Need help. PM and working with a Partner

• Thread starter bulldog74
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bulldog74

So, I am a legal medi grower and recently moved to a different state to begin a career in the cannabis business. I moved here from Florida 6 months ago with a partner with some outdoor grows under his belt and maybe a cfl closet grow or two. He is the money partner. I myself was out of work and needed a reason to get out of Florida. I have several years of growing experience, several years of outdoor guerilla grows ( The miracle grow days) and about 5 years of indoor growing including many closet , bedroom and a couple os smaller commercial grows. Done some breeding (pollen chucking) and alot of seed hoarding, worked in soil, hempY BUCKETS, ebb and flow, flood aND DRAIN, MOSTLY SOIL and hempys but I have alot of experimenting under my belt. Anyways, I have a library of books, spent a few years on the forums (HG420) and although I havent really grown for about 4 or 5 years I feel as though I have forgotten more then most growers around here know. Im not trying to toot my own horn, in no way am I the man but maybe im just meeting alot of unknowlegeable growers. Ive seen about half a dozen grow ops since I have been here and none of them looked to be serious, more like hobby growers and any weed that I have seen is crap ....Im sorry I am rambling and getting off the topic.....Long story short we are doing very well in the 5 months we have been here, I handel all of the watering and nutes and my partner handels all the construction. I came into the deal with knowledge and enough equipment to get us started and he had about 15 grand for us to set up with. The money is starting to roll in and we are able to provide some free oe discounted medicine to our patients.......Tonight I almost hit the roof on my partner, as I said he has done some good old boy outdoor grows and maybe even grown some good pot (I dont know because i met him a week before we moved here and went into business together) but not really much experience. He has picked up alot in the last 6 months no doubt, I wish that when I started I had someone to show me first hand and who had gone through mistakes and losses and whatever but none the less he is kind of a rookie......So anyway we harvested 3 chocalopes today and got about half a pound. Well this chocalope strain has really been a bitch for me. I have been having issue after issue with her such as calmag defs, mites, and PM but I have kept her around because she produces the most dense heavy hard nugs I have ever seen and she puts out the weight (Got 12 oz off a 5 gallon hempy the other day)....... So anyway, I know that when you mention the words POWDERY MILDEW alot of people really freak out and treat it like its Herpiesgonacifleaids, but this strain is very suceptable to thePM. Now when I say that it gets PM I am not saying that it is an out of hand absolute infestation. I am saying that it gets "spots" of it. I usualy will cut these spots out if there is any and toss the buds that have it....Again its not covered in PM it is just in spots on some of the buds and I toss those buds out. Because it is so dense it will sometimes reoccur in the curing process too but again i cut those spots out. Sometimes before harvest I will spot spray any signs of it with hydrogen peroxidem and baking soda and I showed this teqnique to my partner. You can see that my partner does not like it when I am throwing away buds because he goes through the trash and collects the buds to smoke. So tonight I went downstairs to see my partner spraying down a half a pound worth of buds with hydrogen peroxide...Not spot sprAYING BUT COMPLETELY DRENCHING ALL OF THE buds, like he might as well have been dubking them in a bucket. I asked him what was he doing and he said " I am tired of losing pot to powdery mildew". I said "bro there is no reason to spray everything down". He said well why not you spray it before you chop it down, it doesnt leave any residue I just want to ensure that we dont lose anymore bud to the trash. So I begged him to not do it anymore and I said listen let me go on my forum and ask some other people if this is okay. Here is where I need everyones help.

I need him to stop doing this but I dont wwant to cause a major argument. I want him to stop doing this--How bad is it to drench your harvested bud with hydrogen peroxide? I dont have all the answers but I figure if I tell him that I researched it online and asked other growers that maybe that might help. How bad is it to spray down our pot? am I over reacting? Please help me win my argument.

C

CAPO

you guys are selling mold-ridden buds to people, whether you "clean" them or not...invest in a sulfur burner.

B

bulldog74

Again... a plant might have 3 or 4 fingernail size spots which I cut off and toss in the trash. I am not selling moldy buds. I microscope all buds before they go to the dispensary. The dispensary just told me I have some of the best product he has seen in a year..... AGAIN a few small spots that are cut and thrown away.

ftwendy

ftwendy

A sulfur burner and an agreement between you and $man about division of responsibilities would help.

Divide the responsibilities and leave each other in charge of separate functions of the entire grow process. Each harvest should have different delegations if you guys are to maximize the value of the partnership, and want insurance and freedom. The partner thing is a very delicate relationship mainly due to the fact that both of you have massive responsibilities and expectations, and it is easy to forget how much the other person is contributing.

My advice is to be patient with each other, and if you get really pissed at one another, separate physically and discuss the issue over the phone. Be calm, and remember the value each of you contributes. Also, a combination lock on the door to the flower room will end all unsupervised visits, and should be added to secure your space anyhow.

Here's another good discussion about partnerships, fyi:

Okay, PM.... I've seen another grower battle and beat this shit, so it can be done, but it is a motherf**er. Diligence is key.

The sulfur is most effective if used a few nights each week on both the veg and flower side (alternate nights, veg one night, flower the next). Unfortunately, the pm is systemic and will only show more symptoms over time, and it only gets worse as the plants mature in flower. FYI: the sulfur won't stop pm altogether immediately, and no matter what your buds will taste like matches.

You really should chalk the entire crop up as a loss, or start planning a massive butane extraction. Tell the money man that pm is a fact of life in most every garden, indoors and outside, vegetables and ornamentals, and lost time due to dirty meds is an expense he needs to factor into his budget. Saturating the plant with h202 is a recipe for botrytis, and should be discontinued.

