Need Help, Heat Or Nutrient Problem Can't Tell

• Thread starter jinxjj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jinxjj

I recently moved my best plants up into some 6" square pots and the plants in one of the pots keeps dieing on me with the same symptoms. Now the first plant i put into this pot was a little wilted from what i am assuming was under watering, watered it and tried to give it time to bounce back but it got worse so i ripped it out and potted an extra plant i had off to the side in a solo cup.

Couple days later i check on them again and the new plant i had replaced with the old one is now dying the same death. Looks wilted and leaves are burned on the edges, leaves starting to claw up.

I know everyone is going to jump on some sort of nute problem first BUT there are a few possibilities.

1. My heater was blowing directly on that single pot, possibly could have burned the plant or over heated the soil and cased the symptoms?

2. Somehow the soil in that pot is contaminated with some sort of nutes (or lack of). Odd that no other plants are having this problem though because they all got soil from the same brick. I shift my plants around each day so they are not always sitting in the same spot under the light so dont think its a light deficiency...

- Photos are dated.
- Plants are in humbodlt nutrients soil, getting pH'd tap water only so far.
- Under 450watt LED light

Let me know anything else i need to provide for diagnosis.

Thanks!

Need help heat or nutrient problem cant tell
Need help heat or nutrient problem cant tell 2
Need help heat or nutrient problem cant tell 3
Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Confusing. You say you are using soil. But you say is all from the same brick.
My question is are you using coco coir instead of soil?
If so most likely your ph is out of whack.
If the heater is blowing hot air over that plant only, drying out the growing medium. Most likely is the cause of some problems.

J

jinxjj

I bought a large "brick" of the soil instead of the smaller bags, sorry if I wasn't using the correct terminology. It's just a big compressed block of dirt in a bag.

Here is a pic of all the other plants. I just find it odd to be a nute problem or pH if NONE of the other plants which have all gotten the same treatment are showing these signs.

20141225 223209
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I bought a large "brick" of the soil instead of the smaller bags, sorry if I wasn't using the correct terminology. It's just a big compressed block of dirt in a bag.

Here is a pic of all the other plants. I just find it odd to be a nute problem or pH if NONE of the other plants which have all gotten the same treatment are showing these signs.

I think it's important to know what you're actually growing in. Does it say soil on the bag, or does it say media? Smokey's question is important in this respect, because it affects husbandry to a great degree. No one sells dirt. They sell soil, and they sell planting media. ;)

No, learn that this is true in all husbandry of all living organisms. They are not identical, even if they're clones.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Where did you pick up your genetics? To me, it looks like BroadMites. If you take a close up look at the brown dead edges of your fan leaves, if it's moving, you have mites.

sixstring

sixstring

Ok wait a min,#1 heat!!!!
you said in a few threads this plant got all the heat and went to shit .heat made the soil so dry it locked up the nutes most likely. Then I see the water is tap, how long have you been using this water source and what kind of ppm or ec does it have?
if it was mine I would flush with r/o or distilled and ph'd water 3 x the pot size today and again tomorrow even though it will still be soaked tomorrow lol.reset that lil bish and I bet it comes back to life for ya.would not hurt to test runoff during both flushes and give us some numbers ph and ppm or ec.personally I would like to see them right away as water first comes out and again at the end of each flush.
what are your plans for nutes during this run?
sorry if you covered all that but I have been away :)

J

jinxjj

Well.... I ended up saying fuck it and pulled the plant and most of the soil out of that pot to eliminate both possible problems. Transplanted another extra into the pot, there was another one next to the one i replanted that was getting a good amount from the heater as well and didnt look too good so i ripped that one and put in a nicer one as well.

That makes alot of sense the soil drying up causing a nute lock out, i never thought about it that way.

- Straight tap ppm is 62, source is town water which is from a lake or reservoir i believe.
- I pH it down to around 6 with General Hydroponics pH down. (4 drops per gallon to get my water to correct pH)
- I just got a pH meter and have recently learned i had been making my water pH closer to 5 than 6, i have corrected that since last couple waterings.
- Plants have been getting same water their whole life, all the other plants are doing awesome i have been told. They look healthy to me.
- Growing bag seed, indica i was told is "ogre" and was really good smoke. Might have a sativa in there but i dont think so.

I think i am nearing the stage of getting ready to use nutes. It's my first grow so could really use advice on what and when to use it. I have the General Hydro flora series starter pack and a bunch of other stuff i got for free, its all listed in my grow diary. All these plants are about 5 weeks old now i think.

2014 12 27 144707
20141227 142555
20141227 142610
20141227 142617
20141227 142624
20141227 142637 1
sixstring

sixstring

yeah i would say your water sounds good to go at that number so just keep doin your thang and try to get that heater location fixed,maybe try mixing hot air and room/cab air with a small fan so its not baking your plants so much.i like that rh of 52% like to see my room temps at 70f night time 76-78f day time but if it aint broke dont fix it lol.peace

J

jinxjj

I think the heater issue is fixed now, i moved it as far from the plants as i could and aimed it away from hitting any of them directly. I also have an oscillating fan in the path the hot air travels to mix it up. I held my hand by the pots and by the time the air reaches the pots its just warm, not burning hot like when it comes right out of the heater. The fan is also constantly blowing the air across them any how.

