NEED HELP TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF

• Thread starter kyle57843
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zill

Agree Tom. I never heard of a nutrient lock until I joined this forum. I suppose if I dump a bag of fertilizer on plant it will suffer from being grown in the dead sea. Maybe that's what folks are calling nutrient lock. In any case it never made any sense. It's in the same category as flushing.

zill.

daggarooker

daggarooker

Maybe bring down the ec down to half strength and see how they react. That's what I would suggest after a ph balance flush.

Z

Zill

pH is low and could be making Mg unavailable. Like Daggarooker suggests - flush. Then go back and amend.

TSD

TSD

Nice and healthy I just transplanted 3 weeks ago to bigger pots so I don't think they are rootbound although the ones that are most affected by whatever is going on having rooting into the new mix at all or grown an inch. Which is extremely odd all of them have stunted growth about half the growth I'd expect by now
How long have they been in flower? They don't really grow much in height after the initial stretch starting flower...

kyle57843

kyle57843

How long have they been in flower? They don't really grow much in height after the initial stretch starting flower...
Ya I know but they barely grew at all every strain usually I get some that do that but not every one maybe a couple inches at most and some none at all

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

That's my thoughts was magnesium but I've been using cal mag so I don't understand
What I'm seeing looks like it could be lockout from too much calcium, plus the lights being a touch too bright.

Both potassium and magnesium may have been deficient or locked out at some point, and calcium can mess with both of them. There may be some calcium in your water. Assuming that's the case, only use epsom salts for Mg, and don't use cal/mag.

Don't worry about red or purple petioles. They happen when the petioles are exposed to LED lighting.

TSD

TSD

Agree Tom. I never heard of a nutrient lock until I joined this forum. I suppose if I dump a bag of fertilizer on plant it will suffer from being grown in the dead sea. Maybe that's what folks are calling nutrient lock. In any case it never made any sense. It's in the same category as flushing.

zill.
Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it's not a thing. It's definitely a thing, it's basic chemistry, all elements effect the other elements (nutrients) in different ways depending in a variety of factors. I'm not a chemistry buff, maybe @Aqua Man can explain it better. Here's an article that explains some stuff.

kyle57843

kyle57843

What I'm seeing looks like it could be lockout from too much calcium, plus the lights being a touch too bright.

Both potassium and magnesium may have been deficient or locked out at some point, and calcium can mess with both of them. There may be some calcium in your water. Assuming that's the case, only use epsom salts for Mg, and don't use cal/mag.

Don't worry about red or purple petioles. They happen when the petioles are exposed to LED lighting.
Ok awesome thank you I just flushed and halfed the e.c.

Z

Zill

Thanks, TSD. I erred. It's the nutrient lock term threw me. The problem with too much fertilizer is typically throws off the pH and that imbalance locks up nutrients, ppt., making it unavailable to the plant. Rinsing the plants to a low more desirable EC resets your pots back to zero.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Basically nutrient lockout means the plants cannot take up nutrients. There are different reasons you can have a lockout.

pH effects the form and bonds of nutrients so in soil a lower pH calcium is less available and at a high PH iron can become less available. Each individual nutrients availability changes with the pH
3D9F5F62 0D2C 4582 9886 5CFFFF200200

Nutrient ratios are also important and can cause a lockout of one or many nutrients also. Nutrients ratios in relation to eachother effect the availability and demand of other nutrients. See mulders chart below.

4143E848 A067 432C A564 354A5319FF0C

Now the biggest reason many experience a total lockout is due to salinity. Remember salt is a chemistry term not just table salt. Water flows through cells from low to high salinity as to try to reach equilibrium so as your salinity raises the flow of water slows and it can infact atop a plant from being able to drink and thus stop nutrient uptake all together. There is a lot more to this but thats the basics

Z

Zill

Not quite - Water flows through cells from low to high salinity as to try to reach equilibrium so as your salinity raises the flow of water slows and it can infact atop a plant from being able to drink and thus stop nutrient uptake all together.

A high salt solution or water being applied to the plant having a high EC will be taken up by the plant. But as evalotranspiration takes place over time the [salt] reaches “ infinity” and the tissues burns, yellows. It’s an osmosis thing. Equilibrium, I’m happy. A hypotonic solution and the cell draws in water. A hypertonic salt solution causes water to leave the plant, cells, roots to try to maintain equilibrium.

Like I’ve said container growing is tough.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not quite - Water flows through cells from low to high salinity as to try to reach equilibrium so as your salinity raises the flow of water slows and it can infact atop a plant from being able to drink and thus stop nutrient uptake all together.

A high salt solution or water being applied to the plant having a high EC will be taken up by the plant. But as evalotranspiration takes place over time the [salt] reaches “ infinity” and the tissues burns, yellows. It’s an osmosis thing. Equilibrium, I’m happy. A hypotonic solution and the cell draws in water. A hypertonic salt solution causes water to leave the plant, cells, roots to try to maintain equilibrium.

Like I’ve said container growing is tough.
How is this different than what i said?

evalotranspiration never even heard of this word… explanation please

or did you mean Evapotranspiration…. Because all it really has to do with is transpiration.

Sounds like word salad if im being honest. Its not that complicated

Last edited:
Z

Zill

sorry Aqua, Typo. Evapotranspiration. Actually, evaporation is what drives transpiration.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

sorry Aqua, Typo. Evapotranspiration. Actually, evaporation is what drives transpiration.
Not quite but kinda… evapotranspiration is more for measuring water loss of soil. Transpiration is yes driven by evaporation but is strictly the measurement of water through the plant

Latest posts

Top Bottom