need help visualizing the MPB setup

• Thread starter joehank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
joehank

joehank

So based on using Thompsons tubs. If I use 1 cinderblock (8 inches high) for tubs, and keep the far end of drainpipe about 6 inches lower than drain on tub, I will have plenty of slope for good flow back to res.
Thats assuming I can get his tubs, and relocate the fills to the top, possibly straight down through the cover. That will create some movement for sure.

D

Drdre

Guy who digs fat girls
Supporter
Thompson also has a stand for his tubs that are sweet and make thing easy to work. They are also shorter than all those cinder blocks.

D

Drdre

Guy who digs fat girls
Supporter
Also your ceiling should be fine I am running 8ft on mine same system as his

nebulius

nebulius

Capulator,

Wow, your setup looks extremely complicated but probably once setup and dialed in, very simple to maintain. Nice.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
correct, and the same thing will happen here also, but since the barrel is taller than the sites, they will all be at an equal level and will not overflow should a failure occur.
I see his containers sitting on 3 cinderblocks and a piece of wood, so about 25 inches from floor. Add 13 inches for tub and another 5 for lid, thats 43 inches to top of netpot. I only have 7 feet to work with, which leaves only 3 feet of vertical plant space.
I would need to get the sites lower and the far end of the drain higher to make this work for me. Possibly even feed the sites from the top...

maybe UC is best for you. check out ghettogros threads. That way you get the extra couple feet since UC is on the ground.

D

Drdre

Guy who digs fat girls
Supporter
as far as I know it started with a krusty bucket and everyone added there own twist as it developed

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
as far as I know it started with a krusty bucket and everyone added there own twist as it developed

The first system I was ever truly inspired by was Heaths mini coliseum. That thing was a work of art. Check RIU for that one. heath vert coliseum.

D

Drdre

Guy who digs fat girls
Supporter
Cap I can't seem to find that it's here on the farm? What forums?

dankworth

dankworth

Sometimes right before chop I replace all my 1000 watt lamps with 600 watters and pretend I'm Heath Robinson for a minute.

T

tedsprogz

i've never seen the second that you mention. 'have no idea how that could work. can you show an example?

In DD's first version of the MPB, the drain was above the feed forcing water upwards like in thompson's system. He later changed it so that the drain was below the feed so that water was flowing downward. I believe this was to stop the drain from only being halfway submerged.

joehank

joehank

Has anyone had contact with Thompsons lately? I sent him a pm about buying his setup but no responses yet. Does he have a website or something?

Papa

Papa

Supporter
In DD's first version of the MPB, the drain was above the feed forcing water upwards like in thompson's system. He later changed it so that the drain was below the feed so that water was flowing downward. I believe this was to stop the drain from only being halfway submerged.

as far as i can make out, from the pics i've seen of his later buckets, is that the drains are in the same location . . . . but the feed as been moved to the top of the water level (the same level as the drains). i'm working off of the few pics posted in the "10 lb" thread.

several of us inquired about the plumbing changes, but dd hasn't shared an explanation. if that is, in fact, the feed up there at the same level as the drains, it raises a few more questions.

how do you address the "short circuiting" of the water flow? the water would tend to move more directly between feed and drain, and decrease circulation in the bucket.

how do you drain the system for rez changes? in every mpb system i've personally seen, you by-pass the check valve on the feed line to drain the buckets. if that feed line is moved to the top of the buckets, how do you empty them?

joehank

joehank

I think I would feedfrom the top, but maybe with a hose attached that can go inside the bucket towards the bottom. Or I would shoot the feed in from the top of the lid straight down. that would mix things up nicely, depending on the force of the pump.
for draining maybe a small ecoplus pump with a hose attached to stick into the drain line opening, or the good ol' shopvac

D

Drdre

Guy who digs fat girls
Supporter
Feeding from the lid you would think that it would be hard to keep your water level at the perfect level

T

tedsprogz

as far as i can make out, from the pics i've seen of his later buckets, is that the drains are in the same location . . . . but the feed as been moved to the top of the water level (the same level as the drains). i'm working off of the few pics posted in the "10 lb" thread.

several of us inquired about the plumbing changes, but dd hasn't shared an explanation. if that is, in fact, the feed up there at the same level as the drains, it raises a few more questions.

how do you address the "short circuiting" of the water flow? the water would tend to move more directly between feed and drain, and decrease circulation in the bucket.

how do you drain the system for rez changes? in every mpb system i've personally seen, you by-pass the check valve on the feed line to drain the buckets. if that feed line is moved to the top of the buckets, how do you empty them?

That's because DD went to another forum. He explains it a little better, He moves the drain to the bottom and feeds from the top. I'm not allowed to link but google it. I would never have my drain on the same level as the feed unless i was nft or swc.

T

tedsprogz

I like the idea of feed from bottom like Tmail. It keeps the roots in "anti-gravity" lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom