NEED HELP SET UP PASSIVE VENTILATION

• Thread starter DANKGROWER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DANKGROWER

DANKGROWER

Need help with passive ventilation

I have a 4x4x5 veg tent temps are around 79-81f...I would like to get it down to 75 if possible! I need to know the best setup with my equipment for a passive system:
4x4x5 tent
400 watt mh
409 cfm sunleaves 6in inline fan
160 cfm 6in duct booster fanx2

I also have a 5x5x6 flower tent I need the same help with? my temps get 82 in there :(...
Equipment:
5x5x6 tent
1000 watt hps
728 CFM vortex 8 in inline fan
250 cfm 8 in duct booster fanx2

WHAT IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO SET THIS UP??

Billyboat

Billyboat

If you are already moving that much air I would lower the ambient temp of the room the tents are in. When I grew in tents my tent ran 10'degrees warmer then the outside room air.

Ambre

Ambre

Are both huts in the same room? What is the ambient temp in the room? Measure the air down at intake level and also up at the top of the tent. You will never get the huts cooler than ambient temp and achieving that is almost impossible because of the heat generated inside the huts.

Are you venting inside the room? If so, you are just recirculating your heat back into the garden.

I assume you know this, but you should pull air in from the bottom and exhaust out the top.

If you are running heat in the building, try blocking off the heat ducts or turn off the radiators in that room. I bet the heat from the garden will keep the room plenty warm!

DANKGROWER

DANKGROWER

the tent are in an unfinished basement...with ambient temp of the air pulling in being 73-75f at any time through the day. I am venting out of the room into the adjacent room (not tent ROOM)...intake is at bottom exhaust up top and all heat vents are closed same fn temps!!! I bought another inline fan to run and will get it hooked up this weekend n post pics! On a good note I started some seeds n will be starting a grow journal...a little heads up 5 strain:
Green Crack
Amherst Sour Diesel
Desert Diesel
Purple Haze
Kush n Cheese

I APPRECIATE THE HELP FELLAS. I THINK THIS WILL SOLVE MY ISSUE...

Ambre

Ambre

If your tent temps are that close to the room temp, you are doing great. Adding a booster fan won't hurt, that's for sure, but I think the trick here is going to be finding a way to reduce the ambient room temp. As Billyboat said, temps in the tent are going to be higher because of the heat from the light.

Try using active air intake instead of passive - try blowing a fan at your air intake(s) and see if that improves the inside temp. Speaking of intake, you need more area for intake than exhaust - try making another hole for air intake to see if that makes a difference. Adding more fans to the exhaust won't do any good at all if you don't have sufficient air intake to allow more air flow.

Ducting needs to be as smooth on the inside as possible to keep the air flowing with max efficiency. The more curves/dips/bends you have in the ducting, the more resistance you have to airflow. Using smooth metal ducting will make a big difference in air throughput compared to using spiral wire/foil ducting.

One trick I use is to run the lights in the garden at night. Night temps are usually lower than daytime temps, though that might not be true in a basement.

Nice strains! Did you get clones or are you starting seeds?

sixstring

sixstring

What are you using for light fixtures or are you bare bulb? Those temps aint bad but a few degrees less would be nice.if your not cooling lights try pulling air from the top of the tent where all the hot stuff is.i ran a 400hps in a 2 x 2 x5 tent with my intake right at the ceiling and was able to keep my tent about 2f above room temps.all lower vents are open so cold air enters down low and I had good updraft this way.but I had to make sure my room light was off with my tent.otherwise your in there 2 x a day opening and closing vents, pain in the ass :)

DANKGROWER

DANKGROWER

Here is the outside of the veg tent(yes I have a clone section up top but haven't got to use it yet) my intake to the lower left (160cfm duct booster fan...cheap 50$ intake fans)going in the bottom of the tent.

Here is in the tent...(bottom left) intake going in(160cfm)
(Top)Air cooled hood(400watt mh light)with inline fan (435cfm) for outake
And there's the temp easy breezy 73 low 75 high :)

(Below) is the flower tent. I just took this too show you how it is now... (Top right) 708cfm inline fan to air cooled hood (1000 watt hps) out the room
(Bottom right) 250 cfm intake, ac unit

I plan on moving my big fan on the other side of my light so it's sucking away the heat from the light...keep my intake there and I have a carbon filter and another inline fan (400cfm).