Burning the sulfur on the veg side is best since it doesn't effect flavor of finished product, and if you get young rooted transplants under a sulfur regimen for their entire veg cycle, they will be MUCH less likely to be infected. If you are diligent about sulfur use, you can get rid of the mildew entirely within 3 cycles/harvests. Between now and then, you will be battling it and creating schwank. Sucks, but thats the price of growing indoors in an overcrowded space, or with dirty clones... Good luck - you can beat this.

If time and conscience are paramount in your priorities, just start some new seeds immediately and burn the sulfur around them every night they are in the same space as the infected plants. Ditch the genes with pm, or quarantine them if they're invaluable.

Please do not sell mildew infected meds to sick people. Make bho or alcohol tincture if you're in straits for $.

Cheers, let me know if I can help. ftw

B

bulldog74

Thank you very much for the respose ftwendy. So soaking will cause botrytis. Great that is something I can use in my argument. Again I would like to say the PM is a couple of spots. Would you really scrap thousands of dollars for 3 fingernail spots of PM on a plant? I dont know but that just sounds crazy to me. The dispensary that takes my overages has never seen anything and they check everything under a microscope. I want people to know this is not an infestation. 3 buds had spots! I was afraid when asking for help i would get alot of one liners like the first response saying " Any PM and you have to throw everything away". I provide my patients free medicine and would never hand anything to anyone that was poison. Would love some more help from anyone with help with my argument.

ftwendy

ftwendy

Tough call on whether or not to scrap the infected portions or the entire crop. It is entirely up to you. PM is endemic in north america, and its a fact of life tho, so don't beat yourself up over it. Part of the learning curve...

Are you being honest with the dispensary owner that you have pm? Its a tough call, but please remember that you're supplying sick people with medicine and that is serious business. Stay cool about all of this, ftw

ftwendy

ftwendy

Also, spraying anything on plants more than 3 weeks into flowering is a bad idea. The h202 becomes h20 after it reacts to pathogens, and this residual water is a breeding ground for nasties much uglier than the pm. Best, ftw

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

PM is a systemic type disease. I know you "think" you are getting rid of it by inspecting your buds and what not, but I assure you that you are not, and it is NOT good for anyone. Make BHO or a tincture as suggested until you rid yourself of this problem.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

The only thing I could think of when I read your 1st post was Why would you go into biz with a guy you've only known for a week? I know its been months now...
GL with your mold probs and future grows. I hope you figure it out. -PDX

ftwendy

ftwendy

PM is a tax on your immune system. Pure and simple...

Some can handle it, others cannot. We are not qualified to make the decision on who could or could not handle smoking tainted medicine, so we are saying that the conscientious decision would be making an extract. Otherwise, you are just a drug dealer. Careful about the greed, man.... nothing prevents a grower from learning and improving like a greedy gameplan does. Greed is a roadblock. ftw

E

Emithsuk

Get a better dehumidifier and you never mentioned what you're feeding the plants or what your environment is like. How are you cleaning the air and room to remove spores? You need to address the cause of the issue before it happens instead of spraying finished buds with crap. Be proactive instead of reactive. I personally toss strains that get pm no matter how good they are.

click80

click80

The Best Partner

Here is the only partner I would ever have. My boy Porthos

I don't have to share anything with him but Liver Treats and Love ;o)

0205022113.jpg

0205022114.jpg
0205022114a.jpg

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

I think you and your partner won't like the solution very much, but you should make that tainted herb into tincture or something else. You should get rid of problem before restarting or get rid of the plants that already have it. You definitely have an infestation, It's kinda like having herpes 3-4 times a year and saying you don't have it, cause it's only a fingernails full. lol.

I also agree w/ click though, it's definitely easier to have a 4 legged partner lol.

treebark1950

treebark1950

Shoot I'm scared of my dog bringing spider mites over to my op, I don't let anything in unless its been cleaned first! I see her rolling around outside and that's all I can think about! Haha

dirk d

dirk d

what you need to do bro is start a preventative maintenance program and invest some more $$$ in dialing in your grow op. any plant/strain that is weak for pm i try to toss. sometimes its easier said than done. you need to spend a lot more time researching pm. i believe its the #1 issue for MJ growers.

I've had to start dunking all my CLONES in eagle-20. its a systemic fungicide but should get rid of your pm issues. only thing is that it is very toxic and really should only be used on clones. Do much research before you get this though. you will need full body protection. Never use this product during any part of flowering.

and never bring an animal in your grow op.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I agree with hydro rock and click; It is most karmatic to make oil out of the buds that way your killing anything harmful but not throwin away your cash either. NEVER give or sell any buds that have PM anywhere on them, that is very dangerous to peoples health, if PM is showing on one spot that means the spores are on everything in there, microscopes will only find PM cultures(AKA the spots) not the actaul PM all over the girls. and in conjunction with what click said. The best partner is your dog; partnerships are a cool way to do things but b/c of the way the medi-cannabis industry runs it's very hard to find compatible partners; remeber what may not be disrespectful to some people may be extremely disrespectful or arrogant to others. i have found completly seperating money in partnerships is the only way it will work. There's the grower and then theres the $ guy. The $ guy must never even worry about the whole process until the end in order for there to be no discrepencies, and a person like that is very hard to come by. Your better of goin smaller and doin your own thing then partnering to go big, in the end it generally keeps you from going big longer by having a partner. Just my 2-cents hope this helps man. and as always Take it easy

sry for spelling

B

Bluenote

By the way folks UV will fluoresce PM and make it visible far sooner than you'll see it with the naked eye.

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

Your weed is no good and neither are your grow skills if you think it's O.K. if it only has a "little" P.M. Start over wth some of those seeds you've been hoarding and clean up your grow room! P.M. is no joke when were talking about Medicine here!! Good Luck w/that Bud!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom