yellow with a brownish tint to them. I thought it was a calcium deficiency and slightly increased the Calmag+ when I fed them yesterday morning. When I checked them a couple hours later the yellow was slightly worse. Then this morning it was even worse.
I am growing in Mother Earth Coco-perlite 70-30 and using Canna Coco A+B nutes. I am using well warer that I had tested and it has a ph of 5.7 with 40 ppm tds.
I started with 2 ml calmag per gallon and when I saw the yellowing tips I increased the Calmag to 3ml per gallon. The yellowing continued so after a week I increased the Calmag to 4ml thinking that since my water was at 40 ppm it needed more. Increasing the Calmag has not helped.
My nutes are mixed at 800 ppm since the ppm of my water starts at 40ppm including the Calmag and ph up to 5.8 - 6.0. I check the run off and the ph is within 0.2 of what I feed.
I am running 1000w hps lights and they are about 24 inches away from the tops. The temps are at 75 degrees and I’m running 800 ppm C02 in a sealed room.
My ladies are not looking good at all and I’m trying hard not to kill them and I need help please.

Need help figuring out whats wring
Need help figuring out whats wring 2
Need help figuring out whats wring 3
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok so I have been on this forum for several months and new to growing. I have research and research again and read so many different things.
Here’s my problem. The tips of the leaves on my plants are turning yellow with a brownish tint to them. I thought it was a calcium deficiency and slightly increased the Calmag+ when I fed them yesterday morning. When I checked them a couple hours later the yellow was slightly worse. Then this morning it was even worse.
I am growing in Mother Earth Coco-perlite 70-30 and using Canna Coco A+B nutes. I am using well warer that I had tested and it has a ph of 5.7 with 40 ppm tds.
I started with 2 ml calmag per gallon and when I saw the yellowing tips I increased the Calmag to 3ml per gallon. The yellowing continued so after a week I increased the Calmag to 4ml thinking that since my water was at 40 ppm it needed more. Increasing the Calmag has not helped.
My nutes are mixed at 800 ppm since the ppm of my water starts at 40ppm including the Calmag and ph up to 5.8 - 6.0. I check the run off and the ph is within 0.2 of what I feed.
I am running 1000w hps lights and they are about 24 inches away from the tops. The temps are at 75 degrees and I’m running 800 ppm C02 in a sealed room.
My ladies are not looking good at all and I’m trying hard not to kill them and I need help please.
Hey bud good job on the description. Your ppm in look a bit high for the plant size, what is the ppm out?

No need for cal mag with those nutrients they are designed for coco. Could be a bit of a nutrient imbalance or concentration in the media itself. To much calcium is also not good and can affect other nutrients uptake specifically potassium which help regulate water up take and respiration.

I think a large part of the problem is the light intensity. First thing you should do when having issues is back the light off and make sure humidity is adequate. I would back em off to maybe 32" until you see improvement then start creeping up once the plants recover. Don't want to drive them hard when not healthy.

How often are you watering?
Always with nutrients?
How much runoff?
What size are the pots?
What your humidity at?

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

Howdy; I am an LED person but I used to run a 350 gallon reef tank. 24 inches is a bit close in my opinion. I used to run HPS at 24 over a tank that was 36 in deep and would bleach coral. So I think your plants are not liking their tanning bed. I bet if you check with your mfg you will find a recommended distance to plant number. I will leave it to other Farmers familiar with your light to also quote their experience numbers vs Mfg. "stats".

Happy Growing 🍻 🥂 😎

growsince79

growsince79

If all other environmental needs are met, 2 feet isn't a problem. But I agree with the others. raise the light until the other environmental needs are dialed in.

growsince79

growsince79

Just checked out mother earth Coco peat. It's loaded with all kinds of good organic stuff. You shouldn't have fed anything yet. Your roots are probably damaged and unable to grow due to overfeed and water. The light is too close for a unhealthy plant and is just making things worse.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just checked out mother earth Coco peat. It's loaded with all kinds of good organic stuff. You shouldn't have fed anything yet. Your roots are probably damaged and unable to grow due to overfeed and water. The light is too close for a unhealthy plant and is just making things worse.
I don't think it has nutrients.

growsince79

growsince79

I don't think it has nutrients.
I thought maybe it was like cocoloco. Bat guano and mystery meals can be pretty hot I definently woulndn't add nutes to a seedling in it.

Mother Earth® Coco Peat is a rich blend of ingredients designed to create a desirable plant growth media for those looking for an alternative to traditional bark-based growing medias. Comprised of coco fiber, peat moss, perlite, pumice and 15 other ingredients, this blend will allow growers more frequent feedings and a high degree of control. Blended specifically to balance water-holding and air-filled capacity, this growing media is ideal for fast-growing annuals. Ready to use out of the bag, Mother Earth® Coco Peat contains only the highest-quality coco fiber, peat moss, perlite/pumice, castings, guanos and meals. Mother Earth® Coco Peat is pH adjusted to ensure that growers are receiving the same quality and consistency that they have come to expect from all Mother Earth® products.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I thought maybe it was like cocoloco. Bat guano and mystery meals can be pretty hot I definently woulndn't add nutes to a seedling in it.

Mother Earth® Coco Peat is a rich blend of ingredients designed to create a desirable plant growth media for those looking for an alternative to traditional bark-based growing medias. Comprised of coco fiber, peat moss, perlite, pumice and 15 other ingredients, this blend will allow growers more frequent feedings and a high degree of control. Blended specifically to balance water-holding and air-filled capacity, this growing media is ideal for fast-growing annuals. Ready to use out of the bag, Mother Earth® Coco Peat contains only the highest-quality coco fiber, peat moss, perlite/pumice, castings, guanos and meals. Mother Earth® Coco Peat is pH adjusted to ensure that growers are receiving the same quality and consistency that they have come to expect from all Mother Earth® products.
Yes that's coco peat. This is coco perlite

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Is your light sealed with a fan extracting the Heat or is it an open reflector type?

At 800 ppm your newts are at least double what they should be for a plant that size, and your pH could be a little low if it's a Coco and peat blend

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Is your light sealed with a fan extracting the Heat or is it an open reflector type?

At 800 ppm your newts are at least double what they should be for a plant that size, and your pH could be a little low if it's a Coco and peat blend
I agree.

I think there is some confusion OP said mother earth coco perlite. It's a 70/30 no nutrients added.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

20200706 202959
Screenshot 20200706 203354 Chrome

I am not sure about this but mr. OD over on another thread posted something about a boron deficiency and it reminds me of what's going on here, maybe we can persuade mr. OD to pop in here and take a look at this?? @One drop

TwistedB

TwistedB

Hey bud good job on the description. Your ppm in look a bit high for the plant size, what is the ppm out?

No need for cal mag with those nutrients they are designed for coco. Could be a bit of a nutrient imbalance or concentration in the media itself. To much calcium is also not good and can affect other nutrients uptake specifically potassium which help regulate water up take and respiration.

I think a large part of the problem is the light intensity. First thing you should do when having issues is back the light off and make sure humidity is adequate. I would back em off to maybe 32" until you see improvement then start creeping up once the plants recover. Don't want to drive them hard when not healthy.

How often are you watering?
Always with nutrients?
How much runoff?
What size are the pots?
What your humidity at?

I am having to water every other day taking about 1 1/4 gallons to get 20% run off.
The run off is testing at 820 ppm when feeding 800 ppm.
I am giving nutrients every time I water.
The pots are growpro #5’s which are about 3 1/2-4 gallons.
my humidity runs between 46-60%.

TwistedB

TwistedB

I am running coco/perlite and there are no nutrients in it.

TwistedB

TwistedB

If all other environmental needs are met, 2 feet isn't a problem. But I agree with the others. raise the light until the other environmental needs are dialed in.

Sounds like what I’m going to do. Raise the lights and dial in everything else.

TwistedB

TwistedB

Thanks everyone for the info. I will be moving the lights up and try to dial in everything else.
If anyone has any info on the boron deficiency I would like to know more about it. Several pics I have seen look very similar to what I have going on

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I am having to water every other day taking about 1 1/4 gallons to get 20% run off.
The run off is testing at 820 ppm when feeding 800 ppm.
I am giving nutrients every time I water.
The pots are growpro #5’s which are about 3 1/2-4 gallons.
my humidity runs between 46-60%.
Well there's your problem right there^^^ you're not watering Coco properly you have to water it at least every day some people water it multiple times a day but every other day is not going to cut it

Top Bottom