I

ilaughlast

when i start seeds its really easy to burn them. they need very little until they start making multiple large fan leaves. your initial pics look like nutrient burned seedlings to me. i think you just had a hot batch of soil. roots will do this so will constant gardeners soil (company that makes nectar of the gods.) . i like an almost completely inert media for seed starting. something like light warrior or something similar you make your self by cutting regular soil with peet and perlight to lower the ec level. mix regular soil in half with equal parts peet and perlite. seeds should also go in a pot ssize no bigger than a pill bottle until they start to wet dry cycle every day on their own. then bump slowly up/ its too easy to over water and over fert them in something as big as a keg cup. i like the 50 cell trays for clone plugs. just fill up 50% with soil and when they get taller than the cell fill all the way up covering the inch or soof exposed seedling stem. then keep them moist not wet until they have enough leaf mass to transpire out the moisture on their own in a days time before you transplant up to a 4 inch and then to a gallon once they can dry the soil in the 4 inch through transpiration inside of one day..

not much nutes needed til they have fans and go light at first but dont let them yellow either. think about starting with a .5 ec feed and move up from there slowly at first to .7 then start working up from there.

M

motz

I'm with @ilaughlast sounds as if the soil is way to hot, these are still young and tender

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think the heater issue is fixed now, i moved it as far from the plants as i could and aimed it away from hitting any of them directly. I also have an oscillating fan in the path the hot air travels to mix it up. I held my hand by the pots and by the time the air reaches the pots its just warm, not burning hot like when it comes right out of the heater. The fan is also constantly blowing the air across them any how.
Didn't you and I talk about the Electric Blanket Sandwich... or was that another member? I don't have these problems using my sandwich.
Well.... I ended up saying fuck it and pulled the plant and most of the soil out of that pot to eliminate both possible problems. Transplanted another extra into the pot, there was another one next to the one i replanted that was getting a good amount from the heater as well and didnt look too good so i ripped that one and put in a nicer one as well.

That makes alot of sense the soil drying up causing a nute lock out, i never thought about it that way.

- Straight tap ppm is 62, source is town water which is from a lake or reservoir i believe.
- I pH it down to around 6 with General Hydroponics pH down. (4 drops per gallon to get my water to correct pH)
- I just got a pH meter and have recently learned i had been making my water pH closer to 5 than 6, i have corrected that since last couple waterings.
- Plants have been getting same water their whole life, all the other plants are doing awesome i have been told. They look healthy to me.
- Growing bag seed, indica i was told is "ogre" and was really good smoke. Might have a sativa in there but i dont think so.

I think i am nearing the stage of getting ready to use nutes. It's my first grow so could really use advice on what and when to use it. I have the General Hydro flora series starter pack and a bunch of other stuff i got for free, its all listed in my grow diary. All these plants are about 5 weeks old now i think.
Ok, IF that Humboldt Nutrients stuff is truly soil, that target pH is a bit on the low side.

You've got some fan-fucking-TASTIC source water. I want to hate you for it, but I cannot, it's not your fault.

In any event, get the feeding/watering pH up, just a wee bit, see what happens. Range for soil I use is 6.2-6.8 (indoors, not outdoors, no pHing of irrigation water for me).

They look pretty damn good to me, too, btw.

J

jinxjj

Didn't you and I talk about the Electric Blanket Sandwich... or was that another member? I don't have these problems using my sandwich.

Ok, IF that Humboldt Nutrients stuff is truly soil, that target pH is a bit on the low side.

You've got some fan-fucking-TASTIC source water. I want to hate you for it, but I cannot, it's not your fault.

In any event, get the feeding/watering pH up, just a wee bit, see what happens. Range for soil I use is 6.2-6.8 (indoors, not outdoors, no pHing of irrigation water for me).

They look pretty damn good to me, too, btw.

That was me with the blanket. I bought one but it sucked and didnt really put out much heat. I then bought a large heat mat and that keeps my bloom room around 75 with lights on so i think I will get another mat to cover the entire floor and do away with heater in veg. They aren't cheap tho and the heater is free and not hurting my electric bill too bad since it only runs every hour or so.

J

jinxjj

So far so good, i have my money on the problem being the heater placement before. They grew like CRAZY last night, starting to get close to 1ft, hope i can cut some clones soon and throw these into flower. Will add pics in bit.

In the meantime... Do you think i can take a clone from where i have marked in this image?

2014 12 28 102058
2014 12 28 105413 copy
sixstring

sixstring

Yes the plants that did not get fried by the heater look very good .
in 1st pic, I would cut on lower mark.thats where I get almost all my clones, from tops.2nd pic is ok as well.

J

jinxjj

Sweet thank you for the help, very nervous cutting them for the first time. I also want to trim off the lower fan leaves right?

I think i am going to top and take a lower branch off 8 of the best ones, that way i will have my 2 clones per plant if all goes according to plan and i can throw them into bloom and free up some space for the next wave.

sixstring

sixstring

Yeah i strip all but the top 2 leaves off my cuts.if you really want 2 cuts per plant you should take 3, the top and 2 lower branches.it will balance your plants and give you more to work with on the clones.once rooted you can pick the best 2 of each pheno and toss the ugly's :)

J

jinxjj

Appreciate the advice, i think ill throw the top in a single collar and then jam 2 of the lower branches into 1 collar so i can try and get 8 plants cloned. Will update my journal after cutting and seting up ezclone

J

jinxjj

Pix, only 5 plants were ready to clone. Also got a bunch of clones from Santa over the weekend. Some strains I know off top of my head are dakini kush, Nepalese watermelon.

2014 12 29 161720
20141229 133238
20141229 133246
20141229 133333
Top Bottom