Need help, ive never had this happen

• Thread starter Gingercat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

If this was soil, I'd be looking for a grub or something.
It looks like the whole thing changed at once.
Usually mag deficiencies can exist for 4-6 weeks before you see any visible signs of it. That combined with LED that burns through Mg, and coco, which eats the Mg.... transpiration issues, light intensity..... the plant just presented suddenly, it didnt get sick suddenly. I think. I *think* thats whats going on. Ill have a better idea though once we get the stuff i asked for. (Humidity, temperature, pH and ppm both of the nutes AND of the runoff, and the brand/ration of nutes, how often fed, fed every time, ect...)

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Usually mag deficiencies can exist for 4-6 weeks before you see any visible signs of it. That combined with LED that burns through Mg, and coco, which eats the Mg.... transpiration issues, light intensity..... the plant just presented suddenly, it didnt get sick suddenly. I think. I *think* thats whats going on. Ill have a better idea though once we get the stuff i asked for. (Humidity, temperature, pH and ppm both of the nutes AND of the runoff, and the brand/ration of nutes, how often fed, fed every time, ect...)
Yup. Nothing changes color like that in soil unless something is munching the roots. The soil buffers a lot, so changes are usually gradual.

*looking around* Where's Carl? You know, the asst greensman? We might need fireworks.

Gingercat

Gingercat

Ph 5.8 in 6.1 out I'm mixing 2 gallons of feed 3ml of cal mag 8ml of micro 10ml of grow 2ml of bloom and 5ml of rapid start

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The others are eating their food, this one isn't eating. It's building up at the root level.
That will block uptake and since coco eats magnesium, you end up with a glow in the dark plant just like @DreamwalkerJ said.
I would personally flush the snot out of it and then give it a light feeding with some added epsom salt. That will boost the Mag very quickly.
BUT I am not a Hydro guy, wait for DW or @Aqua Man to chime in. Don't do it on my say so.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

The others are eating their food, this one isn't eating. It's building up at the root level.
That will block uptake and since coco eats magnesium, you end up with a glow in the dark plant just like @DreamwalkerJ said.
I would personally flush the snot out of it and then give it a light feeding with some added epsom salt. That will boost the Mag very quickly.
BUT I am not a Hydro guy, wait for DW or @Aqua Man to chime in. Don't do it on my say so.
This ^^

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

You're getting more out than you are putting in? Sounds like a flush is needed. Whatcha tink DW?
You got it right. If your runoff ppm is higher than your input, you need to flush. That buildup is causing a lockout, youre very lucky shes not burntFlush until the water runs clear and near 0ppm. It should take roughly 3-5 times the volume of your pot, so if your in 3 gallons then you pour at least 9 gallons through it. If your in 5 gallons, you pour at least 15 gallons through. That should clear it out. Them give them a decent feeding at about 350ppm.

Gingercat

Gingercat

You got it right. If your runoff ppm is higher than your input, you need to flush. That buildup is causing a lockout, youre very lucky shes not burntFlush until the water runs clear and near 0ppm. It should take roughly 3-5 times the volume of your pot, so if your in 3 gallons then you pour at least 9 gallons through it. If your in 5 gallons, you pour at least 15 gallons through. That should clear it out. Them give them a decent feeding at about 350ppm.
So no Epsom salt needed after the flush? Or is it something I should be adding anyway for every feeding

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

So no Epsom salt needed after the flush? Or is it something I should be adding anyway for every feeding
Add 1 or 2 GRAMS in the first feeding. After that, see what the plant is doing.
Epsom salt is crazy strong. That 1 or 2 grams will wake your plant right up.
If it still needs more, then I would slightly up my cal-mag during regular feedings or when you add it.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I'm always leary of having someone flush. A flush in organics is murder and should'nt ever be done. If it's that bad, repot.

Gingercat

Gingercat

I'm always leary of having someone flush. A flush in organics is murder and should'nt ever be done. If it's that bad, repot.
I'm gonna flush and then instantly feed with nutes once my ppms are back down to zero, using coco I've found has its bonuses, easy to flush and then replenish, I don't know how this happened though as I've been on the same schedule as my last grow but you Learn and you live to grow another day, I have had my interests peaked by Mr Canucks using Gaia green organic dry amendments in coco but that's something that I'm not ready to experiment with yet

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

I'm gonna flush and then instantly feed with nutes once my ppms are back down to zero, using coco I've found has its bonuses, easy to flush and then replenish, I don't know how this happened though as I've been on the same schedule as my last grow but you Learn and you live to grow another day, I have had my interests peaked by Mr Canucks using Gaia green organic dry amendments in coco but that's something that I'm not ready to experiment with yet
Different strains have different requirements. Just because it worked last cycle, doesnt mean it will work now.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I like to dissolve Epsom salt in a little bit of water (shot glass) and then add. It doesn't dissolve instantly and usually needs quite a bit of agitation and helping along.

Gingercat

Gingercat

I like to dissolve Epsom salt in a little bit of water and then add. It doesn't dissolve instantly and usually needs quite a bit of agitation and helping along.
Should I still add the cal mag

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Should I still add the cal mag
I'm not a coco grower but i think the advice being given is to take care of the Mg deficiency first and foremost. Give it a light feeding with your nutrients along with the added Epsom salt as mentioned above. I wouldn't add CalMag this feeding since it's not showing a Calcium deficiency and you'll be giving it quite a bit of Mg with the Epsom salt. Then go back to your regular feed schedule and figure out how much CalMag you need to supplement. Again, I'm not a coco grower so i really don't know how much CalMag is usually necessary.

Top Bottom