Need help with identifying and treating an issue

• Thread starter Sanji
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Have you tried 700 and gotten deficiencies? I'm not really a hydro guy, but 1200-1600 seems like a lot.

S

Sanji

Have you tried 700 and gotten deficiencies? I'm not really a hydro guy, but 1200-1600 seems like a lot.
1000+ ppm is pretty normal for dwc as far as I know, haven't had any issues before, 700 is what I run for early to mid veg.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

You are getting issues that could very well be related to overfeeding or nutrient imbalance. Have you grown dank buds with this setup and with those numbers? Less is more/Slow is fast, in some things, but if it's been working out in the past then don't let me stop you. Just trying to help.

S

Sanji

You are getting issues that could very well be related to overfeeding or nutrient imbalance. Have you grown dank buds with this setup and with those numbers? Less is more/Slow is fast, in some things, but if it's been working out in the past then don't let me stop you. Just trying to help.
Nah it's all good man I appreciate the input, I'm no expert in cannabis, I've been into gardening my whole life, from fruit trees to flowers and everything in between but I've only gotten into cannabis over the past 4 years or so and I know I have alot to learn.

I've got no real dark leaves, if anything aome lighter colored ones, maybe I was having lockout though which is possible but I've had really nice growth up until last week when this started, I cleaned the res yesterday and reduced the ppm a bit to see what happens as I did recently introduce Cal-mag to try and treat the issue, it increased my ppm by around 300 so I have decided to water down the solution to 1500. I have noticed the spots may have slowed down, maybe some have still appeared but definitely not as many, I think it was a calcium issue but I may have aggravated the problem by not compensating when adding the calmag and reducing the base nutes.

S

Sanji

Getting some super juicy buds off this plant though regardless, hopefully I can keep this issue at bay until harvest, I'm estimating around another 4 weeks, will start checking trichromes over the next 2 weeks
20230321 163338

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Are you starting with RO water? A lot of tap water has sufficient mineral content to forgo using calmag. Calmag caused a lot of issues, I've seen. It's not just calcium and magnesium. Most times it's calcium nitrate in there, which can throw off your npk. 300ppm of calmag seems like a lot to be adding on top of 1500ppm of bloom nutes, just saying.

S

Sanji

Are you starting with RO water? A lot of tap water has sufficient mineral content to forgo using calmag. Calmag caused a lot of issues, I've seen. It's not just calcium and magnesium. Most times it's calcium nitrate in there, which can throw off your npk. 300ppm of calmag seems like a lot to be adding on top of 1500ppm of bloom nutes, just saying.
I use tap water which is 80ppm consistently, the whole reason I started adding calmag is because I was having what seemed to be a calcium deficiency and my ph has been spot on, and yeah 300ppm does seem like alot, and believe it or not that was less than half of the recommended dose on the bottle lol

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Calcium deficiency can be caused by a surplus of other nutrients, namely magnesium and potassium. Overfeeding can manifest itself in visual deficiencies because of nutrient imbalances. Balance is what it's all about. That's why I suggest 700 ppm. Because if balanced properly, that should be enough to feed a good sized plant.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Adding calmag to anything throws off the balance unless it's part of the balance in the first place. Take your tap at 80ppm, it contains calcium and magnesium and other micronutrients most likely. I wouldn't see the need to have any more than 80-100ppm of calmag added, if any at all. A lot of bottled nutes have micronutrients added for a balanced ratio.

Last edited:
S

Sanji

Adding calmag to anything throws off the balance unless it's part of the balance in the first place.
It's just calcium chloride and magnesium nitrate with some iron, shouldn't be an issue if you compensate by reducing other nutrients which is why I decided to dilute the solution, I have had absolutely 0 issues throughout this whole grow well over 1000ppm, as of today the symptoms have slowed so I will monitor over the next couple of days and decide where to go from there, It was super comfortable at 1400 ppm and even 1600, but maybe 1900 was pushing it once I added the calmag, sitting at 1500 now so I will see what occurs.over the next couple days

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Those nute companies know what's best for your plant. Or was it pocketbook? Their pocketbook, that's right. If it works for you, then I don't have much else to say. Happy growing.

S

Sanji

Those nute companies know what's best for your plant. Or was it pocketbook? Their pocketbook, that's right. If it works for you, then I don't have much else to say. Happy growing.
Well if you read what I said you will see that I was using half (50%) of their recommended dose, which gave me explosive growth and 75% now which I have dialed back as I mentioned.

Top Bottom