Need Help Identifying a Bug

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Can anyone tell me what this bug is and how to kill it?

I drenched them in spinosad this morning and it doesn't seem to have bothered them at all, they lay small brown eggs in clusters

Any home dish-soap / hot pepper type recipes would help as I only have spinosad and neem here, haven't tried neem yet
-thanks

Need help identifying a bug 2
Last edited:
Z

Zill

BW,

Those are plant sap sucking aphids. See below. Not my writing.

Control -

Spray With Water Physically removing the aphids from the leaves is the safest way to get rid of them and is a good place to start with organic aphid control. Okay, they are soft and squishy, but you don’t have to pick them off with your fingers. Instead, use a hard jet of spray from the hose. Be sure you hit the underside of leaves as well as the top, since the bugs often hang out there.

Dish Soap Mix You don’t have to buy commercial insecticidal soap to spray on your aphid-infested plants. Just mix up a cup of vegetable oil or a pint of water with two teaspoons of dish soap. Then spray it right on the bugs. Experts say that this works by removing the protective coating on the exterior of the aphids, resulting in them drying out quickly and dying. Remember though: only the aphids you hit directly with the mixture will be eliminated.

Neem Oil If you aren’t the “mix-it up yourself” type, pick up a spray bottle of neem oil at the garden store. Neem oil is made from seeds of the neem tree and contains several insecticidal and fungicidal chemical compounds. Different extracts are mixed with fatty acids and sold at garden centers as neem oil. It kills aphids in the same manner dish soap and water does, so direct contact with the bugs is necessary. The oil helps to smother them.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

BW,

Those are plant sap sucking aphids. See below. Not my writing.

Control -

Spray With Water Physically removing the aphids from the leaves is the safest way to get rid of them and is a good place to start with organic aphid control. Okay, they are soft and squishy, but you don’t have to pick them off with your fingers. Instead, use a hard jet of spray from the hose. Be sure you hit the underside of leaves as well as the top, since the bugs often hang out there.

Dish Soap Mix You don’t have to buy commercial insecticidal soap to spray on your aphid-infested plants. Just mix up a cup of vegetable oil or a pint of water with two teaspoons of dish soap. Then spray it right on the bugs. Experts say that this works by removing the protective coating on the exterior of the aphids, resulting in them drying out quickly and dying. Remember though: only the aphids you hit directly with the mixture will be eliminated.

Neem Oil If you aren’t the “mix-it up yourself” type, pick up a spray bottle of neem oil at the garden store. Neem oil is made from seeds of the neem tree and contains several insecticidal and fungicidal chemical compounds. Different extracts are mixed with fatty acids and sold at garden centers as neem oil. It kills aphids in the same manner dish soap and water does, so direct contact with the bugs is necessary. The oil helps to smother them.
Thanks for the info what was that recipes ratio again? how much oil & soap to how much water?

Z

Zill

BW,

I found from an old Bob vila post he had. These are rather perishable insects, they don’t have a hard exoskeleton and are very susceptible to drying out. If they get coated with neem oil / soap they suffocate. Remember they don’t like direct sunlight, look and spray on the underside of leaves.

STEP 3: Spray plant leaves with a dish soap solution.

Waging war with larger numbers of aphids, or seeing them return after the first steps? Make a homemade insecticidal soap, a low-toxicity bug control solution that will desiccate aphids’ soft bodies and kill them without harming your plants. Simply mix a few teaspoons of a mild liquid dish soap with 1 quart of water, then spray or wipe the solution onto the leaves, stems, and buds of the plant. (These bugs like to hide beneath leaves, so take care to thoroughly coat the underside of the leaves, too.) Repeat the process every 2 or 3 days for the next few weeks, until you no longer notice aphids on the plant

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

BW,

I found from an old Bob vila post he had. These are rather perishable insects, they don’t have a hard exoskeleton and are very susceptible to drying out. If they get coated with neem oil / soap they suffocate. Remember they don’t like direct sunlight, look and spray on the underside of leaves.

STEP 3: Spray plant leaves with a dish soap solution.

Waging war with larger numbers of aphids, or seeing them return after the first steps? Make a homemade insecticidal soap, a low-toxicity bug control solution that will desiccate aphids’ soft bodies and kill them without harming your plants. Simply mix a few teaspoons of a mild liquid dish soap with 1 quart of water, then spray or wipe the solution onto the leaves, stems, and buds of the plant. (These bugs like to hide beneath leaves, so take care to thoroughly coat the underside of the leaves, too.) Repeat the process every 2 or 3 days for the next few weeks, until you no longer notice aphids on the plant
despite hitting them with spinosad in the morning which had no effect
I hit them with neem at dusk and this morning 80 to 90% of them were gone and there were a few stragglers which I shook off and I also scraped the eggs off I'm going to reapply in a few days, alternating neem with a mild dish soap solution, thanks for the info

Z

Zill

Aces! Under control. Even a good Chinese bristle paint brush can be used to simply wipe them off the leaf. Better problem to deal with than powdery mildew.

Top Bottom