Need Help! Leaves curled n pinched, small "burn" spots.

• Thread starter Down4Dabs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Down4Dabs

Down4Dabs

Hydro Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Clones
2. How old are your plants? Aquired 1/17/14 @ 1'
3. How tall are your plants? Being SCROG trained, so they are pulled down.
4. What type of hydro system are you using? DTW
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using? Cogo's Original 2-part
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution? 5.5
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water? 400ppm
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution? 1560ppm
9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? 68F
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check? No
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check? No
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? Mighty Wash
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") HPS 2x1000w
14. How close are your lights to the plants? 13"
15. What size is your grow space in square feet? 10'x10'
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 77-79F @ 48-50% Humidity
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? Spider-Mite Eggs, no webbing, no mites (that we can find)
18. How much experience do you have growing? First Grow
Hey Farm... So my Dad and I are a few weeks into our first grow. We have been acting as sponges, taking in all advice/information we can get from here at the Farm, and from a few friends we both have, who have been growing successfully for a few years now.

We build the rooms this fall/winter, and were able to get it up and running a few weeks back. We aquired 6 GSC clones that looked happy and healthy when we planted them. They were in Solo cups in a perlite soiless mix. They are now in rockwool. 3gal pots.

We have been fighting to get our Humidity up since Day 1. And wondering if this is the key role in what is happening with our plants, or if we have other problems. Our rooms holds at approx. 50% RH.

The Plants seem generally happy, growing noticeably every day. But we are still noticing a few leaves here and there curling with brown spots.

As I stated above, we did find mite eggs on our plants, but have yet to find any actual mites, or any webbing. We did 3 sprays of Mighty Wash, 3 days apart, but were still noticing new eggs. We then were referred a systemic mite killer from a friend, what he uses. I unfortunately don't know exactly what it is called at the moment, but he called it doominator. That was fed 3 days ago. And so far, no more mite eggs.

I will end with a handful of pictures I took of some of the leaves... Hoping that you guys might be able to shine some light on what we have happening. Thanks very much!

Also... if you need anything else: More info, more or better pics... please, LMK, i will take as many as I need, and get any information you may need, to help us out. Thank!
Need help leaves curled n pinched small burn spots
Need help leaves curled n pinched small burn spots 2
Need help leaves curled n pinched small burn spots 3
Need help leaves curled n pinched small burn spots 4
Need help leaves curled n pinched small burn spots 5
Need help leaves curled n pinched small burn spots 6
Need help leaves curled n pinched small burn spots 7
Need help leaves curled n pinched small burn spots 8
Need help leaves curled n pinched small burn spots 9

Down4Dabs

Down4Dabs

1500 ppm is way too strong

That is what we thought also, but we personally met with the guy who makes/sells our nutes. And he went over a few times with us exactly what PPM's we want, factoring in our waters PPM, we are actually running the part A of the 2 part at 80% strength. As advised by him. I also know 2 other people who run their nutes at the same strength with no problems.

Now, please don't take this as I am disagreeing with you. I am just trying to get all the facts I can out there...

Down4Dabs

Down4Dabs

Ok, so I must have either Typo'd earlier, or just misread. (or too stoned).

But my Water reads: 400PPM / 0.6EC
Nute Solution reads: 1460PPM / 2.2EC

So is it still too strong? Is it that I am misunderstanding the directions on how to mix the nutes? Even with the fact that I am cutting Part A to 80%?

Note: Reason I am cutting part A to 80%... The directions for the Nutes include a test, so you can adjust your nutes based on the PPM of your input water. 7.5ml of Part A + 7.5ml of Part B mixed in one gallon of water will give you a PPM of 1160 and an EC of 1.85, after you subtract out the reading of your water, in our case, 400, or 0.6. Which would give us a solution with a PPM of 1560 or an EC of 2.4. So with our water being so high, it only took 80% of the part A to get us up to where we were told to be. As per the directions.

So, If I am way too strong, how far off am I? How did I fuck up the instructions so much, or misunderstand it so badly?

Any help would be appreciated here... and If you do see what is wrong, please help me a bit with it, not just tell me its wrong!

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

L
Ok, so I must have either Typo'd earlier, or just misread. (or too stoned).

But my Water reads: 400PPM / 0.6EC
Nute Solution reads: 1460PPM / 2.2EC

So is it still too strong? Is it that I am misunderstanding the directions on how to mix the nutes? Even with the fact that I am cutting Part A to 80%?

Note: Reason I am cutting part A to 80%... The directions for the Nutes include a test, so you can adjust your nutes based on the PPM of your input water. 7.5ml of Part A + 7.5ml of Part B mixed in one gallon of water will give you a PPM of 1160 and an EC of 1.85, after you subtract out the reading of your water, in our case, 400, or 0.6. Which would give us a solution with a PPM of 1560 or an EC of 2.4. So with our water being so high, it only took 80% of the part A to get us up to where we were told to be. As per the directions.

So, If I am way too strong, how far off am I? How did I fuck up the instructions so much, or misunderstand it so badly?

Any help would be appreciated here... and If you do see what is wrong, please help me a bit with it, not just tell me its wrong!
Lower your ppms. But I would do a flush first.. I would run at most half of what is reccomended.

FiveAM

FiveAM

I think what these two fellows are trying to say is, that most companies have you running more nutes in your systems then that is needed, i.e, you use more they sell more.

1500 is a bit too strong, usually 2.0 ec is plenty.

i've never grown in dtw so i'll leave the rest to the better experienced in those matters.

good luck and good vibes to your grow

peace

Last edited:
Down4Dabs

Down4Dabs

I think what these two fellows are trying to say is, that most companies have you running more nutes in your systems then that is needed, i.e, you use more they sell more.

1500 is a bit too strong, usually 2.0 ec is plenty.

i've never grown in dwc so i'll leave the rest to the better experienced in those matters.

good luck and good vibes to your grow

peace

Thanks... I was in no way trying to discredit what they were saying. I don't want to come across that way. I just wanted to make sure it was understood why I was where I was with the PPM's.

I will back down the EC to a 2.0 and see how that works out. Would you also recommend a flush?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
2.0 EC seems like a good number for heavy flowering with GSC, seems your in veg, tone down the nutes and see what happens, foliar some seaweed too

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Just cause someone else uses the same ppms and doesn't have problems doesn't mean it'll work for you. Their temps and overall plant health or metabolism might allow the plants to process more ppm/food, and if your having any room issues you can't expect to feed your plants at the peak of ppms and expect them to love it. Less is so much more...

Down4Dabs

Down4Dabs

Just cause someone else uses the same ppms and doesn't have problems doesn't mean it'll work for you. Their temps and overall plant health or metabolism might allow the plants to process more ppm/food, and if your having any room issues you can't expect to feed your plants at the peak of ppms and expect them to love it. Less is so much more...

Good point! thanks for the help... :)

C

cogo

Hydro Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Clones
2. How old are your plants? Aquired 1/17/14 @ 1'
3. How tall are your plants? Being SCROG trained, so they are pulled down.
4. What type of hydro system are you using? DTW
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using? Cogo's Original 2-part
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution? 5.5
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water? 400ppm
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution? 1560ppm
9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? 68F
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check? No
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check? No
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? Mighty Wash
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") HPS 2x1000w
14. How close are your lights to the plants? 13"
15. What size is your grow space in square feet? 10'x10'
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 77-79F @ 48-50% Humidity
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? Spider-Mite Eggs, no webbing, no mites (that we can find)
18. How much experience do you have growing? First Grow
Hey Farm... So my Dad and I are a few weeks into our first grow. We have been acting as sponges, taking in all advice/information we can get from here at the Farm, and from a few friends we both have, who have been growing successfully for a few years now.

We build the rooms this fall/winter, and were able to get it up and running a few weeks back. We aquired 6 GSC clones that looked happy and healthy when we planted them. They were in Solo cups in a perlite soiless mix. They are now in rockwool. 3gal pots.

We have been fighting to get our Humidity up since Day 1. And wondering if this is the key role in what is happening with our plants, or if we have other problems. Our rooms holds at approx. 50% RH.

The Plants seem generally happy, growing noticeably every day. But we are still noticing a few leaves here and there curling with brown spots.

As I stated above, we did find mite eggs on our plants, but have yet to find any actual mites, or any webbing. We did 3 sprays of Mighty Wash, 3 days apart, but were still noticing new eggs. We then were referred a systemic mite killer from a friend, what he uses. I unfortunately don't know exactly what it is called at the moment, but he called it doominator. That was fed 3 days ago. And so far, no more mite eggs.

I will end with a handful of pictures I took of some of the leaves... Hoping that you guys might be able to shine some light on what we have happening. Thanks very much!

Also... if you need anything else: More info, more or better pics... please, LMK, i will take as many as I need, and get any information you may need, to help us out. Thank!View attachment 375728 View attachment 375729 View attachment 375730 View attachment 375731 View attachment 375732 View attachment 375734 View attachment 375735 View attachment 375736 View attachment 375737

C

cogo

well water in Michigan is high in iron...use less part a. and more b that means a different reading to follow mix 5ml a and 7.5ml b then check your meter...thats the number you follow. with each increase of part b its a new reading to follow. by the 6th week u should eliminate part a and use only part b too finish

mclovin707

mclovin707

Are you in veg or flower? I have pretty much the exact same grow minus your nute mix. I had yellowing issues and burnt leaves last session at week 5 of flower. However I have eliminated heat issues. My room was running at 86 room temp and around 90 at the canopy. Luckily it was GSC and I still came out about 1.25lb per light.

Im now running at 77 room temp and 79 @ the canopy using a 3 ton mini split.

Hopefully my issues were heat.

Keep us posted on what happens. Ill be keeping a close eye on this thread.

stonestacker

stonestacker

Our problem was to high of ppm. I need to remember this every time I try to push it this happens. Less is more. And I don't see anyone else using Cogo's.
If I remember right at that time we started to use ro since I've gone back to my hard well water and cut back on mix. Always tweaking mix.

Top Bottom