Need help on chosing well

• Thread starter AlexPhantom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AlexPhantom

Hello fellow growers, I am new to this and I need some help
Before anything sorry for my ignorance and my english mistakes. ; )

I have a 2x4x5 tent at home, I would like to use a led light setup for the lower wattage usage and heat production.
I mainly looked on amazon and there are a lot of led lights and well I don't know what's good.
I thought about buying the Mars Hydro 720w, I know it's a lot of wattage for a 2x4 but I don't want my plants to be limited in light. The problem is that I am scared that with my 5 feet I'll be short on height and that at some point the led will be too close and so too strong for the plants. I want to grow 2 plant in some 7 gallons pots
I am a complete newbie and I don't know what wattage would be enough for that setup.
Is 720 w too much and something near 400w would be better.
I searched in forums but sometimes the information is misleading.

Thanks !

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter

I have a 2x4x5 tent at home, I would like to use a led light setup for the lower wattage usage and heat production.
I mainly looked on amazon and there are a lot of led lights and well I don't know what's good.
I thought about buying the Mars Hydro 720w, I know it's a lot of wattage for a 2x4 but I don't want my plants to be limited in light. The problem is that I am scared that with my 5 feet I'll be short on height and that at some point the led will be too close and so too strong for the plants. I want to grow 2 plant in some 7 gallons pots
I am a complete newbie and I don't know what wattage would be enough for that setup.

Thanks !
That size tent 400 is best due to heat and output. Also u will need to train those plants flat very early. Go with 5 gal container. Due to container height. Also good air flow will be key, fans for circulation as well, I use a 5’ Tent for my clones to mature out before they move, I find the heat with 400watt to be high with me having to leave door zipped out for extra flow

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

That's a small tent more for 400w, if your going cheap I bought a viperspectra 600w reflector series, it's big and bulky but in all honesty not a bad veg light, however I have never tried to flower a plant with it as I own a California light works bloom booster, i set it up in a 4×4, i mean i can recommend a $2000 light but since your on amozon anyway light as stated is a good veg light at under $200. Again i never flowered a plant with this light but I know it's good for veg. Any nice light will cost allot more than $200 , but it works. See pics

20190802 195018
20190707 070921
20190816 082128
Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

In that size space 300-400 true watts would be right from a cheap chinese led.

The mars 720 is ok and around 315w but id go viparspectra over mars as they are better build quality and cheaper. Id use 3 vipar 300 or 2 vipar 450.

In my experience mars have too much red and vipar dont have enough and ive had great success in the same space with a vipar 450 in the middle and 2 mars 240 on the sides which was 376 true watts, height was the hardest part but proper training you can do it.

Now what I actually recommend is paying a little more (not much) and getting either a hlg 260xl or 260 as they run a similar price to the mars 720 and use less power and yield more and FAR less heat, or grab a cob fixture.

Im currently running a fixture called a qbl2 in that space i had the mars and vipars its 240w and has 3 3000k cobs and 2 3500k quantum boards and is doing really well and is far more bright than the old setup with less power and is much cooler!

20190818 171933 01
A

AlexPhantom

Wow thanks guys !
Airflow shouldnt be a problem since I am thinking at buying a 400+ cfm for the outake in my 2x4 tent
My tent as 3 pretty large rectangle for the intake
I will take a look at these les lights you guys told me .
I planned to do some pretty good low stress trainning
To make it flatter this is why I was also concerned about having a wide light.
Also what kind of fan should I put inside the tent to have air movement ?

Thanks for the advice.

Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

Wow thanks guys !
Airflow shouldnt be a problem since I am thinking at buying a 400+ cfm for the outake in my 2x4 tent
My tent as 3 pretty large rectangle for the intake
I will take a look at these les lights you guys told me .
I planned to do some pretty good low stress trainning
To make it flatter this is why I was also concerned about having a wide light.
Also what kind of fan should I put inside the tent to have air movement ?

Thanks for the advice.

A 3 or 4 inch exhaust fan should work really well and depending where you are a carbon filter may be needed.

As for air movement 2x 3 inch clip fans or a 4-6 inch oscilating clip fan should suffice.

Definitely look at quantum boards especially the hlg 260xl!

A

AlexPhantom

So I looked at those hlg 320w led and they look like they would really do the job,

Now, I looked up on internet and it seems that alibaba is a place where they sell a lot of these boards (except official company which cost more)
So the kit that interest me is like so :

(Hlg kit) but cost more

I looked up on Alibaba and they are half the price it also look a bit less prenium but if it's mainly the same thing and that it does the same job well I don't mind
But I am sceptical that the quality might not be the same.

What do you guys think about it ?
Also maybe having a dimmer would be a good idea ?

Last edited:
420baby

420baby

Thanks !
You should check the true wattage. It is not 720W. Just around 300W i'd like to say. So your ladies can get around 37W/square feet.
I have used their new quantum board design SP250 for a grow. Just like it. Maybe you can chceck this better model.

420baby

420baby

In that size space 300-400 true watts would be right from a cheap chinese led.

The mars 720 is ok and around 315w but id go viparspectra over mars as they are better build quality and cheaper. Id use 3 vipar 300 or 2 vipar 450.

In my experience mars have too much red and vipar dont have enough and ive had great success in the same space with a vipar 450 in the middle and 2 mars 240 on the sides which was 376 true watts, height was the hardest part but proper training you can do it.

Now what I actually recommend is paying a little more (not much) and getting either a hlg 260xl or 260 as they run a similar price to the mars 720 and use less power and yield more and FAR less heat, or grab a cob fixture.

Im currently running a fixture called a qbl2 in that space i had the mars and vipars its 240w and has 3 3000k cobs and 2 3500k quantum boards and is doing really well and is far more bright than the old setup with less power and is much cooler!
Yeah, the new quantum board design is a better choice no matter for vegging or flowering. that's why i chose the Mars Sp250 quantum board light finally.

Top Bottom