It will be like this
duct> air cooled hood> duct>708cfm inline fan> duct wye

Carbon filter> duct> 400cfm inline fan> duct> wye

Having them both run to the wye I will the connect the exhaust duct to the adjacent room!!! I think I've got this one figured out?!?

DANKGROWER

DANKGROWER

And Ambre I started from seed all are Humboldt seed organization except the purple haze which is g 13 labs all from attitude

straincreation

straincreation

ok so a few things here.
IME 82* is not that bad , if you have a healthy garden and everything in check, and as long as your not that or higher temp for prolonged periods of time your good. Although i dont know all yhe details that your dealing with.
I understand your concern of course, but i really dont think that 82 is that bad as long as your not getting major swings in temp and your soil is not heating up to that temp.
Just my thoughts take it how you would like.
Other suggestion that i leared over the years is running like this most effiecent, although some manufacturers dont recommend it, i have never had anything but benefits from it. So :
Carbon filter> duct to fan(or direct hook up)>duct to hood> exuast> other room.

Some farmer here said it the best and screw my memories for not rememberering his name but his analogy was spot on.
Take a hot bowl of soup, in order to cool it down you can
a. Attempt to suck the steam and hot air to cool the soup.
b. You can BLOW the steam and hot air away.
in your opinion which is the best way of doing so?
The answer is common sense, and it just blew my mind when i found out how i completely over looked it for years.

Also ambre mentioned smooth ducting..
ding ding ding... stuff works wonders.
In that last pic im assuming you decided to add a portable. I really think that if you were gonna go that route.you should have just scooped up another fan and just ran active bro. If your ambient was good and you were venting out the room it could have and still can be a quite efficient active room. You have a dimmer on that thowey? Lower that girl when it spikes till it get back down? Atleast till weather cools.
Also canrun lights at night i do.helps alot.

So there are many options, process of elimination will help you fix this with out having to do them all at once and not knowing what really made any difference.

So just my thoughts man
BOL! Hope everthing works out.
hapoy farmin;)

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

I have a very similar setup bro. Same tents and all. Different reflectors though. Not a nice mega reflect like that. What reflector is that?
I dont know if I could say this is the best way to do it, but a knowledgeable friend of mine who has been growing a couple decades longer than I've been alive recommended this setup to me and I have something that resulted from the advice.
Take the 700+cfm fan and and hang it/place it close to a fresh and cooler air source like a window, or just a part of the room with relatively cool/fresh air. Run ducting as smooth and straight as possible from the fan into the tent and fasten ducting to the light. Put more ducting on the other side of the light and run it thru the exhaust hole.
He said this was a closed loop light cooling method that will keep room temps down and reflector hoods cool to the touch. The other plus is the bugs like houseflys wont have an easy time getting into the light or into the tent thru the light with the constant and strong air movement. Like a river of air. You can do the same thing with the 6" setup in the veg room and weaker inline fan. 720 cfm is quite a lot of air movement for 1 light, so I personally have it split with a y fitting to cool both a 400w mh in an 8" reflector as well as the 1000w hps. With your 6" veg setup you maybe best just doing the same thing but with the 6" equipment for that tent.
For air intake you can do what your doing just blowing air in with those booster fans at least for the veg room. For the flower room I would take a carbon filter and 6" centrifugal or inline fan with some ducting and use it for exhaust and smell control. My same friend said this carbon filter/inline fan exhaust system will draw a good amount of fresh air passively. Once you have this setup the most important thing is moving the air in the tents around. With the carbon filter exhaust, closed loop light cooling, and your current intake and controls like that fan and ac, your air movement as well as temps in tent and reflectors should be solid. Cant go wrong with the secret jardin, unless your gonna spend on gorilla it is the best mass produced tent from my research before buying and now using them.

