Need Help, With Building Fuel Storage Tank

• Thread starter Joe Fresh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

ok, so a buddy of mine was abke to get a hook up with gas at half price, so i jumped on the occasion and bought a used 65gallon aluminum boat gas tank for 60$, and also plan to get a 670 liter gas tank as well(trucker/farmer style) like this

Need help with building fuel storage tank

so my main questions are for the pumping, how can i hook up a cheap pump to this and still be safe? like the aluminum boat tank has the tube that usually goes to the carb, so i was thinking putting an inline gas pump like those used on some aftermarket cars? would that work? what about the other tank, like the one in the picture, how would i work a pump on that, and what kind?

i mean gas at half price is golden, i think its worth the investment to stalk up, i know this deal wont last forever...let me know what you guys think

sixstring

sixstring

well im not sure if it will fit you taqnk but i use this pump and i been real happy with it.i have it mounted in my truck on a 96 gal tank to fill my loaders and tractor but it fills as fast or faster than the pump at a gas station.not all pumps are rated for fuel so make sure you check.

sixstring

sixstring

i think they make a hand crank version that has a smaller dia inlet like 3/4" maybe

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

ok well the stand is a good idea for the round tank like i have in the pic....thx for the idea, ill be welding myself up a stand

but what about the marine fuel tank? it comes from a boat and looks something liek this

High-Speed-Welding-16375_800x600.JPG

i have the filler hose, and vent hose, plus the outlet that goes to the throttle body/carburetor..the problem is they are all at the same end of the tank...so using gravity wont work for this one..or it will just come out wither the vent tube or fill tube...also the guy who sold it to me said you always need to ground the fill tube, is this true? it has a grounding wire that runs right through the rubber of the fill tube and comes out the tip, he said you always need to ground it or you might cause an explosion...is this true?

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

and another thing about the big cylinder tank, i have not purchased that one yet, but the one im looking at seems to have no bung/drain at the bottom, the cylinder tank im looking at is the exact tank im looking to buy, i just took the pic from the add...does thismean i would have to weld a bung/drain at the bottom? or would i need to buy a fuel pump?

i figure for the boat tank i dont have much choice to get a fuel pump....ill grab some pics from my boat tank when i finally get my SD card usb readers and i can upload some pics

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Really 65 gallons is not much to store. Do they have a set amount they deliver? Delivery charge? Will it be worth storing only 65 gallons ???
would go quick just sayin.....

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Really 65 gallons is not much to store. Do they have a set amount they deliver? Delivery charge? Will it be worth storing only 65 gallons ???
would go quick just sayin.....
well like i said, a buddy of mine has a limited time hook up for gas at half price, i dont know the details, he has a guy he gets it from...but if i can get it at half price then it certainly is worth storing all that i can while supplies last lol

gas is 1.40 a liter here...thats about 5.32 a gallon....if i can get it around 2.50 a gallon...why the fuck not store as much as i can get lol

thats why i got the 65 gallon aluminum tank for 60$(i can resell the aluminum for about that in weight alone lol) and plan to get another tank like the cylinder one in the first pic thats 670liters(roughly 175 gallons) for 350$...together they would add up...

also the aluminum boat tank can be put in to the bed of a pickup nicely and still have the whole pick up bed to use for storage on top the tank, lol....so many uses for that, and only 60$

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

You could still elevate the square one on a stand or even a flat bed and once the siphon is started gravity will do the rest .

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

You could still elevate the square one on a stand or even a flat bed and once the siphon is started gravity will do the rest .
thats a good idea i didnt think about that, but its true it happens with me reservoirs, thats a good point, thx ned

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

The tank for the boat u posted a pic of has got to be worth $1000. Sell that thing and buy a shitload o gas lol.
the one i bought isnt new, the guy owned a boat that had a 300hp 6 inline racing engine that he decided to throw a blower on it...blwe the engine and took it apart and had only this left and sold it to me for 60$..

G gnome

G gnome

I feel like you can still make that work w gravity if u tap new holes in it.
Problem is gonna be transporting the gas. Hope its getting delivered?
You should check out an episode of its always sunny in Philadelphia called the gang solves the gas crisis. It pretty appropriate

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

easiest way to store a small amount like that would be to just go buy a bunch of 5 gallon cans, imo
I use to have fuel delivered to my house for my boats. I kept 20 of them lined up on the sea wall;)

Top Bottom