Need Help Preventing Node Stretch!

• Thread starter Critical Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Critical Kid

I am trying to grow compact single cola plants, but I am having problems with node stretch. I have just purchased a track to improve the coverage I am getting from my two 600's and have lowered the lights to a distance of 14" above the plant tops. What else can I do to keep the distance in between nodes minimal?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
how long do you veg them? if you want colas they should be flipped within 3 days and not all strains will sog well either

IMO a light mover is not going give you less stretch

C

Critical Kid

I veg for two weeks, I want the colas to be 10-14g's so I dont think 3 days is practical. It usually takes 5 or 6 days for the clones to really start rocking then they explode quickfast! In theory having the light so close should help prevent the stretching no?

LBH

LBH

One of the big factors often overlooked regarding stretching is temp consistency.

Big temp fluctuations between night/day or dark and light cycles can increase stretch greatly. Try and keep those 2 temps as close to each other as possible.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
if you veg the plants that long they are going to branch

the way I have seen people do SOG was flip 3 after days and strip everything from the halfway point down on day 12

S

SEASCAPE

I 2x that some strains do better with growing nothing but tops, others are streched by the nature of genetics. LBH has a good point, I think of this like soil just getting feed.. What I mean is if you run soil, and you get to the point of all being dryed up, then you give it a good feed and BAM-they kick the next day. Your plants want the 78ish temp steady, start to dip below by 15 or 20 degrees cooler and you will watch your shoots turn more of a bright green/lime color-at least thats what happens over here. I think shutdown time has alot to do with what strain your choosing to grow tops with-my 02

C

Critical Kid

if you veg the plants that long they are going to branch

the way I have seen people do SOG was flip 3 after days and strip everything from the halfway point down on day 12

Do you mean strip it on day 12th of flowering or day 12th including the 3 days of veg.?

C

Critical Kid

One of the big factors often overlooked regarding stretching is temp consistency.

Big temp fluctuations between night/day or dark and light cycles can increase stretch greatly. Try and keep those 2 temps as close to each other as possible.

That's a good point, this may have been a big factor with my set-up, but I got an accurate thurmostat now so theres only a fluctuation of a couple degrees now.

click80

click80

my last sog just ended

i average 2 lbs on 24 plants, bbcheese, deathstar [highly rec'mend] and some others...tecnaflora full recipe, veg in cloner for m'be 3 days, they go in h'ton in 5'' pots, start em at 75 per cent power on 2 lm'teks 600 at about 16 inches and bring them down to about 6-8'' max when i feel they r starting first spurt...i have ushios in radiant 8 hoods, co2 for first 6 weeks, and steady enviroment is critical imo...i leaf watch and keep ramping nutes up til almost burn, but i flush every 6 days....one time my humidity got weird and to fix that i had to temp adjust, and thts the one time i had the bad kind of stretch....

''lbh is right on ''

...luck dude

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Humboldt County's Own Bushmaster is a great product for keeping the nodal spacing close. I suggest you look into it. But it needs to be used in real moderation, too much and it could have totally adverse effects on your crop.

J

Jalisco Kid

Having your lights out temp 3 degrees Hotter will give you better internode spacing. JK

C

Critical Kid

Having your lights out temp 3 degrees Hotter will give you better internode spacing. JK

I have been vegging with 24 hours of light. Would you recomend 18/6 or should I just focus on keeping the temps up during the night during flowering??

half baked

half baked

easi m8, i run the white fire og by raskal and she does the same in flower, what i do is pinch the new growth(1-2inch from top of plant) til i hear it pop, i dont crush it totally jus pop it and i find i keep the nodes a little closer, i do it also to keep my canopy in check as it slows top end growth for a couple of days, peace hb

P

pure arghan

I am trying to grow compact single cola plants, but I am having problems with node stretch. I have just purchased a track to improve the coverage I am getting from my two 600's and have lowered the lights to a distance of 14" above the plant tops. What else can I do to keep the distance in between nodes minimal?

the bigest factor iv seen is the room around the plant, make sure that the fan leaves are not tuching anything, if they do the plant will stretch to get more light no mater wot kind of smoke you grow, it's hard wired to the plant, one of its servial instink's.
the outher factor can be your temp, if your temp is say 25 with the lights on and 15 with the lights off you will get stretch.
the most commen factor is when the lights are off in your grow, if you have a small emont of light coming from the roof or wall, and i mean a very very small emont of light ( just enough to be able to see with naket eye )( a dot ) the plant will grow towards the light = stretch.
hope this helps and good luck with all your grow's :harvest:

P

pure arghan

all that dose is posen your plant

Humboldt County's Own Bushmaster is a great product for keeping the nodal spacing close. I suggest you look into it. But it needs to be used in real moderation, too much and it could have totally adverse effects on your crop.

would't use this if you put a gun to my head, this is one of thoughs products that scam you out of money, the only way it could work is for it to posen the plant, thus slowing down the groth rate of the plant, bad shit.
its all to do with the plants envirament

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

would't use this if you put a gun to my head, this is one of thoughs products that scam you out of money, the only way it could work is for it to posen the plant, thus slowing down the groth rate of the plant, bad shit.
its all to do with the plants envirament

It is not as bad a product as you seem to think it is, I assure off that. I use all organic soil and nutrients and still was happy to give this product a try. It is made from sea kelp, is highly concentrated, and is used only once in very small doses at the very beginning of flowering. It delivers a concentrated dose of, I believe, potassium, which helps keep the nodal spacing close. So the same thing can be achieved with other purely potassium products, if you are more comfortable using those.

J

Jalisco Kid

the bigest factor iv seen is the room around the plant, make sure that the fan leaves are not tuching anything, if they do the plant will stretch to get more light no mater wot kind of smoke you grow, it's hard wired to the plant, one of its servial instink's.
the outher factor can be your temp, if your temp is say 25 with the lights on and 15 with the lights off you will get stretch.
the most commen factor is when the lights are off in your grow, if you have a small emont of light coming from the roof or wall, and i mean a very very small emont of light ( just enough to be able to see with naket eye )( a dot ) the plant will grow towards the light = stretch.

I have a different opinion on that from growing a few trees.Plus I do not cut my fan leaves so I have a bunch touching. JK

Cultiv8r

Cultiv8r

I'm pretty sure at least 90% of the a plant's tendency to stretch beyond its genetic boundaries is based on the availability of light. Maybe your light mover is stretching the light too thin. Add a few lights and see if the stretching stops.

homebrew420

homebrew420

This comment will help nobody... I think just about everyone here is rite. Temps are a huge part. Cooler temp and less swing seem to bethe key fo me but lets not rule out genetic role. Get the proper strain to make it easy on yourself. The money spent on seeds almost always will be worth it. Especially from THCbay. XXX og sounds like what you want, haha. That bitch is a single cola tower. As by buddy put, "Tower of Babel"

Peace

Top Bottom