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

I have a very similar setup bro. Same tents and all. Different reflectors though. Not a nice mega reflect like that. What reflector is that?
I dont know if I could say this is the best way to do it, but a knowledgeable friend of mine who has been growing a couple decades longer than I've been alive recommended this setup to me and I have something that resulted from the advice.
Take the 700+cfm fan and and hang it/place it close to a fresh and cooler air source like a window, or just a part of the room with relatively cool/fresh air. Run ducting as smooth and straight as possible from the fan into the tent and fasten ducting to the light. Put more ducting on the other side of the light and run it thru the exhaust hole.
He said this was a closed loop light cooling method that will keep room temps down and reflector hoods cool to the touch. The other plus is the bugs like houseflys wont have an easy time getting into the light or into the tent thru the light with the constant and strong air movement. Like a river of air. You can do the same thing with the 6" setup in the veg room and weaker inline fan. 720 cfm is quite a lot of air movement for 1 light, so I personally have it split with a y fitting to cool both a 400w mh in an 8" reflector as well as the 1000w hps. With your 6" veg setup you maybe best just doing the same thing but with the 6" equipment for that tent.
For air intake you can do what your doing just blowing air in with those booster fans at least for the veg room. For the flower room I would take a carbon filter and 6" centrifugal or inline fan with some ducting and use it for exhaust and smell control. My same friend said this carbon filter/inline fan exhaust system will draw a good amount of fresh air passively. Once you have this setup the most important thing is moving the air in the tents around. With the carbon filter exhaust, closed loop light cooling, and your current intake and controls like that fan and ac, your air movement as well as temps in tent and reflectors should be solid. Cant go wrong with the secret jardin, unless your gonna spend on gorilla it is the best mass produced tent from my research before buying and now using them.
put the carbon filter in the tent, put a fan on top, lead the ducting out the tent

DANKGROWER

DANKGROWER

ok so a few things here.
IME 82* is not that bad , if you have a healthy garden and everything in check, and as long as your not that or higher temp for prolonged periods of time your good. Although i dont know all yhe details that your dealing with.
I understand your concern of course, but i really dont think that 82 is that bad as long as your not getting major swings in temp and your soil is not heating up to that temp.
Just my thoughts take it how you would like.
Other suggestion that i leared over the years is running like this most effiecent, although some manufacturers dont recommend it, i have never had anything but benefits from it. So :
Carbon filter> duct to fan(or direct hook up)>duct to hood> exuast> other room.

Some farmer here said it the best and screw my memories for not rememberering his name but his analogy was spot on.
Take a hot bowl of soup, in order to cool it down you can
a. Attempt to suck the steam and hot air to cool the soup.
b. You can BLOW the steam and hot air away.
in your opinion which is the best way of doing so?
The answer is common sense, and it just blew my mind when i found out how i completely over looked it for years.

Also ambre mentioned smooth ducting..
ding ding ding... stuff works wonders.
In that last pic im assuming you decided to add a portable. I really think that if you were gonna go that route.you should have just scooped up another fan and just ran active bro. If your ambient was good and you were venting out the room it could have and still can be a quite efficient active room. You have a dimmer on that thowey? Lower that girl when it spikes till it get back down? Atleast till weather cools.
Also canrun lights at night i do.helps alot.

So there are many options, process of elimination will help you fix this with out having to do them all at once and not knowing what really made any difference.

So just my thoughts man
BOL! Hope everthing works out.
hapoy farmin;)

The only reason I'm concerned about the 82 temps ate because it seems to stress the ladies quite a bit more than I'd like. I've heard and seen both methods of sucking/blowing air over the light. I re.ally don't know which will work best in this setup...like you said trial and error

DANKGROWER

DANKGROWER

It's a cobra 8 reflector (1000 watt) and I believe I'm going to have to just get another fan I already have cf

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

sounds like a solid plan. Would like to see pics of the finished setup. Have you always used the cobra reflector or do you have experience with smaller ones but still running 1000w? any noticeable differences in your yield and or quality with the change? I am thinking of adding a 2nd 5x5 flowering tent and may get a mega reflector like yours for it if it seems to be worth the investment.

DANKGROWER

DANKGROWER

sounds like a solid plan. Would like to see pics of the finished setup. Have you always used the cobra reflector or do you have experience with smaller ones but still running 1000w? any noticeable differences in your yield and or quality with the change? I am thinking of adding a 2nd 5x5 flowering tent and may get a mega reflector like yours for it if it seems to be worth the investment.
It is the only reflector I've used with the 1000watt but I say if you have the cash go big. I really couldn't imagination a smaller reflector IMO for my 1000watt it seems to cover the 5x5 footprint perfectly. You can find it for 180 bucks online I see em go for 250 sometimes just do your shopping like you do your research...I will be working on my flower tent this week and will post pics.

CHECK OUT MY GROW DIARY 5 STRAIN GROW!!!

Top Bottom