Need help Germinating 15+ yr old seeds

• Thread starter Lifted1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lifted1

I've got a bunch of old crosses i made that i want to run through. Problem is, its been a long time and i tried starting some batches of 20 and i cant seem to get any to pop.

first i did my go to, seeds in mug of tap water, and put in the same warm dark place. nuthin...left there til they started showing some funk and i tossed them. i then tried again and this time i shook the seeds for a minute plus in a tube of sand paper and then tried again. after 7 days and nuthin i put them in paper towel method and still nothin til mold 10 r so days later.

i tried it again same way except i used hydrogen peroxide, nuthin.

tried again sanded and put in cup o water with some fulvic, nuthin

tried again just paper towel method, nuthin.

Im thinkin of waiting til summer (high temps??) but i'd like to try and get through all these seeds. hoping there may be a few viable!!

Are these seeds just not viable any longer?

does anyone have any methods i should give a go?

i appreciate the suggestions 👍

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

I've got a bunch of old crosses i made that i want to run through. Problem is, its been a long time and i tried starting some batches of 20 and i cant seem to get any to pop.

first i did my go to, seeds in mug of tap water, and put in the same warm dark place. nuthin...left there til they started showing some funk and i tossed them. i then tried again and this time i shook the seeds for a minute plus in a tube of sand paper and then tried again. after 7 days and nuthin i put them in paper towel method and still nothin til mold 10 r so days later.

Put them in a fridge in a black plastic garbage bag and leave in the crisper for a year or 2. They seem to rehydrate and darken up. Not all will pop since old dry, seed is never going to be like years ago. Some will stall after popping, some won't be 100 percent (eg. some extra funny shaped leaves) but it's the best possibility I've found for old seed.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

Im thinkin of waiting til summer (high temps??) but i'd like to try and get through all these seeds. hoping there may be a few viable!!

Are these seeds just not viable any longer?

does anyone have any methods i should give a go?

i appreciate the suggestions 👍
I managed to pop 2/3 cement shoes seeds from 2012, method I used was scarification, as well as slightly sanding the edges of the seed where the 2 halves meet to help them pop easier, then roll up some sandpaper into a tube (grit side in) tape it like a tube and put the seed(s) inside and shake like a madman for 2-3 minutes, after that I use a 20:1 water / peroxide mix seton a warm place and drop the seeds in, I waited 12 hours then direct sowed them and managed to save 2 (one had a helmet head but with some patience and a spray bottle and tweezers I was able to free the cylodons and they took off

Seems like you tried most of these steps, I’ll look around I remember seeing video of a guy showing how to get 50 year old tomato seeds to germ that seemed to work really wel

B

beeern

Damn, that's a struggle. Sometimes age can hit germination rates hard. you've pretty much tried it all. Maybe try a tiny bit of kelp extract in the soak? Some swear by it but if they're super old it might just be a lost cause

Top Bottom