need help with oil consistancy!!!

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

everytime i make oil from some good bud it turns to shatter! i do not want shatter... i grew some weed last year,, turned out ok, ( im a beginner) but ive been makingoil from it and it gets to a nice gooey consistancy. when my friends ask me to make it for them they give me blue dream, and other great buds and it turns to shatter although im following the exact same process.. am i doing soething wrong or does better weed produce only a shatter oil????

germinator

germinator

Purge with hot water bath maintain waters temp the whole way .......in my experience high heat at purge equals gooey oily product. I would not be shocked if some strains require more heat than others.

mikeb437

mikeb437

I had the plate directly on the stove to heat it up. It actually looked like the oil was bubbling it was so hot. The oil turned out to be a dark amber color rather than a nice golden color. But it still turned hard after cooling. I dont know why i cant get it to turn out oily. I heard a higher purge heat produces an oil substance but when i use good buds i cant make it happen.. Im frustrated!!

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

Shatter is the best preservation of thc in it's original form. Heat over 170 should break it down to oil. U can go as High as 240, but I only do that for topicals, it will also darken the oil. Why do you want oil over shatter?

Graywolf

Graywolf

everytime i make oil from some good bud it turns to shatter! i do not want shatter... i grew some weed last year,, turned out ok, ( im a beginner) but ive been makingoil from it and it gets to a nice gooey consistancy. when my friends ask me to make it for them they give me blue dream, and other great buds and it turns to shatter although im following the exact same process.. am i doing soething wrong or does better weed produce only a shatter oil????

You didn't outline your process, but the oil starts out as shatter and gets gooey with either retained solvent or decarboxylation.

If you put the oil container in a 250F oil bath, it will rapidly decarboxylate it and make it increasingly looser and gooeyer.

Check out the process and decarboxylation graph at http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

mikeb437

mikeb437

I usually have it sitting on a hot plate and set it at 250 degrees. Like i said, it only happens when i use good buds and not regs. It always turns out dArk amber because i use so much heat. The laser thermometer i use seems like it just goes thru the oil and i dont get a good temp reading on it. I like the oil because i have a dabber and a dome bong so its easier for me to smoke with the oil.. And i hate when the shatter breaks off in a million pieces and flies all over the room.

mikeb437

mikeb437

You didn't outline your process, but the oil starts out as shatter and gets gooey with either retained solvent or decarboxylation.

If you put the oil container in a 250F oil bath, it will rapidly decarboxylate it and make it increasingly looser and gooeyer.

Check out the process and decarboxylation graph at http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

I warm a pie plate,, then i blast into it. Sometimes i use a hot water bath with boiling water. Other times i will just place on a griddle set at 250 degrees and i stir until there is no more bubbling and its just a nice oil. It usually takes me 20 to 30 min of stirring tomake sure. Then i scoop up..

mikeb437

mikeb437

Evedently i do not know what actual shatter is! I thought it was called shatter because when you broke a piece off it would shatter all over the place. I now know that shatter is a nice firm consistancy that breaks off nicely and it will soften at room temp. The crap i was making had soo much shit in it because i wasnt purging enough or correctly. I bought a vac chamber and i now know how sweet good shatter can be!

Latest posts

Top Bottom