Need help on how to shape/train/pinch for TREES

• Thread starter BCrocker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BCrocker

BCrocker

Hi,

Need some advice on where to pinch these. They have about 3 weeks more to veg. Currently in 5gal pots, will put into 15's in 3 weeks. Or should I do it now? Might not have enough space for 15's in this room that they are in now.

Residue on the leaves is from a way too strong spinosad mixture that my partner sprayed on... He followed instructions very badly. Although there is no thrips in site now lol

First picture, should I pinch this again? or let it grow?

Second picture, shall this be pinched again? or wait for more growth?

Third picture, different plant, do I pinch the tops of the secondaries?

Need help on how to shapetrainpinch for trees
Need help on how to shapetrainpinch for trees 2
Need help on how to shapetrainpinch for trees 3
Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Woah bro.. You have a SERIOUSLY bad problem with powdery mildew.. How do you not see that?!?!

BCrocker

BCrocker

lol, you didn't read my thread. It's residue from a too strong spinosad spray. It's harmless and washing it over tonight. ;)

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Oops my bad bro.. I feel like a dumbass now lol.. If you've got the veg time I would def top some of those... It will allow the lower branches to catch up to the top...

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
that las plant pix 3 ; have u thought of suppercropping it. it would give those lower shoots time to catch up, then you can top/pinch them 2 all at the same time!! thats how i do it.

confu...

S

Snow Crash

You're working with alternating nodes at this point so topping isn't going to produce any more tops. You may as well just keep super cropping the tops to increase stem thicknesses and slow vertical growth. They look a little stretched out to me, and under lit. More light, closer, and in combination with a good seaweed extract foliar spray program should help reduce internode distances and improve the vigor of your branches.

If you can stomach it... You can cut the top of the plant off all the way down to the last set of nodes (non alternating) to give yourself an honest two tops to the plant. This will cut the size of the plant down considerably which would definitely allow the lower branches to catch up. You'll need to drop another 2 weeks of vegetative growth back into the plant to build up to the size you need... but if you have the time and the will I suppose you could top them if you really wanted to.

I think a little applied defoliation will help expose the under branches to direct light and encourage their growth. I'd take a few leaves that are shading branches to help out with that in my own garden.

Your plant really is already too big to do most kinds of training.

Most tree growers incorporate a series of circular "fences" around the plants as they are growing and incorporating side lighting, topping, and defoliation to fill the plants out earlier on. You should have a bush by the time they are this tall.

If you can afford to do it, take a couple clones from your plants just as they start to throw out flower tops, maybe 10 to 14 days into 12/12. These clones will reveg, it takes time, and the ratios won't be great, but the clones that do root will toss out all kinds of branches from that flower top once it gets going again. Then you can top these, and you'll have a huge canopy on a relatively short plant. Then it's just a matter of pushing a bunch of energy into it to bring their size up.

D

Donkdbz

Your lacking some critical info for the advice your asking.

Horizontal or Vertical Lighting. Room layout. Space between lights. Plant and lighting layout. and of course genetics

BCrocker

BCrocker

You're working with alternating nodes at this point so topping isn't going to produce any more tops. You may as well just keep super cropping the tops to increase stem thicknesses and slow vertical growth. They look a little stretched out to me, and under lit. More light, closer, and in combination with a good seaweed extract foliar spray program should help reduce internode distances and improve the vigor of your branches.

If you can stomach it... You can cut the top of the plant off all the way down to the last set of nodes (non alternating) to give yourself an honest two tops to the plant. This will cut the size of the plant down considerably which would definitely allow the lower branches to catch up. You'll need to drop another 2 weeks of vegetative growth back into the plant to build up to the size you need... but if you have the time and the will I suppose you could top them if you really wanted to.

I think a little applied defoliation will help expose the under branches to direct light and encourage their growth. I'd take a few leaves that are shading branches to help out with that in my own garden.

Your plant really is already too big to do most kinds of training.

Most tree growers incorporate a series of circular "fences" around the plants as they are growing and incorporating side lighting, topping, and defoliation to fill the plants out earlier on. You should have a bush by the time they are this tall.

If you can afford to do it, take a couple clones from your plants just as they start to throw out flower tops, maybe 10 to 14 days into 12/12. These clones will reveg, it takes time, and the ratios won't be great, but the clones that do root will toss out all kinds of branches from that flower top once it gets going again. Then you can top these, and you'll have a huge canopy on a relatively short plant. Then it's just a matter of pushing a bunch of energy into it to bring their size up.

Thanks for the info. Awesome stuff here, learning a lot! I have never actually used super cropping method before.

Your lacking some critical info for the advice your asking.

Horizontal or Vertical Lighting. Room layout. Space between lights. Plant and lighting layout. and of course genetics

Vertical lighting, room is 20x1000 , 49 PK plants, about 3.5 feet between lights.

BCrocker

BCrocker

that las plant pix 3 ; have u thought of suppercropping it. it would give those lower shoots time to catch up, then you can top/pinch them 2 all at the same time!! thats how i do it.

confu...

Ya I will be doing this tomorrow :) Still have about 3 weeks of veg for these to catch up as well. Then they go into 15 gals, veg for 5 days, then kick

Top Bottom