Need help with getting high (Going Vertical)

• Thread starter Smokey503ski
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

After seeing some pics of how people have gone Vertical has made me wanting to try it also.

Here is what I am wanting to do with what I have now. I have 8 magnum Ocho's and was thinking of taking them and running them Vertical. Is this possible with Magnum reflectors?
I grow in Coco in a feed to waste and was thinking of putting the plants against the wall and having the Magnums hang down Vertical in the room. Kinda like a 360 degree sun. I am wanting to use what I have on hand and keep the air cooled hoods. I do not want to go bare bulb in the room or it will get too hot.
Is this possible with the Magnums to hang them vert or should I sell them and get Cool Tubes?
Any possitive help is wanted. Or funny negative comments are always welcomed.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
damm i wish i had a funny negative comment right now.

i would think you would be better going with something that wont cover one side of the bulb so you can position your lights and plants in a way that gets lighting to more sides of the plants.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I got a hell of a deal on the Ocho's. I could sell them for $180 each and still make money on them.

Guess there going on Craigslist.

Here is question about Vertical lighting... Are you still going for watts per sq. foot in the room? I am at 85 watts per sq. ft. right now with over head lighting. If I go Vert will I notice a bigger yeild?

B

Bobby Smith

You could keep the magnums if you wanted to go to a stadium type design, but I'm in exactly the same boat and I'm selling mine on Craigslist (mine are 6", though).

Buying a pre-made vertical cooltube to fit either 4 6s or 3 1Ks.

B

Bobby Smith

Buy ac not cool tubes

That may be the best move for the OP, but not for me - I'm trying to use all my juice for lighting and keep the room cool using my crawlspace air which is pretty temperate year round.

Ran 1K last two runs fully sealed and with the dehumidifier, AC, heater, etc., it's almost not worth it.

Still gonna run my CO2 burner when temps will allow, but I'd prefer more lumens with intake/outtake (and CO2 when temps will allow).

If it means I can't run CO2 as ofen as I'd like (probably only in the dead of summer), than I'll just deal with that.

J

jakew215

That may be the best move for the OP, but not for me - I'm trying to use all my juice for lighting and keep the room cool using my crawlspace air which is pretty temperate year round.

Ran 1K last two runs fully sealed and with the dehumidifier, AC, heater, etc., it's almost not worth it.

Still gonna run my CO2 burner when temps will allow, but I'd prefer more lumens with intake/outtake (and CO2 when temps will allow).

If it means I can't run CO2 as ofen as I'd like (probably only in the dead of summer), than I'll just deal with that.

yeah i think i agree with JK. if your battling heat for CO2 your setup isnt correct.

you can get a DECENT mini split 24k btu for like 1500. invest in an ac and expand from there. it just removes many headaches and dehumidifies at the same time.

if you have a co2 burner and all this equip how can you not have ac yet? sorry man not trying to bash. just think you should reconsider.

a good mini split wont use a lot of amps. and if you have a 200 amp service you shouldnt be anywhere near your service limit.

J

jakew215

I got a hell of a deal on the Ocho's. I could sell them for $180 each and still make money on them.

Guess there going on Craigslist.

Here is question about Vertical lighting... Are you still going for watts per sq. foot in the room? I am at 85 watts per sq. ft. right now with over head lighting. If I go Vert will I notice a bigger yeild?

if your gonna wanna see a difference in yields per plant then move to vert.

if your growing 50 plants, it wont work. growing overhead and vertical are two different animals.

growing vert is beneficial when you can use a lot of lights all around the plant. you know the typical
XOX
OXO
XOX
OXO
XOX

Such as this setup with 7 plants, has the potential to produce elbows per plant.

its all on how you want your system to work. if your going for yield per watt, vertical isnt the way to go imho.

some might say differently, if your not worried about johnny law, id get another light and run them 3x3 with 99 plants under them.

if you have a plant limit, go the 8 light 7 plant setup.

B

Bobby Smith

yeah i think i agree with JK. if your battling heat for CO2 your setup isnt correct.

you can get a DECENT mini split 24k btu for like 1500. invest in an ac and expand from there. it just removes many headaches and dehumidifies at the same time.

if you have a co2 burner and all this equip how can you not have ac yet? sorry man not trying to bash. just think you should reconsider.

a good mini split wont use a lot of amps. and if you have a 200 amp service you shouldnt be anywhere near your service limit.

Lol..........the price of the mini-split is certainly not what's stopping me; unfortunately, all of us can't be so forthright about our activities, so I need to be somewhat stealth about my cooling.

Unfortunately, that eliminates a mini-split from my list of options.

OP, sorry for the slight threadjack.

J

jakew215

Lol..........the price of the mini-split is certainly not what's stopping me; unfortunately, all of us can't be so forthright about our activities, so I need to be somewhat stealth about my cooling.

Unfortunately, that eliminates a mini-split from my list of options.

OP, sorry for the slight threadjack.

sorry man wasnt tryin to be rudely frank. i understand your situation... sorry for throwin that suggestion out there.

you can box up your inverter in your crawl space maybe? then vent that out side... idk though, im sure you know what your doing.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

My a/c is already dialed in. That is why I run Air cooled hoods. I am at the max with my electricity where I am at. So by getting the Cool Tubes can work. Basically all I need to do is sell 1 Magnum hood and can get 2 Cool Tubes.

Top Bottom