Need help on gooey shatter

• Thread starter Dummy buds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dummy buds

Dummy buds

Hello everyone, I'm semi new to this, dont beat me up to bad.

I blasted about 3 ounces of some power plant, really frosty crystals, all nug material (personal smoke jar)

Used 5 cans of the whippet butane, not exactly sure how much each can holds

I first blasted it into a pyrex dish in warm water, it never really bubbled off like my past experiences, after bubbling stopped, I scraped it up onto parchment paper and put it into a vacuum chamber at 29lbs of vac, at 96 degrees, it never muffined up, and doesn't bubble out unless I chill it and flip it, and it will only do it for about 20 minutes, then turns back into gooey oil,

Why won't it shatter out? I have made shatter in the past with critical purple and forbidden fruit and it was perfect, any help is appreciated

WattSaver

WattSaver

I've found that some strains have more waxes than others. Or your blasting tube needs cleaning, If you use repeated without cleaning it will build up waxes and contaminates that will contaminate a batch eventually. As far as extra waxy strains winterizing will remove a bunch.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

I've found that some strains have more waxes than others. Or your blasting tube needs cleaning, If you use repeated without cleaning it will build up waxes and contaminates that will contaminate a batch eventually. As far as extra waxy strains winterizing will remove a bunch.

Thank you for your response, I have no idea what winterizing is, I'll google it, and the tube wasn't real dirty, I'm wondering, I used 5 coffee filters the last couple times I did it and this time I used 2, the color is real pretty, tastes good, high is fantastic, it's just sticky, I will look into winterizing, any recommended methods? Or who to read from?

20190714 160118
WattSaver

WattSaver

Winterizing is the best way to ensure all butane is removed from the oil. All vacuum pumps and heat do is decarb the material making it ready for eating.
To winterize;
While the oil is still in the blasting pan and all the butane has evaporated, pour in Everclear (pure ethanol 190 proof) and let all the oil dissolve into the alcohol. Once dissolved pour into small glass or beaker cover with cellophane and place in freezer overnight. Next day you will see a floating cloud in the mix, this is the waxes. Pour through coffee filters to capture the wax. Let Everclear evaporate then scrap the pan. I've noticed that after winterizing the oil doesn't get as hard as straight up shatter is but it is very clean.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

Can I use moonshine? I got a line on it, its 191 proof, how much do I use?

WattSaver

WattSaver

I don't see why the shine wouldn't work. I generally use around 5 fl oz.

Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

It's a small detail, but I found totally eliminating water from my process was essential. That liquid butane is quite cold, and any evaporating water may condense in that cold soup. Also, if at all possible, I would give it an initial vac treatment before scraping it and placing it on another medium. It'll never be more thin or evenly spread than it will once the liquid has evaporated out of the pyrex, making this the ideal time to hit with an initial vac.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

Ok guys, I'm gonna run a small batch, I've got some cured forbidden fruit nugs (personal smoke) I've got a glass tube, probably will hold a ounce or so, I will be blasting it into a glass pyrex dish, that will be placed in another glass dish with warm water in it, on a hot skillet. I plan to use 3 coffee filters, and 3 cans of butane, I will let it purge until the bubbles are gone, scrape it up put it on parchment paper, place it into the vacuum chamber with a heating pad set on 95-98, any improvement or criticism will be greatly appreciated

Top Bottom